Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Sonikku » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Sonikku has received 5 thanks from: Bluecast, Brothaman, Kenny, St. Elmo's Fire, wude
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:24 pm

I feel like both are true in different ways.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 3 thanks from: Bluecast, Brothaman, St. Elmo's Fire
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:29 pm

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I feel like both are true in different ways.

Lies, orwell was clearly wrong just look at how perfect the USSR was.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Watching all these Found Footage films, I noticed the common thread of what's wrong with most of them. They take TOO FUCKING LONG to get to the point. Often times it takes 30 minutes to up to an hour for them to finally get to the scary stuff and once they get there they have a real hard time holding the suspense cause they're not sure how to.

I know it's important to build the world and its characters, but with these films people go into them expecting to be on the edge of their seat from the very beginning to the very end. So if you insist on adding lots of unnecessary filler and fluff you risk losing your audience fast and your movie dies because of it. The most successful films in this genre I notice take ten minutes tops for world building then they get to the point (except for Blair Witch, that shit took 20 minutes).

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bluecast » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I feel like both are true in different ways.

,Snowden,NSA. So yes it is both.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Kenny wrote: Watching all these Found Footage films, I noticed the common thread of what's wrong with most of them. They take TOO FUCKING LONG to get to the point. Often times it takes 30 minutes to up to an hour for them to finally get to the scary stuff and once they get there they have a real hard time holding the suspense cause they're not sure how to.

I know it's important to build the world and its characters, but with these films people go into them expecting to be on the edge of their seat from the very beginning to the very end. So if you insist on adding lots of unnecessary filler and fluff you risk losing your audience fast and your movie dies because of it. The most successful films in this genre I notice take ten minutes tops for world building then they get to the point (except for Blair Witch, that shit took 20 minutes).

I think the reason they often take so long is that they want to firmly plant the idea in your head that this is "real." The original intention of the genre to begin with was to make things feel a little more like they actually happened, after all, so they take their time making things feel "normal" before trying to shock you with something abnormal.
But yeah, I agree it's a pointless practice. We live in the real world. We're coming from that directly into the movie, so there's little reason to establish "reality" for us. Just get to the shit we came here for.

OL has received 3 thanks from: Bluecast, Kenny, MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Brothaman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Shark week...

phpBB [video]

Brothaman has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:49 pm

OL wrote:
Kenny wrote: Watching all these Found Footage films, I noticed the common thread of what's wrong with most of them. They take TOO FUCKING LONG to get to the point. Often times it takes 30 minutes to up to an hour for them to finally get to the scary stuff and once they get there they have a real hard time holding the suspense cause they're not sure how to.

I think the reason they often take so long is that they want to firmly plant the idea in your head that this is "real." The original intention of the genre to begin with was to make things feel a little more like they actually happened, after all, so they take their time making things feel "normal" before trying to shock you with something abnormal.
But yeah, I agree it's a pointless practice. We live in the real world. We're coming from that directly into the movie, so there's little reason to establish "reality" for us. Just get to the shit we came here for.

I agree that's probably what the mindset was initially but now that it's becoming more commonplace, it's more about getting to the point. Once you get to the point, then it's okay to drag it on as long as it keeps the suspense going.

It's really like with any movie. You just need a little time in the beginning to get the character's deal so it can set the stage for the conflict that drives the rest of it. These are great lessons to learn now.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:51 pm

phpBB [video]
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Funny looking at old photos I think I look much different but other people say I don't look any different..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 pm

The jury's still out, but I think we have a movie. A brand new pitch was given to me and it has all the elements for a good commercial FF film, its definitely something I would go see.

I'll run it by more friends and colleagues before I post it here.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Gingefners, The » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:36 am

Kenny wrote: The jury's still out, but I think we have a movie. A brand new pitch was given to me and it has all the elements for a good commercial FF film, its definitely something I would go see.

I'll run it by more friends and colleagues before I post it here.

Granted, I barely keep track of this place anymore so you might have discussed it already, but would a continuous shot film in one location not be a good way to also keep the budget way low too? Don't know the correct term for those films but something like 12 Angry Men, or some of Linklater's films. Tape would possibly be the best example of what I have in mind. Could be done cheap and the focus would be on how good your writing ends up being.
Gingefners, The
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: with myself

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Sonikku » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:06 pm

What in... blazes... :shock:

NSFA on account of lady gaga getting naked.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic