What movie are you watching right now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What movie are you watching right now?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:56 pm

Just finished watching The Secret of Nimh for the first time since i was a kid. I am blown away. The hand painted background animation is gorgeous and the story is light hearted and classic. They dont make them like this anymore, nothing even close. Plus it has that trippy dark fantasy to it thats a little more mature with lots of detail. I think this might be one of my favorite animated movies now, very well done, glad i watched it again after all these years.

Ant Man. More interesting than I expected, I can see why from a Cinematic aspect it was a good comic book movie to give the green light even though its a smaller much more niche franchise. All the ant eye view camera work and what not made this one an interesting watch, plus it was an all right movie on its own. Now I all I have to watch is Age of Ultron and Civil War and I will be caught up with the Marvel Movie continuum.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:16 am

I finally finished off the last Terminator movie Genisys. It was alright, it was kind of a different take on the original movie through the first half then went in another direction during the second half. Arny returns, and thats all good, but the time travel chronology and sense of the whole Terminator time line kind of gets thrown out the window, or its some kind of reboot. They re-do certain scenes from the original terminator, which was a fun throw back, but its kind of a jumbled mess once everything is said and done, but the action is solid, also Emilia Clarke is hot in it. It is worth a watch at the very least.

Kill Bill 1 and 2. Saw they were added to Prime this month and figured it had been a while since i have seen them, so why not? especially since I ahve been on a Tarantino stint the last year or so anyway. Kill Bill are decent Tarantino flicks, but no Pulp, Reservoir, Jackie, or Django. Still definitely has that original flare to them that Tarantino is known for and definitely worth multiple watches.

Mad Max: Fury Road. Man did this film have character, what a deep deep and extremely developed world, it adds alot from what was built on the first 3 films. The story was alright at best, but the vehicles and costumes and locations and shots used and visuals were just top top quality, I see now why it got so many nominations at the Oscars this year. Shame the story couldnt keep up with how great everything else was, still a solid film all in all, and especially awesome for people like me who like well done weird films that arent afraid to buck the norm and show shocking/unusual things on screen. I also thought it was awesome that they cast many parapalegic/special needs (assuming it wasnt just CG edited or well done make up), very cool to get these people on to the big screen.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Truck_1_0_1_
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:02 pm

I just watched the limited screening of SHIN GODZILLA. Love it! My favorite Godzilla movie was the original one, and Shin Godzilla is its best follow up film in spirit to date. So it means no Anti-hero monster, no family drama and no monster vs monster battles. It's more akin to a disaster movie/ political satire, not an action one. All Godzilla movies contain an human drama element to them, usually melodramatic in tone, but to my surprise this one sticks only with politics for the entirety of the film without a particular human being the center of the plot.

It will be certainly divisive among fans, as it's dialogue-heavy and not very action oriented. But despite that, it's not a slow movie, being far from it as its cinematography is dynamic and the movie contains tons of humor (unlike 2014's movie). The Godzilla set pieces alone would make the admission price worth it (despite of some dodgy CGI in some scenes), with one in particular making my jaw drop due to how awesome it was. All being said, I only recommend it if you liked the original 1954 film because this is nothing like Final Wars or Godzilla 2014.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:54 am

So are any of you guys living in the United States of somehow-getting-this-stuff-a-week-late gonna see Doc Strange this weekend? I liked it pretty much. When I saw it last week. It's partly generic Marvel origin story of course (a rehash of Iron Man even to a degree), but also partly damn cool visual effects, fun ideas and Cumberbatch goodness. A better version of Harry Potter I'd say, all of the "magic stuff" in it was pure fun. The "hero-in-the-making gradually comes to terms with the new shit in his life"-part luckily felt sped up and didn't make you wait too long for the actual action to take off. Origin movies are fine, but I guess you can only make or see so many of them until stuff really starts to repeat itself. Oh, and Mikkelsen could have used a little more screentime. And the movie itself could have used one or two dumb jokes less, really. "Mr. Doctor?" - fuck that a lot. All in all I'd rank it somewhere close to Ant-Man. Which to me means it's one of the good Marvel movies, but not quite as good as their best, like Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, The Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3 (cause screw the haters, who cares about the Mandarin that much) and probably Civil War (gotta see that one again to finally judge it).
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Not even planning on seeing it myself, and I'm a ridiculous comic dork. I'm just not interested in Marvel's junk anymore. Like you said, there's a certain generic quality to almost all of their stories now, to the point of them feeling like a series of samey rehashes. Kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel at the moment too; their two big movies in the works were this and Black Panther, two characters I've never really dug at all. And I still just don't see the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch, personally.
I'll watch it if it comes on a movie channel at some point and I've got some time to waste. Not gonna go out of my way for it though.

But I do agree, Iron Man 3 was one of their better flicks. I actually think both Iron Man sequels were better than the original, but few seem to agree with that.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:47 pm

I couldn't get into Iron Man 3 for some reason. Maybe I thought Robert Downy was just too over exposed by that point though. I liked Iron Man 2, though it seems like they spent so much time disposing of the cannon fodder flunkies in the climax that they had hardly any time left for the damn villain.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Monkei
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:50 am

Well, I get you, I'm getting kinda tired of the formula, too. It hasn't gotten to the point where I can't enjoy the movies anymore yet though. I still think Guardians 2, Spidey and Thor/Hulk look promising, as far as next year goes. What I'm really looking forward to is the DC stuff though, Wonder Woman and Justice League. That Logan trailer also grew on me. If anything can keep this genre floating for another five to ten years, it's movies like these, I think.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:48 pm

I just re-watched this little gem:
phpBB [video]

Captured, starring my man Nick Mancuso. It's a great trashy 90's b movie (I guess it came out around 1998 or 1999) about a guy who captures a car thief in a remote-controlled Porsche which the thief breaks into and then proceeds to lecture and phisically torture the criminal for several days. It's really a great experience to sit back, relax and have a beer or two with this DVD on a rainy November night.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:11 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I finally finished off the last Terminator movie Genisys. It was alright, it was kind of a different take on the original movie through the first half then went in another direction during the second half. Arny returns, and thats all good, but the time travel chronology and sense of the whole Terminator time line kind of gets thrown out the window, or its some kind of reboot. They re-do certain scenes from the original terminator, which was a fun throw back, but its kind of a jumbled mess once everything is said and done, but the action is solid, also Emilia Clarke is hot in it. It is worth a watch at the very least.

Mad Max: Fury Road. Man did this film have character, what a deep deep and extremely developed world, it adds alot from what was built on the first 3 films. The story was alright at best, but the vehicles and costumes and locations and shots used and visuals were just top top quality, I see now why it got so many nominations at the Oscars this year. Shame the story couldnt keep up with how great everything else was, still a solid film all in all, and especially awesome for people like me who like well done weird films that arent afraid to buck the norm and show shocking/unusual things on screen. I also thought it was awesome that they cast many parapalegic/special needs (assuming it wasnt just CG edited or well done make up), very cool to get these people on to the big screen.

Genisys was wonderfully fun and I enjoyed it a whole lot! Of course it doesn't touch 1 or 2, but I think its a tad better than 3 (or at least, on par), but I'm a big fan of 3 for a couple of reasons (2 is near-perfection, IMO). I basically agree on all points you mentioned.

On IMDB, I gave it a 7.

Also agree on Fury Road: its not the Road Warrior, but it's the closest thing and I too, LOVED the imagery, vehicles and environment. I thought the story was well-done too and not that weak, though not an Oscar-winner either.

On IMDB, I gave it a 9.

Great taste man!

As for me, I recently took in 2 Sion Sono films, the first of his I've seen.

Why Don't You Play In Hell? (2013)

Also enjoyed this immensely: it starts out hokey and with a tad of foreshadowing, but once you hit the half hour mark, it begins to get better and the entire second half of the film is awesome. A lot of players involved, including amateur filmmakers, a Yakuza clan (and the boss' family) and an innocent bystander that's in the wrong place at the wrong time... or is it the right place? Acting was quite good and the plot is weak, but executed VERY well. Still have a jingle from an in-film commercial, stuck in my head.

On IMDB, gave it a 9

Tokyo Tribe (2014):

2014's best Yakuza, Martial Arts, Rap Battle drama that's based in a post-disaster Tokyo, it is a weaker film than Hell (above), but is much more stylistic and entertaining, I found: less exploitation, more originality. Based off of the anime of the same name (which I'm starting this weekend), it pits a bunch of gangs on Tokyo, vying for survival. The cast is brilliant in rapping their lines (75%+ of the dialogue is rapped) and it is just so over the top and crazy at times, never a dull moment. Soundtrack is bomb, have listened to it all week.

On IMDB, I gave it a 9 (more-likely deserves an 8, but I REALLY enjoyed this film)
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Bambi » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:40 pm

OL wrote: And I still just don't see the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch, personally.

phpBB [video]

Bambi has received a thanks from: Raithos
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rakim » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:41 pm

Moana. Liked it a lot. Lin-Manuel Miranda's songwriting is much more to my taste than the Lopez duo of the previous movie. That being said I don't see this one having a hit song as big as Let It Go.

Off to listen to Shiny a million times!

phpBB [video]
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Monkei » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:42 am

Saw Arrival at the cinema the other day, pretty cool movie. I recommend not watching a trailer beforehand if you haven't already - makes for a better experience. (That goes for all movies by the way.)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:33 am

Saw Rogue One. It was alright. Nice atmosphere for the most part, and I will say that without a doubt, the last third of the movie comprises just about the greatest scenes of battle ever to appear in the series.
Donnie Yen is fantastic; I honestly didn't expect him to be this great, but he's easily got more charisma than any of the other actors whose first language is English. I kind of hope this is a big boost for him in the English-language market. His also-Asian buddy with the big goddamn gattling-blaster was pretty cool too, and the re-purposed Imperial droid voiced by Alan Tudyk is the obvious "funny" character, and therefore is also really likable.
Unfortunately the other main characters are a total fucking bore. The casting could have been so much better for them. There are scenes in the first half of the movie where, seriously, I was starting to nod off a bit. The second half is much, much better, but all the same, there are some obvious flaws here.
Whatever the case, it still kicks the friggin shit out of The Force Awakens. I could easily do without seeing Rey, Finn, or Kylo Ren ever again, but I wouldn't mind at all seeing more of some of the folks from this one (as massively unlikely as that may be). This one actually presented a sense of population, a sense that something exists outside of the action directly on-screen. TFA mostly just felt like a bunch of actors being filmed on a series of soundstages.
So yeah, this is a much better direction for the franchise, if you ask me. We need more new characters doing things during the events of the original trilogy, and less blatant rehashing masquerading as something "new."
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:42 am

Saw Rogue One. Absolutely loved it. tbh maybe my new favorite Star Wars outside of the original trilogy. It seems like a movie you can watch over and over standing on its own story. All the practical effects and CG were all tastefully done imo. I really cant point out too many negatives except for the intro jumping around in time.

Axm has received a thanks from: Monkei
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Thief » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:29 am

phpBB [video]
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic