Justice League

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Justice League

Postby Kenny » Mon May 13, 2013 2:53 pm

I have some questions about JL. Particularly about Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Batman, and Superman.

1. What are the best Wonder Woman and Flash stories? What are their best abilities (other than the lasso and running fast)?

2. What can Batman do for the others since he's physically mortal? I know be the best Detective all around and aid them via Wayne Enterprises, but is there more to it?

3. What are the best stories JL vs. Darkseid? In fact, what comic stories would you recommend that best represent JL and Darkseid all around?

4. Has Wonder Woman's lasso ever been anything else? Like a Rope Dart, whip, ect?

5. When Green Lantern becomes White Lantern, does it affect Oa in anyway? Like does it overload the Green Lantern Corps base or can he do it at anytime without facing any repercussions?

6. Can Aquaman do...well, anything badass? Specifically, can he control the water?

7. Can Superman be arrogant? Like he wants to save the planet by himself as he feels like it's his responsibility only? Or will he willingly enlist help even if he feels he can handle the foe?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Re: Justice League

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon May 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Don't read a lot of their solo titles, but what I gather...

Flash runs so fast he can travel through time (at... times) He can also move so fast that the particles that make up his body can vibrate through walls.

Wonder Woman has the bulletproof braces. She's also a fucking warrior who can pretty much go toe-to-toe with anyone. And for some reason a lot of people are surprised when I tell them she can fly. And that she has some invisible jet.

Not a fan of Wonder Woman, but Flash is a good character. There's a few too. Jay Garrick (original), Barry Allen (most popular), and Wally West (90s & 00s, was in JLU, doesn't "exist" anymore) Although I think he's a good character, like many superheroes, their solo stories tend to bore me.

Batman is the tactician. He co-ordinates attacks, is the go-to guy for knowledge on just about anything. Put simply, he's the brains. And mortal or not, he's a fucking beast. Plus, Darkseid's shit scared of him, and when a God's afraid of you, you're doing something right. His unpredictable nature facing off against aliens who deem him a "mere human" is usually what turns the tide in battles. Either that or Superman realises he can hit people with the force of a fucking planet.

Best story all round Darkseid-wise is Final Crisis. But there's a lotta reading to do to understand it. It mainly ties into Morrison's run on Batman and his Seven Soldiers series. Other than that, there's Rock of Ages - again, Morrison - that I've not got round to reading myself yet. There's also the Supergirl story arc from Superman-Batman. As good a character Darkseid is though, he's seriously mistreated, much like Superman. If you're looking for some amazing Darkseid vs Justice League stories, Morrison's about as good as you're gonna get.

The lasso's pretty much just a plot device and used for comic relief from those that I've read.

White Lantern was just a one-off thing for Blackest Night/Brightest Day. It was an amalgamation of all spectrum corps and a means of defeating the Black Lantern Corps. He wasn't the only one to become a "white lantern". Hell, Batman wore the ring briefly too.

Aquaman can be very badarse. Like I say though, depends on who's writing him. He can manipulate the water due to his extreme swimming speed and practical mind control over various sea creatures, but he can't directly control it himself.

Yeah, Supes can be arrogant. Recently, Morrison (again) has re-written his origins, making him slightly more of a cocky kid with immense power (although he's still the boy scout at heart, it's pretty much a show he puts on to let peeps know he's in control) Like Batman though, he feels that certain threats are his responsibility only, and will tell others to stand down. He ain't afraid to pull out the "yeah, I can crumble you with the flick of a finger" card. Most writers aren't ballsy enough to use it though. The generalised view on a lot of superheroes these days can be traced directly back to the overwhelming number of "filler" stories written by temps. It's a shame, but that's just how it goes.

Best place to jump on at the moment is the recently relaunched Justice League. The New 52's only been going about two n a half years now, so you get a good few stories to read without having to wrap your head around countless decades of continuity.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Kenny
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Kenny » Mon May 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Very cool.

Looks like i'm going to have to do alotta research for WW then. All I can gather from Flash is his treatment in the cartoon series back in the mid-'00s and they just treated him like a joke character, which really disappointed me. He's also a scientist too from what little I was able to read into it.

The thing about Batman is very useful too. Basically the best tactician all around. And i'm glad SM can be arrogant, seems like it would fit his character.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon May 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Barry Allen's a forensic scientist. Wally West (he was the one in the cartoon) just has a regular job. When he isn't unemployed, that is.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 13, 2013 5:39 pm

No idea how many things the TV series got wrong or right but loved that series. Also finally explained why Flash was useful to me. Makes Supes look slow and when he vibrated through walls and shit was great. Loved when he ran so fast to beat up Luthor/Brainiac he shifted to a another dimension afterwards. Not a comic book guy but maybe I should dust off those comics and read some. Do know I loved Batman TAS and those series. No one has come close to being as great.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Sonikku » Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
White Lantern was just a one-off thing for Blackest Night/Brightest Day. It was an amalgamation of all spectrum corps and a means of defeating the Black Lantern Corps. He wasn't the only one to become a "white lantern". Hell, Batman wore the ring briefly too.

At the end of the day though, Pink Lantern Corp > Rest

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 pm

She looks sad and in pain. I see what is in her other hand and see why. Poor girl

tho I kinda enjoyed the movie as a pop corn flick
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:47 pm

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/7 ... 73505?s=09

phpBB [video]

Trailer
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby OL » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Dude, gotta tag that shit bruh.

Count me excited as fuck.
I'm not entirely sure about this Flash (just needs time, probably. Might grow on me) and Cyborg's look seems a bit fake (probably just early in the effects process), but otherwise I'm there.
Momoa as Aquaman: fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...
And great use of the White Stripes there.
Also:

phpBB [video]

The lady's looking pretty grand as well.
Seriously, fuck Marvel now. Can't say I'm feeling this kind of excitement for any of their stuff at the moment.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:00 pm

OL feel free to delete that thread I just made lol didn't see that you had posted it already. :)

edit: it let me
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:18 am

Love the Wonder Woman trailer, like the Justice League one. Basically what OL said. Was a huge fan of them casting Momoa from the beginning, seems to pays off. Don't know about Ezra Miller though.. that "I need friends" part looked like some pretty bad acting to me.. not sure about the shiny Flash costume either. Still can't wait to see both movies. And Suicide Squad. And Flash, Aquaman, Shazam, more Justice League, Cyborg, Green Lantern Corps. And Batman. And whatever else they're cooking up right now. I grew up a DC fanboy and couldn't be happier or more excited about this.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:32 am

WW also happens to have a kick arse theme

phpBB [video]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Zack Snyder has got me twice with trailers. The Man of Steel teaser with the Russell Crowe voice over is one of the best ever and the trailer for Batman V Superman got me excited for the film. Both films were huge let downs for me so despite how cool this looked I'm not being so trusting.

I'm probably going to go and see it like the sheep I am anyway, I wasn't going to bother with these DC movies at the cinema anymore since I've hated both so far but I've already been talked into seeing Suicide Squad next week.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:53 am

MoS is still the greatest Superman film ever released though.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Just been watching the extras on the Batman v. Superman bluray, and even though I wasn't super keen on what I saw of him in the Justice League footage, I do have to say that I really like Ezra Miller, or at least his excitement over playing the Flash. He genuinely seems to dig it a lot, even going on about the quantum physics applications of the Flash's powers and how cool all that stuff is. So he clearly gets it, and seems to have an almost fanboy-esque pump for the character and role.
That's really promising, actually. He doesn't just sound like some Hollywood actor trying to play up a movie to the audience; he sounds like one of us, getting excited at the possibilities of these movies. So that's nice to see.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Next

Return to Off Topic