What TV series are you watching?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What TV series are you watching?

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:37 pm

Well, the CG TMNT (2012) TV series had its series/season 5 finale and I finally watched it today. It was a cross over episode with the original cartoon and all the voice actors reprised their roles (save for shredder with James Avery who passed) and there was tons of references and it was awesome, the end of the CG series is actually in the original cartoon dimension with the old animation and everything so thats really awesome. The bits from the original cartoon animation are with the art style from the original opening/season 1 (the animation and look changed a bit while the show went on and it almost looks like an anime in season 1 and the opening always had incredible animation). There was also a part where they intentionally had the wrong turtles voice actor which was common in the original cartoon to see the turtles exchanging a voice actor here and there (that moment when mikeys voice was over leos character, jeez).

Anyway, I just cant say enough about how awesome this TV series was. It is definitely the second best TMNT show after the original of course, they did an excellent job with it and it ended well and it wasnt abrupt (the turtles are literally talking about how NY is finally safe and there isnt anything to do in the first parts of this episode). Season 1-3 are really strong, and especially season 1 getting to watch the turtles evolve in this show is well done, plus all the references just keep us old fans coming and as a fan that has been watching it since 2012 I fondly wish the show adieu and it had a great run that I thoroughly enjoyed watching, wish there was more and it didnt end I am definitely sad to see it go I could totally watch more.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Haruto » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 am

Preacher. This show is odd but really great. I don't know how it compares to the comics.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby OL » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:28 am

I'm in the process of re-watching Justified.
It was my favorite show on tv when it was actually airing, and it really hasn't moved much at all from that position. I have yet to come across any other show that's consistently this clever, unpredictable, and badass.
It was adapted/inspired by an Elmore Leonard short story, and that fact is evident the whole way through; the writing team continuously managed to emulate his trademark style of snappy dialogue and quirky characters better than any other adaptation I've ever seen of his work (and there are many), and they did it for six whole seasons.
Just finished season 3. It's rare that re-watching a show I've already seen can keep me this interested and excited to keep moving through it, but it's working here.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Calshot » Tue May 08, 2018 1:17 am

I binge-watched Cobra Kai yesterday.

It's not a cheap crash grab like many people feared. It does have some of that 80s cheesiness feel, but it's just the right amount without veering into forced or pandering territory. The writing is pretty good and the characters act human. It's not just a black and white role reversal where Johnny's solely the good guy and Daniel's the bully the whole time. It's a nuanced take where you can see why each guy did what he did. The show takes place over a year, but it's not great at getting the passage of time across, so some of the character development can seem rushed (especially towards the last few episodes). The fight scenes for better or worse are basically the same caliber as the original movies, since the actors as far as I know are all amateurs.

If you liked Karate Kid even a little bit, you should watch it. First two episodes are free, and there's a free trial for Youtube Red for the rest of the episodes, which you can always cancel before they charge you.

Calshot has received a thanks from: Haruto
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Haruto » Tue May 08, 2018 5:34 am

Cobra Kai is really good. My only issue is Robby's training felt a bit rushed. Lastly is it me or does Robby look like Jonathan Brandis?
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Haruto » Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 pm

The Strain. I thought at first I disliked how The master looked but once they dumped him and went the generic route I would welcome back the giant version of him with the cool grim reaper like cloak.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Haruto » Wed May 30, 2018 11:18 pm

Monk
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Never bothered while it was actually on the air, but I started watching Nikita on Netflix.
And first season down, I gotta say... it's actually pretty damn enjoyable. Originally being a show on the CW, it of course contains a good bit of cheese, but none of it is enough to ruin the show as a whole.
The cast for the most part is actually pretty excellent; Maggie Q, Shane West, and Xander Berkeley all have phenomenal screen presence, and even given a bit of silly dialogue here and there, they still manage to pull that shit off. I'm particularly impressed by Maggie Q, since I really hadn't seen her in anything else before, and despite having a very slight, skinny little frame, she somehow actually manages to present a real physical presence. I actually buy into her being some kind of ex-spy/assassin; she looks really natural holding a gun or kicking someone in the face.
The only part of the cast that feels really weak is Lindsy Fonseca, who's supposed to be playing this incredible super-spy... and yet her acting ability just doesn't seem high enough for that. And for her to be playing one of the two actual main characters, that's just, y'know... really not great. Her role should -- and easily could -- have been cast with someone much better.
But again, it's not enough to ruin the show. The action tends to be good, there are occasionally some really good twists here and there, and I was kind of shocked that, even at a whopping 22 episodes in the first season, almost nothing that happens is just filler. Shows like Arrow and the Flash tend to be 23 episodes per season, and at least half of them end up feeling completely pointless by the end. Hell, even the Marvel Netflix shows, which are around 13 episodes each, tend to feel like they should have been whittled down a bit. So for this first season of Nikita to have 22 episodes, and for pretty much all of it to actually add up in the grand scheme of things by the end... that's something praise-worthy in my eyes.
Don't get me wrong, this is still a network show, so I won't claim that it's anything particularly sophisticated or award-worthy. But for just a good, entertaining watch... yeah, I enjoyed the hell out of it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 am

Haruto wrote: The Strain. I thought at first I disliked how The master looked but once they dumped him and went the generic route I would welcome back the giant version of him with the cool grim reaper like cloak.

the strain was a good show, i enjoyed it. i had to buy the last season from itunes as it got dropped here in the uk.

i really liked ash vs the evil dead. sucks it got cancelled..

shows currently watching/ following

plebs
timeless
high and dry
brooklyin 99
big bang theory
Genius - picasso (Genius -einstein was good. would like to see a series based on Nicola Tesla)
superstore
the walking dead

- i was a fan of "the americans" but because of uk tv dropping it, i missed several seasons.. probably have to rewatch it over again ](*,)

redline has received a thanks from: Haruto
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby xatruio » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 am

Recently rematched Aquarius. Underrated.

Loved the new X-Files and have been a die-hard Phile for most my life. Both new seasons are fantastic.

Finally began BBC's Luther. Pretty damn good so far. Recently watched Broadchurch and Spies of Warsaw from BBC, as well. Love David Tenant and both series are amazing.

Still have season 4 of Peaky Blinders and Sherlock to finish, plus The Fall, which after burning through first season, have been stuck on the last two episodes of series 2 for over a year. Still love the show, but for some reason cannot finish.

Late as hell to he party, but binged through both seasons of Stranger Things in a week or so. Purposefully waited for 2 full seasons to enjoy more. Awaiting a second X-Files 2 (yes; I'm so much a gigantic fan I truly like that movie) and the 10th/11th seasons, then Yakuza 5 and especially Shenmue 3 has made me QUITE the patient media viewer haha.
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby TheTimeRanger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 am

Currently rewatching Arrested Development. So good!
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

Postby redline » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:49 pm

xatruio wrote: Recently rematched Aquarius. Underrated.

Loved the new X-Files and have been a die-hard Phile for most my life. Both new seasons are fantastic.

about a month + ago i saw the episode dedicated to the smoking man. that was a very good ep
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby xatruio » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:53 am

...referring to the backstory in the 60s?
xatruio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby csmakio » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Sopranos for like the 5th time through. The wife wanted to watch it again. I need to start Attack on Titan S2 at somepoint...
csmakio
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: csmakio

Postby redline » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm

xatruio wrote:
...referring to the backstory in the 60s?

yeah. what did you think of it?

a few shows i got into have been canceled - timeless & kevin can wait. not great shows but entertaining nonetheless.

i also enjoy Elementary.... i watch a lot of tv :|
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic