Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby OL » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 pm

I won't watch the video again to fact check myself (because people like this actually rely on and give a shit about viewcounts), but I remember watching that a ways back, and laughing at how one-sided everything is. She goes on about how these games use prostitutes as window dressing to get a rise out of male gamers... but then she cites Dishonored as an example. And if you've ever actually played Dishonored, you know that the brothel level is effectively used as a tool to show how awful the game's setting is. It's a hangout spot for amoral rich kids, and the degrading portrayal of the prostitutes is represented as a bad thing. Nothing about it is titillating. Whatserface is just taking umbrage with the mere presence of women in a degraded role, nevermind the fact that it's an aesthetic element meant to make you dislike the badguys even more.
Not to mention that Dishonored is, if anything, one of the more "feminist" games I've played recently. It features some really smart, strong female characters portrayed in a world ruled primarily by men. And these women still push forward and make themselves matter, despite the "secondary" roles forced on them by men. Even further, the main villain of the DLC is a woman named Delilah, who manipulates privileged male characters to gain power, and she does it in ways that are portrayed almost entirely non-sexual. If anything, whether it's a villain role or not, I'd say that's a good step forward in equality for the sexes in gaming.
Of course, none of that is mentioned in this girl's videos.

But anyway, I also take issue with the fact that whatserface actually crowdfunded her line of feminist videos. Everyone has the right to crowdfund whatever they want, but this one is just silly.
"Give me money so I can tell you what I think!"
Seriously? The rest of us do it on our own dime. She apparently raised something in excess of 100,000 bucks, and where the fuck is that money going? Certainly not the videos, I can tell you that. It doesn't take that kind of funding to get good video quality.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 pm

What I don't get is why people have to complain about other people's artistic views. If someone wants to create a video game with muscly guys and women with big tits and other people want to buy it then so be it just like if someone wants to create the opposite then good for them but then again they aren't just complaining about women being sexually objectified in video games but also about concepts such as "save the princess" etc. In the end what these pseudo "feminists" want is censorship to conform to their ideal view of the industry which annoys me as the feelings of some people shouldn't mean that everyone else should be censored and conform to them.

In the end Artists shouldn't be censored (yes I know a lot of people don't consider video games as art but there's no denying that the people who create them are artists). If you want video games to be a certain way you create them yourself to be that way or encourage others to do so not complain and tell people they should change their artistic expression to conform to whatever you want it to be. That's the kind of thinking that had the Church plunge Europe in to the dark ages.

south carmain has received a thanks from: OL
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:24 am

Aye, right on the money. There are games I don't like, trends I don't like, and concepts I don't like, but I'd never rally against peoples' right to use them if they please. I just ignore and go elsewhere. It ain't hard.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:36 am

I honestly don't give a shit about this whole thing. This is just like Robert Ebert proclaiming games aren't art and the Media claiming videogames cause violent behavior. It's a different viewpoint that needs to be scrutinized in an intelligent manner and then be done with because it does absolutely NOTHING to change ANYTHING on a substantial level.

That is until you start making it into a big deal.

I find it pretty embarrassing that a subsect of so-called "gaming culture" turned something like this into a much bigger deal than it needs to be, including this whole #gamergate nonsense. The most attention this ever needed was a rebuttal video or two, since her videos are pretty biased (though also have some good points) not this whole DUUR HURR WE GAMERS ARE NOT SEXIST DURR HURR AND IF YOU HAVE TITS AND DISAGREE WE'LL DOXX YOU.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby OL » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:42 am

May I just say, I love tits too much to ever be a misogynist. :splat:
OL
Shenmue III

Postby SaM_4000 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:30 am

OL wrote: She apparently raised something in excess of 100,000 bucks

You cannot be serious! Why on earth does anyone need money to state their point of view?

If I were one of her followers that instantly would make me lose any respect and credibility she had in any of her views.
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:34 am

Her initial goal was to raise $6000, im sure the soccer moms came in droves. Starting to see why I dont like kick starter?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:00 pm

I just read this to get a handle on what the fuck this #gamergate thing has spawned into;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... deo-games/

Surprised that it's big enough news for Forbes to mention it!

Anyway, yes, these women do seem quite out of order (though I'm betting Sarkeesian at least is doing it in the knowledge that this is gonna earn her some more hits), no idea why Mue_26 is so outraged by that pic since, going by that Forbes article, it does seem to be quite a neat sum-up of the situation.

To make a predictably sexist comment though, Anita Sarkeesian is pretty nice in the looks dept so I'd certainly "do" her...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm

This is fucking hilarious:

phpBB [video]

Parrotting the same shit over and over again. I looked into it and it was genuine, not edited at all!

Get to the negotiating table, disrupting is wrong! This guy has truly malfunctioned. He's the potential leader of our country next. Really looking forward to it. :rotflmao:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Hes not gonna be the leader of anything with those kinds of responses, wow talk about a broken record, he basically was completely dodging the substance of the questions asked, and acted like he didnt wanna be there and just wanted the interview to end with that kind of babbling idiocy, if hes trying to become a leader, hes fucked.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:33 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Hes not gonna be the leader of anything with those kinds of responses, wow talk about a broken record, he basically was completely dodging the substance of the questions asked, and acted like he didnt wanna be there and just wanted the interview to end with that kind of babbling idiocy, if hes trying to become a leader, hes fucked.

Politics :-({|=

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:27 am

I'm looking at you, Animegamer. [-X
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster