Four Movie Loglines (Kenny Movie Updates Topic)

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Four Movie Loglines (Kenny Movie Updates Topic)

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

bOUNTY (TV Pilot) - After a night of heavy drinking, a devil-may-care Gambler wakes up in the middle of the desert finding himself in debt, hired by the Mexican Cartel to pay it off...and wanted by Nevada police for murder. [Dark Comedy, Crime Drama] http://bit.ly/14EuytF
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Kenny » Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 pm

I realized I'm bogging down the Random Thoughts topic with my 'journal entries', so I'm gonna put them here from now on.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was deadset on borrowing the 8mm camera at my workplace but then realized it only shoots in B&W...and the quality is REAL shit based on youtube videos. The damn thing is actually more sepia toned and it's completely washed out.

Luckily for me, I found the right plugins for After Effects. It still needs some adjustments but I was able to get the right 16mm look I wanted so I won't be wasting any money on extra expenses dealing with film stock.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu May 29, 2014 4:45 am

Researching intensely for the character's background so I can give my actor something to reference for her performance.

Primarily looking at alot of schizophrenic simulations and solitary confinement situations. Man, this shit is sad and maddening.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:41 pm

After seeing some pretty shitty footage from my co-producer who insisted he could handle cinematography work...I went ahead and hired a real cinematographer. One with +20 years experience.

This motherfucker worked on From Dusk Till Dawn. I think we're in capable hands now.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Rakim
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:34 pm

That's awesome. From Dusk Til Dawn is the shit.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Kenny
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Hah, I knew there was going to be a catch. Turns out he'll do it but only if he doesn't sign a deal memo (stating he'll get a flat rate and I'll own the rights to all the footage) which immediately set up a red flag as this is meant to be a commercial film, not a student or non-profit film.

I'm going over the terms with him today one more time but if he doesn't agree to sign, he's out. It'd be a shame if I do since having a high quality cinematographer would've been nice but it's even worse to be in a lawsuit should this film take off and start making money. Luckily, I have another guy who just inquired. Not only that, I've been doing my own work on the side so I know where the camera should be anyway.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Things worked out with my DP after all.

BTW:

That's a wrap for short 1! Shorts 2 & 3 are next!

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm still experimenting in After Effects to get the right amount of contrast, grain, blur, film lines, ect. but overall having professional lighting DEFINITELY helped.

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Editing the first short now.

Definitely learned alot on this shoot, the biggest one being never ever EVER attempt to act and direct at the same time. I didn't have full control of the framing and performance, so as a result the framing changed constantly in some takes and I realized I didn't get some of the emotions I wanted. Thankfully this thing is supposed to be very low-fi in execution, if this was done with the intentions of it being a traditional narrative in High-Def I'd be COMPLETELY screwed.

Really wish we did more takes too but with only one day to work with there was only so much we could do. And the improv dialogue is atrocious, especially on my part. I'm going with the original plan and releasing this without dialogue, the only sound will be a projector sound and possibly a horror soundtrack that's barely audible to help set the mood.

Luckily the last two shorts will not have me in front of the camera so i'll be in complete control of the framing and the performance. Plus it's going to be GRUESOME, this short will be very conservative by comparison.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:36 am

Casting for my monster begins this Friday (hopefully).

Whereas we shot on digital for the last short, we're gonna shoot in VHS for these ones. Because of the absolute simplicity of the shoot, we're gonna do all the lighting ourselves this time. We needed a pro last time but since we're going even more lo-fi, I think we can handle it this time. Especially since I'm gonna be my own camera man.

Even though our original makeup person will not be available, we might be getting a new one for this short. Luckily we won't be revealing the monster facially so facial makeup is not needed. Anything prosthetic-wise will be on the arms and legs.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:25 am

Ugh. I thought it'd be nice to hire this person to assist me with the VFX and editing, thinking it would give me a different perspective on how the short should be done. Especially since she helped refer me the DP.

Instead it's become a major pain in the ass.

Not only am I not impressed with her work thus far, she's constantly berating me over certain choices I made despite the fact I told her what I gave her was a ROUGH CUT several times. Nothing in it was finalized. Alot of the misunderstanding came from the fact she's looking at the short as a traditional narrative film and not a 'real' research film (which is what it's supposed to be). The real condescending 'matter-of-fact' attitude she's giving me coupled with that mediocre output just murdered her chances of me working with her again.

Thankfully, I've been experimenting with my own effects and I have results closer to what I want (no shit, right?) so ultimately I'm just gonna dump her work and just use mine. Thank god I know how to do this shit.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:08 pm

I think I discovered something groundbreaking.

I'm gonna test it out tonight but there's a method that allows me to shoot digitally allowing me to keep my 16:9 aspect ratio, my high quality stereo sound, and YET allows my film to look authentically VHS without having to go though After Effects or anything like that.

If this theory ends up working out, this changes everything. We'll be able to shoot digitally and completely masquerade this as a camcorder film from 1996 in post. Not only that but a couple little tricks here and there (like inserting footage with the actual camcorder through a mirror) will trick in the audience into thinking it's being filmed with that camera, allowing me to instill a higher sense of believability!

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:31 am

FUCKING SUCCESS!!

Original:
phpBB [video]

VHS Convert:
phpBB [video]

I KEPT my HD aspect ratio and my stereo sound but now I have AUTHENTIC visual VHS effects!!

Now that I confirmed my theory, I'm gonna do lots of color correction tests and figure out my visual aesthetic before we shoot the last two short films! We can be able to digitally manipulate the entire film and not worry about having it being "not VHS enough" in post. This saved us LOTS of time and money!

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:06 am

Nice. That looks authentic dude.

I wish you wouldn't have mentioned beforehand that it was all done in post, though. Now I think I'm all smart and can notice subtle differences from what a real VHS would look like when I totally can't.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Kenny
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Filming begins next weekend.

I have a costume fitting tomorrow for my lead and now I need to find two other actors to play military scientists. I also need to get the aesthetics down for both the props, costumes, and the look of the film.

After all that, I need to schedule my actress from the original short to do inserts (which'll end up being 70% of that segment since I found out I'm pretty unhappy overall with the output of the last shoot since I wasn't completely hands-on).

Then we'll do a major editing session...and have our short prologue!
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic