Why do Korean women want to look like Space Aliens?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Why do Korean women want to look like Space Aliens?

Postby Rakim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 pm

As some of you are aware plastic surgery is rampant in South Korea with a good portion of the knifings yielding results that can be quite unsettling. Perhaps even uglier than before. The doctor can't cure ugly you silly bastards.

The sooner the freaks of the world accept their ghoulish faces the sooner they can get back to worshiping us beautiful people.

Click the link to see more of these monstrosities(NSFW):
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2013/04/0 ... than-ever/

What are your opinions on self mutilation in the name of "beauty"?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Why do Korean women want to look like Space Aliens?

Postby OL » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Well, I found all of the "before" shots to be pretty damn fugly.
Just seems like the trend in South Korea is to make yourself look more Japanese. I'm pretty apathetic about plastic surgery at this point, but when your before and after shots look like this:

...I find it pretty hard to fault someone for wanting the change.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Ever notice how in any before and after photo of some service or product that people always look absolutely frowny faced miserable, yet in the after photo they're always showing a big bright smile?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Unfortunately, I have to agree too.

You could say we're being dicks, but really? If you looked like Frankenstein and had the funds to go through a beauty procedure, you'd have to go out of your way to never see a mirror again in your life if you're fine with rejecting the procedure.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 am

Just seems like the trend in South Korea is to make yourself look more Japanese

Real Japanese people don't look like those "after" pics either though. Those after pics do share a similarity with some of the rather more creepy bug eyed Japanese anime characters perhaps. I don't think it's a very good look. Am I the only one who thinks the girl in the first pic looks better "before"? After she looks a little like the kind of dead eyed greeting hologram you'd get in a sci fi movie.

As for my general stance on Plastic Surgery, hmm, it's a hard one. On the whole I would say that I strongly don't condone it if it's done purely for superficial reasons. But then, where do you draw the line on what is a superficial reason and not? Maybe someone who's jaw is that extremely square feels like they need to change it so that they can move forward in their lives, and feel secure? I can understand that I guess. But the problem is (as seen in these pics) that they often don't just stop at the very square jaw, but they change their perfectly fine eyes and nose too. Will they really feel better afterwards? Maybe a bit, but I don't think it will change them much, I think it's more worthwhile addressing their core insecurities once and for all, rather than just trying to run from the problem.

So, I think if someone came to me, even someone who had such a strong jaw, and contemplated plastic surgery because they wanted to look "prettier", I would probably suggest they not go down that path. It's dangerous, can lead to complications, and is ultimately just a superficial solution to a deeper problem. I mean, how many woman would love to look like the girl in the first pic? These women don't need surgery, they need to find contentment.

I also think, In many ways this kind of "plastic surgery for beauty" is the ultimate representation of the extreme shallowness of humans and everything deplorable in that shallowness. We place such great emphasis on things that are mostly meaningless. I care about the conversation I can have with you, I care about your humour, your kindness, your depth of personality. Do I really care about what size breast or waist you have, or what dress or hairstyle you wear? Not very much. This kind of plastic surgery is almost like the most extreme form of placing shallow nonsense on a pedestal.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:54 am

The real kicker is they are all men. :shock:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 am

People who say looks aren't important are talking a load of horse shit. Looks are the first thing you see and the first thing you have to go on unless you first get to know each other over the phone with no photos.

If someone wants to look better good on them it doesn't bother me as only they should be the ones with an opinion on if they should have plastic surgery. Personality is a big thing but I also consider looks important as I don't want to roll over in the morning with someone who looks like Sloth even if we enjoy talking to each other all day.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

People who say looks aren't important are talking a load of horse shit.

I can't say physical attraction is completely unimportant, as it is important to me to an extent in any woman I want to have a romantic relationship with, but it's only about 5% of the overall 100% I'm looking for. What is vastly more important is the actual substance of a person, not their exterior shell. If I meet a person who I'm just not in any way physically attracted too, if they are a person of a great depth of character, I will still enjoy that person's company, learn off that person, laugh with them, and just enjoy maintaining a friendship with them. If I meet someone who is very aesthetically pleasing, but has no depth of personality, I won't be sexually attracted to that person, and I won't want to maintain a friendship with that person, they offer little to my life. Hence why I feel plastic surgery for the sake of beauty alone represents the kind of excessively shallow thinking that places hollow attributes on a pedestal, and I find that way of thinking a little repulsive.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sailors? » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 am

Pretty sure Mue is asexual anyways.

Sailors? has received a thanks from: LawXiu
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby ys » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:33 pm

Sonikku wrote: Ever notice how in any before and after photo of some service or product that people always look absolutely frowny faced miserable, yet in the after photo they're always showing a big bright smile?

Yes :P And often the lighting is also much worse in the before pictures. Though here it's quite ok.

I remember reading about how Asian people were supposed to be much more spiritual than those shallow Westerners. Then I read about plastic surgery being more prevalent there than in the US for example. Or seeing documentaries about their pride and respect for ancient culture and ancestors. Aaaand then getting some plastic surgery to be whiter, fixing eyelids to be more similar to Caucasian ones,...
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 pm

ys wrote: Aaaand then getting some plastic surgery to be whiter, fixing eyelids to be more similar to Caucasian ones...

That's what I really notice too. I'm very curious as to why this is...
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Deta » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 pm

I dont think there is any deeper meaning what comes to the eyes. The double eye lids just happens to looks better in their eyes. Its not just Korean who do this, but all asians.
Deta
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 pm

Everyone wants what they don't have.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Kenny
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sailors? » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 am

Many Pakistani men and women wish to have lighter skin tones, much like we desire to get tans.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby Ziming » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:37 am

OL wrote: Well, I found all of the "before" shots to be pretty damn fugly.
Just seems like the trend in South Korea is to make yourself look more Japanese. I'm pretty apathetic about plastic surgery at this point, but when your before and after shots look like this:

...I find it pretty hard to fault someone for wanting the change.

At first glance her old chin reminded me of this guy.

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Off Topic