So, how many of you think that you’ve got a mental disorder?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Do you? (Total votes: 21)

Yes
57%
No
24%
Nah, mental disorders are for pussies
19%

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:24 pm

To be perfectly honest, I think I might have a very mild case of "schizophrenia" if thats what you wanna call it, sometimes I just think I hear things, and then I realize its nothing, never saw anything or nothing like that, at least not when I was sober.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Re: So, how many of you think that you’ve got a mental disor

Postby hannamarin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:09 am

I think, almost everybody has thought this way at least once, follow http://skywritingservice.com/blog/dont-be-fooled-real-symptoms-of-an-anxiety-attack and try to distonguish the real anxiety attack!
hannamarin
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Holy thread bump Batman! [/internet 2005-ish]

St. Elmo's Fire has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Monkei
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Re:

Postby Sonikku » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:17 pm

SpringChick wrote: Social Phobia, OCD, depression. Had them all for years. Life isn't fun.

That moment when you read an ancient necro thread and realize you're the new SpringChick around here. :shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Re:

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:15 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: To be perfectly honest, I think I might have a very mild case of "schizophrenia" if thats what you wanna call it, sometimes I just think I hear things, and then I realize its nothing, never saw anything or nothing like that, at least not when I was sober.

Shortly after I wrote this crazy shit started happening, hallucinations, which I havent really experienced since then, that was well over 10 years ago. Still cant explain the shit that was happening at that time, interesting to see what i posted and thought back then. Now all I really know is that I am a crazy mother fucker, with un-diagnosed disorders. I have since been evaluated and told that I have dis-orders but they dont fall under any specific guide lines of what is considered diagnosible in medicine. Basically I dip into multiple areas with my dis orders but im not all the way down the rabbit hole in any of them, its just like 5-7 categories I fall under. I am a special kind of mental. :mrgreen:
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Snakiest » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:22 am

There is a name for everything these days, so yeah, who doesn't? -)
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:53 am

Well I'm diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and am on the autistic spectrum, so... :P

I also experience intermittent clinical depression, associated with said social anxiety. In layman's terms, I get profoundly lonely.

In my experience (anecdotal though it is,) there's no correlation between passionate fandoms and mental illness. But what's important to remember is that mental illness can affect anyone, at any time, and is ultimately just an illness like any other. The reason it garners such a stigma or a particular kind of attention compared to physical disease, is simply because our minds are where our sense of identity and personhood live. So when that becomes somehow perceived as "defective" people feel it's somehow far worse than a physical ailment.

In reality though, is IS a physical ailment. The brain was a physical organ (or group of organs) last time I checked. :) And like any physical ailment, people respond differently to different treatment regimens, some make full recoveries, and others struggle with them chronically all their lives.

As it pertains to Shenmue though... I'm sure my autistic side probably does make the minutia and detail oriented worlds of the games a little more attractive to me than they might otherwise be. :p But I'm also sure there are far more people who love them who aren't in that boat.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Mr. Frozen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Holy fuck, this is an old thread. Is hannamarin an advertising bot?

Anyway, I guess I'll share something to try to help bring this old thread back to life. I was diagnosed with dysthymia (I guess now it is called persistent depressive disorder?) in 2013. Apparently I had this shit since I was about 12 years old. I only saw a psychiatrist because I became alcoholic as fuck and basically my job forced me to go see a psychiatrist. Psychiatrist also thought I possibly had social anxiety and ADD but he didn't give me an official diagnoses since he figured it all came from the long-term depression. Basically no matter what I did in life, I was never happy. Like people would tell me I did great things but I always thought I could do better and felt shit about it. I could go into further detail, but it was typical for anyone who has depression; negative thoughts about oneself and lack of motivation. Social life was pretty much nonexistent due to low self esteem and social anxiety. There was one point where I was seriously suicidal. I decided to reject treatment for a few months and things went seriously south. Thankfully I seriously studied why one would be suicidal and managed to convince myself that suicide is always irrational for a physically healthy person.

After about 3 years in therapy, I feel that I am fairly cured. Social anxiety is completely gone but no idea to tell if the depression is gone without more time. Psychiatrist tells me my lack of social anxiety is a coping mechanism for something negative that happened to me a few years ago, but I don't think that is true.

Mr. Frozen has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Monkei
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby PILMAN » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:04 am

I am diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, and it absolutely sucks. I know that depending on who you ask, OCD is classified as either a biological or mental disorder, but it's controversial if the cause of it is genetic or from some sort of brain damage from something like TBI or a infection and simply an offset of something else. It is nothing like what the media or people think it is, essentially it's intrusive thoughts they keep repeating themselves repetitively that somethings wrong when there's nothing wrong, and creates doubt about well..everything. Fortunately, I have had it under control for quite some time now, but lack of sleep definitely will trigger it. Also have anxiety =/

My father had bipolar disorder and killed himself when I was 17, so that does run in the family as well unfortunately.

PILMAN has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to Off Topic