Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 pm

The Amazon Echo...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-SK705DI ... B01GAGVIE4

With seven microphones which are designed to always be able to hear you even when there is music and background noise (we have some at work and they do seem to be able to hear you pretty much all the time), it's always switched on and is always connected to the internets, the conspiracists must HATE these! Though if any 1984-ish government surveillance types did want to listen to someone, I bet they would equally LOVE it if their victim had one of these in his rooms! :lol:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Yep. Not that I'm paranoid enough to think they'd be listening to me, because I'm not very threatening, and anyway it'd be impossible to listen to everyone all the time. But, something that's MEANT to hear everything within a decent sized radius and is always sentient and lurking away constantly plugged into the 'net, and even saves a fairly decent size (it says 6 months) of audio it's recorded (Amazon's servers must be amazing to be able to deal with potentially millions of users talking to these things at the same time!) onto a cloud somewhere, they will probably evolve to be even more amazing and get quite popular, it will make it unbelievably easy for "them" to do so if they felt like it with unbelievable ease, regardless of which laws or rights it pushes the envelope on!

Though I doubt Bin Laden would have discussed 9/11 in front of one and I'm sure future criminals will keep away from them like they already keep away from existing technology when they talk business...

Next Amazon related topic!
I got Amazon Prime, potentially in anticipation of getting an Echo or a Dot since the music streaming would be handy. But...I think I may quickly watch "Man in the High Castle" then cancel it before the free month is up. The streaming service really is rubbish compared to Netflix, IMO! I always thought they were both about the same, but Christ. It has hardly any of the sorts of shows I watch. I visit another forum where the folks have a pretty similar taste in shows to me and I get quite a few decent tips of shows I've never heard of before to go and try. A lot of them aren't on Netflix, so I had hoped to get some on Prime. Fucking none! I've yet to try connecting through an American proxy though, the choice may suddenly get more interesting when I do, like Netflix does.
The music stream is fairly pish as well. So, I think I'll give up on it before I start getting charged, and give the Echo idea a miss for a while too, until some competitors start to arrive and start the competition, though I fear the prices will then soon go to outrageous levels, like smartphones did, and the full sized Echo is already not exactly cheap...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Cyberman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I was doing selfies well before most people.
Attachments
2016-02-25-161213.jpg
2016-02-25-161213.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Were you impersonating Mr. Hankey?? ;-)
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:41 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Were you impersonating Mr. Hankey?? ;-)

Looks more like Noob Saibot to me.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Cyberman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:30 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Were you impersonating Mr. Hankey?? ;-)

Looks more like Noob Saibot to me.

Lol
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm

My trip to Florida is finally coming around and I have been working more than I have in quite a while. I am going back and forth to Miami like a mad man. Yesterday I was in the Porsche Design Tower Condos and suites, they are multi million dollar homes in this high rise and the inside of this place looked futuristic and like something out of a movie. there was a car elevator in the center of it too that owners can put their car on and take it up to their place, and it goes FAST too, it was incredible. They were saying its the first of its kind, and the pool outback where we were setting up the stage was super fancy too, it was definitely one of the most high class places I had ever been in, and it sits right in front of the beach. And did I mention the cars? so many 250K plus cars everywhere, I saw ferarris, Rolls Royces, Massarettis Lambos and Porsches but of course thats common place here in Florida just there were lots of them here. Getting to see the Porsche Super Car up close was really cool too.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Cyberman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6kfVWv01k&t=130s

Has anyone seen this pilot for a show called "Infinity Train"?

It looks pretty good. It's got 1.7 million views so far.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby Axm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:27 am

YES
USA vs. Japan in the WBC Semi-Finals. Time to get my baka gaijin swag going.

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:07 am

The only two countries in the world that like baseball are going to play baseball against each other? Shocking!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Axm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 am

Trolling or just... heh? Can never tell with you.
A British person ignorant of the sport claims only 2 countries like it. Where have I heard that before? Oh ya, from basically everyone I've ever met from the U.K. Shocking! As if only they can label a Sport International enough to be considered International.
Would be like me claiming only England and India care about Cricket. Heck it's not played in the U.S and I know nothing of it so must be true.

Here, ill give you this. Not only can you see the top 16 countries which qualify to play baseball at a high enough level to compete, you can see the scores and formulate your own opinions. And ya, most of these countries do have professional leagues. And most shockingly from the tournament this year is Korea (always a top tier team)being eliminated by the likes of Taiwan, Isreal and Netherlands. And fyi Japan and USA rarely play each other in this manor due to the fact other countries are all very very good at baseball. Last time they did was almost 10 years ago. This is a pretty big deal for both countries. Even more so for Japan because they love the sport even more than Americans sometimes.
https://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/

But I don't completely blame you for thinking Baseball is only an American thing. Basically we have created a monopoly of the sport importing talent to 30 Major MLB teams and even more Minor level teams in the U.S/Canada. The best of the best come play in North America so some smaller countries can in a way, turn into a huge farming system. Many countries still have their own popular professional leagues but when the MLB finds talent internationally they are scooped up asap to be trained in the minors in the U.S
So the system digs itself into a hole of being U.S focused by sheer brute capitalism. Sound familiar?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:15 am

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby sand4fish » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:03 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: The only two countries in the world that like baseball are going to play baseball against each other? Shocking!

Oh Canada, I guess you don't count as a country because you are just really the backyard of the US huh .
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Random Thoughts

Postby Axm » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 pm

No you see, if it's not played by the brits then it ain't a proper international sport. After all they have the largest most diverse international population.
Oh wait..
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic