Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby south carmain » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Raithos wrote:
south carmain wrote: I have the best taste you all have shit taste

I think you're an ok dude. So that means you're a shitty person? :)

Finally someone who speaks sense.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonikku » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:45 pm

south carmain wrote:
Ziming wrote: A new series announced by Netflix.

phpBB [video]

Thought that was a hoax until I opened it in youtube and actually saw that it was by netflix. Haven't they understood that this is precisely the kind of thing pissing people off and making them protest vote for people like trump?

A dvd mailing service company is making a show I don't like and now I'm protest voting for Trump!!
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:13 pm

When people feel attacked they generally tend to react defensively which causes them to be a lot more irrational than normal, this psychological effect in turn unsurprisingly has a great effect on their political/social views.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:17 pm

And people feel attacked by the presence of a tv show? To the point where they start to behave irrationally?? What kind of snowflake is so pathetic so as to need a safe space from the big bad netflix show "attacking" them? :lol:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:14 pm

"Behave irrationally" no, think irrationally. Blanket statements such as "dear white people" being in popular media is of course going to create a reaction amongst people who see this as a recurring theme when most of them haven't particularly seen any real racism in their lives yet start seeing things that they are taught they should never say against other races being said against them. Every little thing like this contributes to a group mentally where people start to feel like there is an "us against them" atmosphere which will lead them to become more and more extreme.

You can mock them and belittle them as much as you want but in the end these things are having a real effect on American society and each piece of media like this that comes out will just throw more oil on the fire and if there isn't any real dialogue, movements like the alt-right and people voting for popularist candidates will continue to increase.

south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Raithos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:57 am

I still remember D-Wade's costume lol. I laughed so hard when I saw it.

The first time I saw a "white face" costume was in middle school. So somewhere between 97-99 ish? Everyone (including myself) thought it was funny. Dude won our costume contest. No one thought it was racist. I mean sure... I bet there was that ONE person who did, but fuck them.

This type of thing happens both ways, but its never a two way street with people. "I can do this, but you can't" is not how the world works. Its not like whites are the only people out there doing stuff like this lol. Some of my favorite comedians make a living dogging the white race. You would never see a TV show greenlit with white people telling ANY other race what they can or can't do like this. People would get fired just for suggesting it.

The world has become a cesspool of filthy, thin skinned PC trash. If everyone was truly accepting of those around them regardless of race, religion, sexuality, etc., then there wouldn't be this constant fear of being offensive or vice versa. I honestly feel the types who get offended by this sort of thing are very insecure and can't move past decades-old stigmas.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Aimless Gamer
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Just want to explain my post above a bit. I work in an office of 140+ and this has been talked about every day over the past week, including the QM yesterday. People that have gotten along for years have turned against each other, calling each other racist, ignorant, and a slew of other insults. I think its beyond stupid for people to let things like this cause rifts where they don’t belong. I’m friends with our HR manager outside of work and she’s told me today alone… 3 formal complaints. She told me that as I was heading to lunch. Its like everyone forgot who they are overnight. Over a Netflix show.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:41 pm

For some reason the above comments made me go find this;

(very NSFW, loud rude words)

phpBB [video]

3:14 is about where the main punchline starts. ;-)

St. Elmo's Fire has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, redline
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby UnHoly Bible » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:46 pm

None of this is gonna go away until something really really bad happens. In the mean time I'll just sit back and rotate between trying to figure out the big picture and laughing at everything cause its so uncomfortable
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby redline » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:10 am

received a letter today from the army ](*,)

ive been rejected from joining because i had depression over 10 years ago (13 years ago to be exact!) & 2+ case other cases of "low mood" on my doctors file, F,knows what that was... joke is i never took any pills or self harmed etc.

it sucks because i thought this could be the way forward for me, like a fresh start. (i did pre-selection ect and did well)

apparently i can appeal.
Last edited by redline on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:19 am

redline wrote: received a letter today from the army ](*,)

ive been rejected from joining because i had depression over 10 years ago (13 years ago to be exact!) + 1 case other case of "low mood" on my doctors file, F,knows what that was... joke is i never took any pills or self harmed etc.

it sucks because i thought this could be the way forward for me, like a fresh start. (i did pre-selection ect and did well)

apparently i can appeal.

How about the Navy instead?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby redline » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:

i think once you get rejected from the army, your rejected from all armed forces.

edit - now i think of it, i think the case of "low mood/s" was probably in the GP's notes, not something i was treated for ](*,)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Random Thoughts

Postby Axm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 am

PTSD and other depression disorders have been made a big deal in the post-Iraq Obama years.

Give Trump some time to start a war (if he isnt impeached first) and you'll be accepted in no time.
However you've already applied and been denied so you're probably out for good with the Army atleast unless its a full on draft.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:12 pm

redline wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote:

i think once you get rejected from the army, your rejected from all armed forces.

edit - now i think of it, i think the case of "low mood/s" was probably in the GP's notes, not something i was treated for ](*,)

Only solution now is to start your own army
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr. Frozen » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Raithos wrote: I still remember D-Wade's costume lol. I laughed so hard when I saw it.

The first time I saw a "white face" costume was in middle school. So somewhere between 97-99 ish? Everyone (including myself) thought it was funny. Dude won our costume contest. No one thought it was racist. I mean sure... I bet there was that ONE person who did, but fuck them.

This type of thing happens both ways, but its never a two way street with people. "I can do this, but you can't" is not how the world works. Its not like whites are the only people out there doing stuff like this lol. Some of my favorite comedians make a living dogging the white race. You would never see a TV show greenlit with white people telling ANY other race what they can or can't do like this. People would get fired just for suggesting it.

The world has become a cesspool of filthy, thin skinned PC trash. If everyone was truly accepting of those around them regardless of race, religion, sexuality, etc., then there wouldn't be this constant fear of being offensive or vice versa. I honestly feel the types who get offended by this sort of thing are very insecure and can't move past decades-old stigmas.

While I am against extreme PC culture, you cannot get carried away with the idea that all politically correct stuff is bad. You need to understand why certain things are looked down upon and critically evaluate from there. The problem with blackface is that it was intended as an extremely racist thing to begin with. You have to remember that racism didn't really tone down in america until the mid-90s, and even so it still exists in some areas today. Many black people alive today have experienced legit racism, and reviving old stuff used by racists just makes them remember those bad experiences, which helps fuel the racial divide.

Now with that said, I think It is great that there are people don't know why blackface is bad, but as a black guy myself who has grandparents and parents that lived in an extremely racist america (hell, even I experienced racism, but nothing on the level of previous generations), the racist symbols are all too real. White privilege is a very real thing, but the left does take it too far at times. I think the country is at a decent spot right now when it comes to racism, but older generations are set in their ways and I don't think true equality will occur until those older generations die off. To be specific, the baby boomers, generation X, and millennials (my generation, which tends to overcompensate in liberalism, probably due to the racism and shit decisions of our collective baby boomer parents).
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic