Manga Recommendation Topic

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Manga Recommendation Topic (In Progress)

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Has anyone read anything by Tsutomu Nihei?

I chanced apon an artbook of his and was amazed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Nihei
Here's a list of his works, if you've read 'em:

Serialized works

* Blame! - Nihei's most popular work, detailing the adventures of Killy as he searches for a human with compatible genes to save the world. Originally published in Afternoon.
* NOiSE - A prequel to Blame!, in which a police officer investigates the murder of a gang. Originally publishing in Afternoon.
* Abara - Published in Ultra Jump, Abara follows Kudou Denji, a man able to transform into a Gauna – a creature with bone-like armor and weaponry.
* Biomega - Zouichi Kanoe and the AI in his motorbike set out to find humans resistant to N5S, a virus that turns people into zombie-like "Drones". Originally appeared in Young Magazine.
* Knights of Sidonia - Nihei's latest series about mecha and the Gauna, published in Afternoon. It is currently ongoing.

[edit] One-shots and additional works

* Abba - A short one-shot about a man looking for his brother.
* Blame - A one-shot prototype for Blame!, collected in NOiSE.

* Blame!² - A full color, 16 page one-shot published in Kodansha's Mandala Vol.2, following up on the story of Blame! with one of Pcell's future incarnations.
* Blame! Academy - A comedy featuring the characters from Blame! as students in a school. Published infrequently.
* Dead Heads - First issue of a canceled series; collected, as thumbnails, in Blame! and So on.
* Digimortal - A two part one-shot about a mercernary hired to assassinate a leader of a new Inquisition. Originally appeared in Ultra Jump, published in Vol.2 of Abara.
* Halo: Breaking Quarantine - Set in the Halo series, the untold story of Sergeant Avery J. Johnson and his escape from the bowels of Halo and the Flood.
* Negative Corridor - A short one-shot, collected in NOiSE.
* NSE: Net Sphere Engineer - A sequel to Blame!, about the Net Sphere. Series ongoing, though only one chapter has been published to date.
* Sabrina - A short one-shot about a man coming across a girl whose arm is stuck in a hole.
* Wolverine: Snikt! - A 5 issue limited series of the X-Men character Wolverine. Originally published by Marvel Comics.
* Winged Armor Suzumega - A short one-shot about a battle between alien beings.
* Zeb-Noid - A short one-shot about a hostile encounter between two different species that takes an unexpected turn.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Was going to read it again soon myself.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 pm

^That reminded me to get his latest book. Thanks!
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Ziming » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Latest I'm adding to the list is a survival themed manga "Suicide Island".
http://www.mangareader.net/suicide-island

Treating non-successful suicidal patients requires a lot of money and resources. With low budget and a personal respect argumentation, a doctor will ask a non-successful suicidal patient if he/she still wants to live on or not. If not the government will respect his/her wish. However, the government doesn't just simply kill them.

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby silent killer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:Has anyone read anything by Tsutomu Nihei?

I've read Blame!, Noise and Biomega, and all the side stories that go along with them. It's quite enthralling world he's created. Honestly though, I think the words are added bonus for the crazy landscapes. And hey, Biomega has zombies, and a talking bear. Long story.

I guess it's my turn to add some recommendations, since I've now entered into this thread.

Appleseed
GUNNM AKA Battle Angel Alita
Believers
Cross Game
Crying Freeman
Xblade
level E
Murder Princess
Maken X Another
Eden: It's An Endless World!
Agharta
Arm of Kannon
Zipang
Junk - Record of the Last Hero
Alive The Final Evolution
Black God
Change 123
Broken Blade
Last inning
Zero in
Shion no Ou
Arigatou
Last edited by silent killer on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby youarcade » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Fruits Basket.
youarcade
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Pokemon Silver

Postby Thief » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 pm

I suppose I'll recommend a Manga :P. My favorite Manga of all time is Parasyte.

It's about an alien invasion where the aliens are parasites that possess, preferably human, bodies. The main character of the manga is one of the unlucky few who were attacked, but fortunately for him he was able to isolate the alien in his hand. The manga is ultimately about him and the alien in his hand trying to survive against the alien invasion. It's kind of an adventure/horror manga. I love it, and it's the only manga I've actually bothered to purchase because I enjoy reading it over again.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm currently reading onani- master kurosawa. Its pretty weird and obscure for my usual manga reading habits, but its damn funny. I started reading it a while ago, but I got back into it recently when I found out that there's a radio drama version so I don't have to do any actual reading. Here's a synopsis stolen from TVTropes:

It's Death Note but with fapping.

Hey, you asked.

But seriously. Onani Master Kurosawa (lit. "Masturbation Master Kurosawa") is about the eponymous Kakeru Kurosawa, a middle school student in Japan who...spends his time masturbating in the seldom-used girl's bathroom on the third floor of his school. It's also about a girl named Aya Kitahara who is constantly bullied by the more popular girls in class until Kurosawa imposes justice onto them by—yes—masturbating onto their clothes. With dramatic facial expressions that would make Light Yagami blush. Kitahara figures out that it's Kurosawa who did the deed and blackmails him to traumatize other girls for her until she ends up picking a target they both soon regret. And from that point it gets really The Catcher in the Rye-ish. And that's just about all that can be said without going into spoiler territory.

I really hope this gets made into an anime. Its hilarious
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby KiBa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:24 am

Master Keaton, and the anime is excellent too. Everything Naoki Urasawa.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:57 am

silent killer wrote:
Vyse Hazuky wrote:Has anyone read anything by Tsutomu Nihei?

I've read Blame!, Noise and Biomega, and all the side stories that go along with them. It's quite enthralling world he's created. Honestly though, I think the words are added bonus for the crazy landscapes. And hey, Biomega has zombies, and a talking bear. Long story.

Thanks! I'll be sure to get it. I really dug his art style and if that's all there is, fine enough by me.
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bambi » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:07 pm

Ziming wrote:Latest I'm adding to the list is a survival themed manga "Suicide Island".
http://www.mangareader.net/suicide-island

Treating non-successful suicidal patients requires a lot of money and resources. With low budget and a personal respect argumentation, a doctor will ask a non-successful suicidal patient if he/she still wants to live on or not. If not the government will respect his/her wish. However, the government doesn't just simply kill them.

I'm really enjoying Suicide Island, I've recommended it to a few people now.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ziming » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Kiba no Tabishounin - The Arms Peddler (Western/Medieval)
The world has become a desolate, lawless land where bandits roam free, innocent people suffer, and demons lurk around every corner. Sona Yuki is traveling with his family when they are attacked by bandits. His entire family is murdered, and he is left with a snake mark on his hand. As he is about to die, a women comes up to him and gives him an option: continue to live in this harsh environment or die peacefully now. Yuki chooses life and Garami, the woman, gives him a second chance at life in exchange for his servitude. Garami is a weapons merchant and a gun for hire that travels from town to town for clients. Yuki sees how brutal and unforgiving this world can truly be.

http://www.mangareader.net/kiba-no-tabi ... ms-peddler
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Manga Recommendation Topic

Postby silent killer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:50 am

that sounds alot like Kurohime, except the mangaka decided not to pander to idiot otaku by turning the main female protagonist into a cute tsundere girl.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Ziming » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:13 pm

silent killer wrote:that sounds alot like Kurohime, except the mangaka decided not to pander to idiot otaku by turning the main female protagonist into a cute tsundere girl.

Yeah it's a bit more mature with violence similar to Berserk.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Ziming » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:10 am

Gunka no Balzer
http://readonline.egscans.com/Gunka_no_ ... hapter_001
Glory being won over the roar of cannon fire. Peace exists simply as a time to prepare for the next battle. In a military advanced nation Balzer advanced quickly up in rank. However, his career takes a sudden turn when he is reassigned a military advisor in a neighboring allied nation with little military power and the lack of civilian support of firearms. Will Major Balzer be able to win over the hearts of the soldiers and civilians?

Rainbow Manga

http://readonline.egscans.com/Rainbow/Chapter_001
This is the story of Anchan, Joe, Mario, Suppon, Baremoto, Biceps and Cauliflower. They are seven teenagers who, in 1955, have to learn how to live together in the same hold in the reformatory of Shio. Confined in a hell where suffering and humiliation are daily, they are waiting for a ray of hope in this dark incarcerating world, just like a rainbow which comes out after the rain.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic