The Dark Knight Rises

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby Bastard Yusuke » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:11 am

On the positive side, while Ledger's joker won't be topped, if Depp really does end up playing the Riddler, I'm sure it will be an interesting take. He always finds ways to make his characters entertaining.
Bastard Yusuke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:54 am

I'm wondering why the hell OL hasn't made an appearance in this topic yet...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:46 pm

I just have nothing to add. While I am an avid comicbook fan, at this point I really have no idea how they'll go about making a third movie in this series. The Dark Knight ended up being a big surprise for me (before seeing any footage from it, I was expecting it to suck), so I figure I'll just let them surprise me again.
I also don't buy into all this "Johnny Depp as the Riddler/Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin" shit. It's way too early for speculation, so casting ideas like that mean absolutely nothing. Hell, they don't even have a script yet.

As long as I'm here though, I guess I can say what I'd like to see in a Batman movie. Frankly, I think I'm a little tired of superhero movies practically being required to be "epic". Sure, with actual superpowered characters (Superman, the X-Men, etc.) it probably makes sense to have the stories constantly involve world-threatening and/or mass destruction-causing events and characters.
But Batman is great because he doesn't have to bother with that stuff to have a good story. He's human. And above all, he's supposed to be a detective. Honestly, I'd like to see a smaller-scale, smaller-budget version of Batman, something involving him investigating "smaller" crimes. Most of Batman's villains fit most comfortably in stories like that. Murder mysteries and the like. That's the kind of story that you can more easily utilize characters like Scarface or Zsasz or Black Mask. Even the Riddler would make more sense in a story like that.

However, since that's an incredibly unlikely route for them to go with, I'll offer up my idea for a big-scale Batman movie, and it involves only one villain: Bane.
Since Batman is now supposed to be on the run, it would only make sense to send a brilliant tactical hunter after him.
My idea doesn't extend very far beyond that, but with all the trouble Bane gave Batman in his initial appearances in the comics, it wouldn't be hard to develop that into a movie-length story. I'm not saying they should do the whole Knightfall storyline or anything. Just something similar.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:10 am

I thought KnightFall/KnightQuest/KnightWhatTheFuckEver was pretty damn boring to tell you the truth. About the smaller-scale thing though.. the idea of having a Batman in Nolan's universe is so he can deal with ish that the cops can't cope with, imo at least, so a little murder mystery thing would likely be dealt with by the police, while Batman sees to the bigger threats of mob bosses n shit. That's just what I'm thinkin though.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:24 pm

The King in Yellow wrote:About the smaller-scale thing though.. the idea of having a Batman in Nolan's universe is so he can deal with ish that the cops can't cope with, imo at least, so a little murder mystery thing would likely be dealt with by the police, while Batman sees to the bigger threats of mob bosses n shit. That's just what I'm thinkin though.

I know. That's why I said it's just something I'd like to see, rather than something I figure could happen. Honestly though, as much as I like the Nolan version of Batman, I think a Batman who doesn't tackle small shit as well as the big problems is kind of mis-utilized. I mean, it was a "small" crime that made him what he is; realistically, he'd be just as concerned with dealing with problems like those as he would be with the big mob bosses and crime rings.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby TheEdge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Dear Hollywood,

PLEASE end all future production of any Batman sequel. Stop attempting to squeeze money out of a franchise that you couldnt equal even with the technological advantages of 2008. Stop while your ahead. Stop ruining and defiling our pop-culture. Either create a new super hero from scratch or feel the fury of critical message board individuals like myself.

From TheEdge.

Sorry I had to get that off my chest.
TheEdge
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:58 pm

:roll:
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:13 pm

TheEdge wrote:Dear Hollywood,

PLEASE end all future production of any Batman sequel. Stop attempting to squeeze money out of a franchise that you couldnt equal even with the technological advantages of 2008. Stop while your ahead. Stop ruining and defiling our pop-culture. Either create a new super hero from scratch or feel the fury of critical message board individuals like myself.

From TheEdge.

Sorry I had to get that off my chest.

You're joking, right?

Also, I heard a rumour that The Dark Knight is due for DVD/Blu-Ray release in December, and for a re-release theatrically in January.

"It's not about money, it's about...sending a message!" And we all know what for. ;)
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Spokane » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Woah man, I think your going over the edge there a little too much, TheEdge.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby QWERTY » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 am

Edward Norton as The Riddler imo.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:25 pm

^Already come up with that, bitch!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby QWERTY » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:18 am

The King in Yellow wrote:^Already come up with that, bitch!

Where?

And apologies for attempting to kick-start your dead (and slightly shit) thread. :roll:
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:08 am

First official poster...

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III