Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Sonikku » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:28 pm

redline wrote: just saw star wars rogue one.

Fuck you.

I mean, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

Catching the preshow in six and a half hours because I live in a country that gets it second. :sad:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: redline
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Holy. Fuck. It's a fucking 10/10 for me. It's an even more beautiful love letter to Star Wars than Episode VII was. And despite its obvious shift to a darker tone it's also somehow even truer to the original trilogy than VII was. The way they pulled off that 80s scifi look without it feeling goofy in the slightest... they made it look modern without making it look modern, it's fucking brilliant.

Don't click this if you haven't seen it. And try to see it as soon as possible and avoid spoilers, seriously. :D
All those great references, storm troopers running through the hallway and all that. Those retarded looking X-Wing pilots with their moustaches and obesity, just like in the old movies! The ATATs and ATSTs. The way they made those places feel dirty and authentic and somehow "close", for the lack of a better word.. that market or crowd where Jynn and the rebel dude have to pass through, with all those species and typically strange looking Star Wars creatures just felt so believable, and threatening in a way. Less goofy than in the old ones, in accordance with the darker tone. And holy shit man, Vader. Nobody will care about those Vader scenes in Episode III after this. The scene where he's in the tank. And when he slices his way through that hallway at the end, holy shit. Just, holy shit. Ho. Ly. Shit. Might be the best Vader scene there is. Also, it was exactly the right amount of screentime for him I think.. damn. The humour was spot-on, too, and didn't disrupt the tone too much. And some of those characters were really loveable. The whole thing was so much fun.
One minor criticism: Tarkin's obviously animated CGI-face was fucking irritating.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonikku » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:27 pm

Alright just got back. I enjoyed it more than Force Awakens. I give Rogue one a 8.5. Basically the movie is a 7, but it gets an extra half point due to the droid and a whole extra point for Vader. Because fucking Christ man.
I think what I was surprised by the most was Disney willing to portray the rebels in a semi negative light, namely when killing an innocent in cold blood out of necessity. Of the easter eggs I noticed (besides the obvious ones) was General Hux from Episode 7 serving the role of a jr. officer aboard the Executor, the Ghost from Star Wars Rebels, a wanted hologram for Kyle Katarn, Bail Organa and possibly a Millenium Falcon sighting on Yavin 4, the latter of which does not make sense to me. (only saw it out of the corner of my eye so I could be wrong)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby redline » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:48 am

Sonikku, i think your feelings towards this film are like mine.

its not an amazing film, like they are trying to hype it up to be but its a good star wars film aimed at older fans.
vader hacking people up & the whole cast dying, is pretty bold.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Alex Jones should be a staple in any cyberpunk story, the fat guy that tells you illuminati conspiracies and tries to sell you health supplements.

Reality has some great writers.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Mr357 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:30 pm

shredingskin wrote:Alex Jones should be a staple in any cyberpunk story, the fat guy that tells you illuminati conspiracies and tries to sell you health supplements.

Reality has some great writers.

Have you played Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Throughout the game you can find radios that play either music from the original Deus Ex, or an underground political talk show with a host very similar to Alex Jones.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Tried it, but I just have a mental block when those customizations come (I just go online and search "best way to play X " then end up not playing it). Also I don't enjoy much action games.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Caught the 11:15 AM showing of Rogue One in an almost empty theater. Wow they did a magnificent job with this movie. This is the best of the modern star wars films, its daring, its dark, they showed us new locales we havent seen before that were cool, they gave no fucks, and it just told a significant story that was for the most part based on just a few lines of dialogue from A New Hope concerning the death star plans. This film stays so true to the episodes 4 5 and 6 and literally ends right where A New Hope begins (its like the Crisis Core of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII games, a welcome surprise). The film begins well too, gives you enough back story on the characters to know whats going on, a bad ass droid that actually fights which we havent seen, and the blind asian dudes scene was great. It was just entertaining and attention keeping the whole time for me, my one gripe would be some of the CGI characters (which luckily didnt get much screen time, which was a good thing). Also DARTH FUCKING VADER... wow, those scenes were satisfying. Top to bottom a great star wars film, I really enjoyed what they did here, I am satisfied for sure.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:19 pm

shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:30 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Caught the 11:15 AM showing of Rogue One in an almost empty theater. Wow they did a magnificent job with this movie. This is the best of the modern star wars films, its daring, its dark, they showed us new locales we havent seen before that were cool, they gave no fucks, and it just told a significant story that was for the most part based on just a few lines of dialogue from A New Hope concerning the death star plans. This film stays so true to the episodes 4 5 and 6 and literally ends right where A New Hope begins (its like the Crisis Core of the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII games, a welcome surprise). The film begins well too, gives you enough back story on the characters to know whats going on, a bad ass droid that actually fights which we havent seen, and the blind asian dudes scene was great. It was just entertaining and attention keeping the whole time for me, my one gripe would be some of the CGI characters (which luckily didnt get much screen time, which was a good thing). Also DARTH FUCKING VADER... wow, those scenes were satisfying. Top to bottom a great star wars film, I really enjoyed what they did here, I am satisfied for sure.

What puzzles me is those lines of dialogue were seemingly ignored as Vader tells Leia that her ship was beamed transmissions of the Death Star's plans. In Rogue One however she's basically handed them in physical form. I know, I know. Nit picking.

It also begs the question of why the Empire even bothers training stormtroopers if a logistics droid is a much more accurate and efficient killing machine. :-k
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:20 pm

Sonikku wrote:

It also begs the question of why the Empire even bothers training stormtroopers if a logistics droid is a much more accurate and efficient killing machine. :-k

A re-programmed one. And also, remember Episode I and the droid army? Thats likely why... I think K was a special case because of his "re-programming" that must of have been a hell of a re-programing at that.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:10 am

came across this while looking for artists on youtube. its quite interesting.

wish i had the skill/knowledge to do what hes doing, i would love a job as a graphic artist.

phpBB [video]
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Now that is a crap load of layers. :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 pm

redline wrote: i would love a job as a graphic artist.

;-)
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby redline » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:13 pm

shredingskin wrote:
redline wrote: i would love a job as a graphic artist.

;-)

being a successful artist = licence to print money \:D/
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic