What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby Mr357 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Interstellar

I barely heard about it when it was new, and just got around to watching it last night. I think my expectations were a little too high, but it was still enjoyable and the cinematography was excellent. The ending was a total cop out though; I found it far too predictable and unfulfilling.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Trainspotting 2.

What an absolute fucking monster of a movie. That movie completely defines the power of cinema for me. You really need to have been there (or closely roundabouts) for the original to truly get this movie. If you have.... for me that's been the best movie of the past decade. Honestly, I left the cinema with hairs on my arms standing and my heart pounding. Some of the lines, the soundtrack, the direction, and that fucking redone "Choose Life" speech just made my adrenaline pound and tears well up in my eyes. So relevant to today, and what's wrong with the world: "Choose Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, spew your bile all over it in the hope that some cunt you've never met before and actually gives a fuck."

Honestly, a powerful movie if you let it, and not walk into it with the expectation and wonder, "if it will be better than the original".

Peter has received a thanks from: redline
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby redline » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:14 am

hacksaw ridge was a movie i really enjoyed.

some parts are really gory, some parts are silly but overall probably one of the best war/anti-war movie in 10 years

one of the few times left the cinema and thought it was truly worth going to see on the big screen.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jibby » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 am

Know it's not a movie, but I just finished the first season of Black Mirror on Netflix. It's really dark but I absolutely loved it, especially the episode 'Fifteen Million Merits'. Would definitely recommend!

(Oops, just realised I should have posted this in the TV show thread! Didn't see it before posting #-o )
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Monkei » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:18 am

Jibby wrote:absolutely loved it [...] Would definitely recommend!

We all did, we all would! :p
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:24 pm

Yeah, Hacksaw Ridge was a solid movie, glad to see Mel Gibson directing again, Apocalypto is one of my favourite films. It's slow at the start but once you get to those war scenes it's like a horror movie. Best War film I've seen in a decade.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:35 am

John Wick Chapter 2.
Just... wow.
Starts a little slow (just like the first movie does), but once it really starts rolling, it starts rolling. Some of the best action I've ever seen. I'll compare it to some John Woo flicks, just as reference: if the first John Wick was sort of the modern day equivalent to The Killer, then John Wick 2 is Hard Boiled. That's how much they ramp this shit up. It's batshit bonkers insane, and I love it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:33 pm

^ I'm so looking forward to that.. loved the action in the first one.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:05 pm

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Note: don't watch this movie if prone to depression or very lonely romance-wise in your life lol.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 pm

The Hateful 8. It was an entertaining flick, done in classic Tarantino style. It reminded me a bit of how Reservoir Dogs is set up, and how most of the movie takes place in one place. The dialogue is what you would expect, and is engaging, bloody and gorey and pretty damn brutal, boy do I love this mans films.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:08 pm

I remember watching it with my mother and she still insists she could scarcely imagine someone would film a scene like the one Jackson did with the general's son in the snow for a movie. :lol:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 pm

That was kind of like the gimp scene in pulp fiction. Then shortly before the way warren psychologically attacked the general to the point he wanted to kill him, but tbh even that could have been a lie. The character variety in this one was great as well.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am

saw logan today, i would give it a 8/10

i think they over sold it a bit. i guess its good to see an ending to a main character, just sucks the movie is such a downer.

i think x-men should of ended with days of future past, imo thats the best xmen movie.. anyway if you can wait, i would say rent logan on dvd.

redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:37 am

I dunno, I thought it was pretty incredible, definitely worth the theater experience. As mainstream comicbook movies go, this was insanely good, and absolutely bucks the grand majority of formulaic elements that usually make these movies so underwhelming (and progressively more and more boring).
There's almost nothing in the way of sassy quip-trading, there's no forced love interest, there are no airship action climaxes, no one is out to "save the world." Hell, there's not even an element of revenge in it, even when
events happen that might justify such actions; instead, Logan would rather just drive away and keep to himself.

It's primarily a movie about a couple of disillusioned old guys who have lost their place in the world. It's about what kind of legacy they might leave behind, and whether reality matters more than the myths that have sprung up around them. I might not be that old, but I definitely feel old enough that all this stuff really resonated with me personally.
It's No Country For Old Men meets The Last of Us meets Wolverine (obviously).
Among comicbook movies -- particularly ones based on superheroes of all things -- the movie is wildly different from what we usually get, and actually has some amount of depth to it beyond what we're explicitly shown and told. I would really, wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who thinks these kinds of movies are getting stale, because it absolutely proves that that doesn't have to be the case. These movies don't have to be the same shit over and over.
And that's not even mentioning how incredibly brutal and satisfying the action is. Every time it kicked in, I got a mile-wide smile on my face, because finally someone has gotten Wolverine fight scenes right. If only the action could have been this badass in all of his previous movie appearances; it wasn't possible due to ratings constraints, but now that we have an honest-to-goodness R-rated Wolverine movie, it's finally happened. And they went all out with it. It's just a bummer that it's the last time we'll see it with Hugh Jackman. But goddamn, what a note to go out on.

All that being said, I think it's pretty safe to say that Fox are doing a pretty major turnaround from just a few years ago, when they fouled up the Fantastic Four so thoroughly. Allowing movies like Deadpool and Logan to be made (which both feel like films in which the studio backed away and actually trusted the filmmakers to create something good) feels like a big couple of steps in the right direction for them. Hopefully they keep on like that. They've also got this show Legion on FX, which is thus far, in my oh-so-humble opinion, just about the best show on tv at the moment.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:26 am

I watched the original Indiana Jones movies because they were on Prime. They look great in HD, I think Temple of Doom is the weakest of the 3, but they are still such fun movies. I could have watched Crystal Skull which I still havent seen, but I skipped it lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic