Boxing

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Boxing

Postby Peter » Sun May 03, 2015 1:12 am

Well that was balls. I'm melted. Fair enough if you wanna say Mayweather is the best and all that bollix, but if boxing is now a sport where you just run around the ring for 12 rounds landing a quick jab here and there, then you can keep it. I'd happily take UFC and even WWE over that rubbish. 200 million and not even a scratch, welt or bruise. Whatever happened to 2 guys standing toe to toe and fucking going at it. Square go. Bullshit. Fucking wimps.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonne2 » Sun May 03, 2015 1:38 am

I guess its safe to say boxing is the new WWE. XD, Back then people used to box for their lives, which we seldomly see in todays boxing matches.
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rakim » Sun May 03, 2015 5:44 am

That shit was so damn boring.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sun May 03, 2015 5:50 am

Good to hear Pac-man didn't have the officials in his pocket this time, at least...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun May 03, 2015 4:19 pm

I feel sorry for people who dropped $100 on that fight. :lol:

Kenny has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Sun May 03, 2015 8:01 pm

^Can't believe it was that much in the U.S. Was £20/$30 here.

Such a shame the woman beating cunt didn't get the shit kicked out of him.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Jokatech19 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:05 am

The fight was moreso a showcase of manipulation than much else. Mayweather is the quintessential boxer, but he is really what the standard boxer should be, in terms of repertoire. But because, the media, amateur boxing developing, gyms, and the general fanbase, are so far out and behind in understanding of the sport, they just relegate calling whatever he does magic, and assuming, anything short of him being knocked out, is a master-class on his part. It's sad to see that ignorance is so prevalent. The truth of the matter is that the fight was very close, and should have been a draw for several reasons. There are some who argue that Manny should have gotten the decision. Although I don't say that exactly myself, I agree with the sentiment. And if you watch the fight analytically, not mindlessly, uneducated, and politically, it is clear to see where that argument can be made. Skipp Bayless made the argument on First Take, and was, of course flamed across the internet, but a guy named Flounder on SB Nation did such an eloquent job on the post fight pod-cast of touching on the Mayweather deception, that his fellow crew members went from laughing at him, to complete silence, and agreeing to watch the fight again.

I posted a break down of the science that isn't popularly understood on my blog site. I try to explain as simply as possible, not only how the sport works, but how Mayweather used that to sell a victory. Check it out.

http://j-teaminc.blogspot.com/
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby IrishNinja » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:22 pm

late here, but holy shit at people thinking floyd/pacman was in any way close, or that it was "bad boxing" etc...some of ya'll wanna see heavywights block power shots with their head, but instead you got a top 10 of all time defensive fighter outclassing yet another fighter. guarantee the sport will look back on money and give him more of his due in the years to come, casual fans be damned.

that said, whenever GGG/canelo happens, maybe more of ya'll will be happy.
IrishNinja
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: TheIrishNinja
XBL: The NZA 2099
Nintendo FC: IrishNinja
Steam: The NZA
Currently playing: Guardian Heroes

Postby Jokatech19 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Like I said, a lot of people are in need of schooling on the sport. Even Stephen A Smith, who fancies himself an intellect relegates to emotion for how he breaks everything down. I'm a Mayweather fan, and I appreciate him as much as he should be appreciated. That mystifies people who have been trained to think that anything short of blind support or belief, is not being a fan at all.

Please check out the blog breakdown, or just go on Youtube and look at the replay and breakdown of Precise Presenter, or a few others Mayweather did not defensively outclass Pacquiao. He did not do enough to win period. There is no if ands, or buts about that. I will be the first person to tell you that I despise the notion that a real high level boxing match is a toe to toe slugfest, where boxers refuse to evade a punch to show toughness. That, I will always agree, is nonsense. But don't listen to those people as to the argument for Manny. The truth is that he frustrated Floyd, and gave Floyd what would be a draw, or a narrow loss in a vacuum. The minute something brutal doesn't happen in a Floyd fight, many people have been trained to swear that they watched him box circles around his opponent, because people have lost the ability to see and process for themselves.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Previous

Return to Off Topic