What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Thief » Sun May 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 for the second time today, this time with my Mom who hadn't seen it yet. I think this is Marvel's best movie yet. Extremely tight script with interesting and relevant character arcs, genuinely funny moments (even if they outweigh the serious bits a bit too much), characters I actually care about, an interesting villain, and it may be long but it doesn't feel long. All around great movie—I'm dreading the moment when the guardians meet the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe....

OL wrote: Ex Machina [...] with kind of a weak "twist"

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I found the ending to that movie to be particularly strong mostly because
you're never really sure if she had artificial intelligence. I remember having a lengthy discussion with my dad afterwards considering different aspects of the movie in relation to the Chinese room argument and artificial intelligence. I'm not sure if it was emotionally impactful, from a movie-sense, but it at least sparked some interesting discussion and had some intellectual worth. Not my favorite movie, but I found the twist to be pretty alright.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 pm

Saw Guardians 2, was pretty cool to see a bit more about star lords back ground and family. I am beginning to wonder how many mix tapes there actually are though. Also the part with teenager groot was funny.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Wed May 24, 2017 12:25 am

Watched Alien: Covenant on IMAX today. It's better than Prometheus, and probably my favorite after the first two movies.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 am

Just got back from the theater also seeing Alien Covenant. I dont think it was nearly as good as Prometheus but was satisfied with it plenty, it makes Prometheus make more sense. Was cool to finally get some answers that were left from Prometheus, not to mention the origin of the Xenomorphs themselves was explained. Still not everything is answered from prometheus, but at least it answered more than it made more questions. Prometheus is much more of a mind fuck of a film, but I think by the end of this trilogy it will be a nice 3 film experience, the exposure of information to the viewer seems like its at the right pace. The first half of Covenant I was just thinking "is this actually gonna have anything to do with Prometheus?" and then the flood gates are opened and you are like, ok now its starting to piece together the puzzle, and not just from prometheus but the entire alien collective and in that respect this movie had my attention and engaged my thoughts. I was kind of picking apart everything I was seeing and remembering the other films, it pays homage a bit more to the original Alien as well. But some of the dialogue could be better but the story and David and Walter keep it all together, the crew seem like just that, random crew members so I never really felt like they were anything special. The crew was better in Prometheus.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:56 am

Saw Wonder Woman some time ago.

Honestly, it's a great shining example of why it was such a bad fucking idea to release BvS first. The Marvel way of handling these movies just works better. Not to mention we already had a million and five different Superman and Batman variations, but not one Wonder Woman movie. Just about everyone wanted to see a WW movie. Everyone.

People have compared it to Captain America because of the war aspect, but I think it's more similar to Iron Man in that it excites people and effectively starts a cinematic universe. Yeah, we already saw Gadot's WW in BvS but I wasn't that impressed with her (except in the fighting parts). I was more like "wtf is she doing here, exactly?" Having seen her standalone film, however, I look back at those scenes more fondly. Why? Because I feel like I know the character better this time. And had they released this first, she would've gotten way more screentime. Deservedly too.

The movie itself was fun and enjoyable but it does has its problems. The entire third act is pretty much poopy and filled with too much stupid. But i'm willing to forgive that and Gadot's medicore to pretty bad acting (even in this film) because I really enjoyed the Amazonians fighting. I enjoyed WW getting into these little adventures. I enjoyed WW fighting. I enjoyed Chris Pine's little awkward, funny moments. I enjoyed Doctor Poison's (even though it was limited) screentime. I enjoyed all that.

Truthfully the whole movie could've been Gadot spinning around in her costume and I would've enjoyed it. Mostly because she's a damn beautiful woman and they lit her magnificently on purpose to highlight that. But that plus the fun was the reason why people responded so strongly to it. None of that Man of Steel or Suicide Squad shit. This is what people wanted. And I hope to see more of it in the future.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 am

Star Trek Beyond & Star Trek Into Darkness. I watch because I love Star Trek but I really don't approve of JJ Trek in many ways. I don't hate them. I just have some issues with them. Nitpicks really.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 am

Resident Evil Vendetta.

Another CGI movie of the series. It might be not much in the way of character development or complex plot, but the movie is pure fan service and the story sits well with the tone of the videogame series. Though I'm not happy with one major RE character being basically rebooted to fit the story, the action is really amazing with stunt work varying between Mission Impossible and John Wick. Actually Leon really feels like he's being played by Keanu Reeves in this. The movie is not gonna win any new accolades for the series, but for fans Vendetta might be the best movie (including any of the live action versions) so far.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby myshtuff » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 am

Bluecast wrote: Star Trek Beyond & Star Trek Into Darkness. I watch because I love Star Trek but I really don't approve of JJ Trek in many ways. I don't hate them. I just have some issues with them. Nitpicks really.

As a star trek fan I usually explain it like this. The latest star trek movies are good action movies that happen to be set in the star trek universe. They aren't good star trek movies, but they are still fun to watch. Hell, even the original movies weren't that great. There were maybe 2-3 that were good and the rest weren't worth watching. Star trek will always be best in the shows where there is time to develop stories and characters.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: Bluecast
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:18 pm

Finally saw Get Out.

Very pleased with it. A smart idea, told simply. Stylish, without being overbearing. Modestly made, without appearing cheap.

A lot of "low" budget horror films make me roll my eyes because of how by the numbers they are, and while not completely original, Get Out puts an interesting spin on a lot of old tropes without having to reinvent the wheel to succeed in feeling fresh.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Dawn of Planet of the Apes. Google sent a coupon for $1 rental. I almost got Rogue One but it's coming to Netflix late next month. I liked it. It's nice to see neither is really portrayed as the villain and that they both have bad seeds in an otherwise community just trying to survive. Never really liked the old films and tried watching the old TV series and animated series. hey really tried but fell flat. So I do look forward to War of Planet of the Apes later this year.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:46 am

myshtuff wrote:
Bluecast wrote: Star Trek Beyond & Star Trek Into Darkness. I watch because I love Star Trek but I really don't approve of JJ Trek in many ways. I don't hate them. I just have some issues with them. Nitpicks really.

As a star trek fan I usually explain it like this. The latest star trek movies are good action movies that happen to be set in the star trek universe. They aren't good star trek movies, but they are still fun to watch. Hell, even the original movies weren't that great. There were maybe 2-3 that were good and the rest weren't worth watching. Star trek will always be best in the shows where there is time to develop stories and characters.

The Abrams and Fast and Furious Trek movies are basically Star Wars movies with Star Trek characters in it.

I like the old Trek movies though. Insurrection is probably the worst one but it felt more like an extended episode of the TV show than a real movie. I was never really that crazy for Wrath of Khan either, it's not terrible but I actually enjoyed the slow as molasses original better. I didn't even mind V, supposedly that's the worst one but I thought it was pretty good. Even IV with the whales and shit, as stupid of an idea that is it's one of my favorites.

There's a certain charm to the older movies that these new ones don't have.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Saw Wonder Woman a ways back, and even though I was looking forward to it so much, I have to admit it was much, much weaker than I'd been hoping.
It's wasn't terrible, mind you. It's just one of those things where the buzz and reviews seem so ridiculously positive that the actual movie feels really underwhelming when you finally see it. Seriously, with that 90-something percent on Rotten Tomatoes (a bracket that's usually reserved for Pixar movies and whatnot), I thought it was gonna be a sure thing, that I was gonna love it to pieces.
But no. Not so much.
It did have some really good qualities. First things first, it wasn't heavy-handed at all with the various social messages it relays. Sure, there's an overall feminist "thing" to it, but only insomuch as that it features a woman (actually quite a number of them at the start) doing amazing things and setting a good example. However, at no point did it feel like it was shoving anything down my throat. It's the absolute polar opposite of the overbearing shitshow that was the first season of Supergirl, for example, where at every turn it was trying to shove the message in your face that women are just as capable as men (which was hilariously ironic, because Supergirl herself was very obviously less-capable than her male equivalent). Wonder Woman does it without being obnoxious or overly-insistent though; it's just there, in the film's content, and you can either take it to heart or just enjoy it as a dumb action flick. It doesn't feel like it's trying too hard to prove anything, and all by itself that's far more effective than having a bunch of front-and-center yammering about women's rights, capabilities, and worth.
It even does this with the subject of racism in just about the most graceful way possible. One character explains how he didn't originally want to be a soldier; he wanted to be an actor. But, as he explains, he wasn't the right color.
And boom; right there, in a single line of dialogue, the movie has said it all. Racism is bullshit, racism is wrong. A single line of dialogue, and you've expressed the only point you need to make about that issue, while also making me like that particular character just a little more. Polar Opposite to, say, Django Unchained (Tarantino's worst movie by a damn mile) for example, which was basically three hours of "racism is bad, white people are evil, racism is bad, oh, and also white people are evil. And did we say racism is bad? Christoph Waltz is cool, but otherwise white people are evil."
Nothing elegant about the storytelling there in the least.
Also on the good side of things, Gal Gadot is still pretty much perfect in the title role. It's not a particularly demanding role by any acting stretch, but she has the looks, the presence, the voice, and the physicality for it, and honestly, that's all the really important stuff you need for Wonder Woman. No complaints there. Likewise, Chris Pine has exactly the right balance of good actor/comedic timing to keep things light and enjoyable, and the rest of the cast is plenty capable in those departments as well. Really nothing wrong with those aspects.

The issues I have with the movie come more in the department of directing, I think, than anything else.
Patty Jenkins is getting a ton of credit for pretty much being the first female director for a movie of this style and size... but man, the fact that she's never done anything like this fucking shows throughout the entire thing. With a few small exceptions (if you've seen the trailers, you've seen the good stuff) the action is really, really lame.
Like, "early-2000s, riding on the success of The Matrix trilogy" lame.
The fight choreography for the Amazons is overly-flippy and ridiculously silly to look at. It's overly-showy and impractical, and it had me squinting my eyes in disbelief that, in this fucking day and age, some directors still think that this is the kind of thing that passes as cool and exciting. The full-body cg used for some of the action also looks really rubbery and incredibly fake. Shocking that anyone can make cg this bad and actually have it approved for wide-release in this kind of movie anymore... but hey, being that Patty Jenkins has literally no experience with this kind of stuff, I guess I can understand how it happened.
Likewise there's far too much unnecessary slow-motion used. It's the kind of thing where WW might punch one guy, punch another, then as she's going into the next punch it slows waaaaaay down for a couple seconds... then it comes out of slo-mo for the next hit. It's pointless, to an absolute and utter extreme, and adds nothing to the action. People like to shit all over him, but Zack Snyder had the right idea about this stuff in BvS; when Batman bursts into a room and takes down ten to fifteen guys and absolutely no slow-motion is used in the entire scene, it increases the impact of the scene tenfold. The choreography itself hits really fucking hard, and it leaves you with a lot of extra details that you may miss at first, making repeat viewings even better. I mean, think about some of the best action you've seen in movies in the past several years; chances are, almost no slow-motion was used. John Wick, Logan, the BvS Batman brawl, etc. All amazing stuff, all in real-time.
It's an action style that makes everything feels really modern and new, whereas the overuse of slow-mo in WW makes it feel like something that was made around 2002. Dated and silly.
A smaller note, but still relevant, is the editing; was it just me, or did it feel like there were tons of scenes where the last camera shot just goes on for a couple seconds too long? Like, the scene ends with something that's supposed to be funny, something that's supposed to make the audience chuckle... and for some reason, Jenkins saw fit to leave a couple seconds there, as if to leave the audience time to settle back down and stop laughing. It's like when you remove the laugh track from a sitcom, and suddenly you're left with all these awkward pauses. It feels weird.
Last thing, the final shot of Wonder Woman... what the fuck was the point of that? It's yet another one of those things that feels like a silly trope of late-90s/early-2000s action flicks. Yeah, end with a slow-motion shot of the heroine jumping at the camera, all battle-ready and shit! Yeah, that stuff's cool!
Except... what the fuck is she jumping at? She was literally just standing atop a tower overlooking the Thames River. Why is she jumping off of it, looking like she's about the attack the shit out of someone? It's a silly trailer shot, just for the sake of having a trailer shot.
Yet another of those things that just feels like the planning of a director who doesn't understand how to make this stuff legitimately cool, someone without any eye for action. Sure sure, I understand that people felt it was important to have a woman directing the Wonder Woman movie... I get that. But, if they're going to automatically exclude all the usual men who actually know how to do this shit correctly, couldn't they have at least gotten a woman with even an ounce of action experience (off the top of my head, Kathryn Bigelow probably would have been a fine choice)?

I dunno. Like I said, I don't hate the movie, and I think it did some things right, specifically in regards to themes and scripting. But in the end I just don't really think it was made for me; instead, I kind of feel like it was very specifically made with the mindset that a lot of little girls are going to go see it.
Eh, Wonder Woman will be in Justice League regardless, and no doubt that'll be much more up my alley. I was just hoping the solo movie would hit with me a little more, but instead it was more of a light tap.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:39 pm

^
I think everyone who doesn't get caught up in all the female role model stuff agrees it's a decent, but not great film. Everyone I've talked to agrees that the slow-mo and the third act were ass.

OL wrote:Kathryn Bigelow probably would have been a fine choice

She is a fine choice if you know what I mean.

Calshot has received a thanks from: OL
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby sand4fish » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:48 pm

phpBB [video]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:03 am

The Director's Cut of Ridley Scott's Legend. Always loved the essence of this movie. The original Jerry Goldsmith music (with the quasi-musical first half) is just absolutely incredible, and the entire thing is pure cinematographic and set design genius. When I was a kid, everyone said with complete honesty that Legend was "the Zelda movie". Maybe that was just an American thing, but my 8 year old brain fully believed this, and I first loved it as such, and all the other cool kids in school did too, and we weren't joking when we referred to Jack as Link, Lili as Princess Zelda, Darkness as Ganon, the Magic Sword as the Master Sword, and even long after we knew better, after 1998 the fairy Oona became Navi.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic