Any advice on working at US summer camps?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Any advice on working at US summer camps?

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Been looking at some lifestyle options lately and trying in general to get out of the travel hangover I have had since returning from Australia and Asia. I have been trying to read up on the possibility of maybe travelling to the States next year and working with one of the Summer Camp schemes that are out there. But there seems to be so many and information doesn't seem to be all that widely available. Has anyone had, or know anyone who has had experience centre with this. Non US members could be of significant use for advice since I am outside of the US.

Peter has received a thanks from: Axm
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Re: Any advice on working at US summer camps?

Postby Rakim » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:45 am

Since you're from Ireland can't you get a working holiday visa? Then you won't have to come over as part of some "scheme" and do something you might not want to.

Damn why doesn't the US have this shit. You guys got some cool countries participating:
https://www.dfa.ie/travel/visas/working-holiday-visas/

You should probably check here for more first hand stuff.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/americas-united-states-of-america/topics/summer-camp-work-in-the-usa
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:23 am

Well I think its a good idea to go to the states. Just make sure where ever you go you make it somewhere you can travel without a car. If going to southern California or anywhere else in the south west of the U.S you pretty much need a car or you arent getting very far.

Id reccomend San Fransisco or Portland if thinking of the west coast. They have decent public transportation.

Also Florida you'd need a car too. North East U.S you'll find many cities you wont need a car.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:03 pm

Yea, the only thing is though I don't think I can choose which camp I would get assigned to. They do that for you
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:21 am

Non US poster here. My girlfriend works at summer camp in America and has done every year since 2010 and loves it, but she's studying to be a teacher and enjoys working with children, so it's her kind of thing. It isn't for me personally, but from what little I know about the procedure, I would offer the following titbts:

- She uses Wild Packs and thinks it's the best site by far- http://wildpacks.com/

- The application process is fairly competitive, but as long as you can demonstrate a genuine passion for working with children, you should be OK. To that end, I would recommend using the intervening year to gain as much experience with this as possible (sports coaching/volunteering etc.). I understand they tend to look much more favorably upon this than, say, academic grades or what university you attend(ed). I imagine having something like a Duke of Edinburgh award wouldn't hurt either.

- I presume you may have at least some choice in which camp you are assigned to, as she has been to the same one for the past three years.

- You may need to be prepared to work very long hours. She will typically do 12 hour days 6 days a week, but I've no idea if this is particular to her camp or standard across the board. It might be something worth researching further if this is likely to put you off, although on the other hand I suppose it wouldn't really feel like "work" if it's something you love doing and would choose to do in your spare time anyway.

- Don't know anything about the Visa process, but I can only imagine it's a complete ballache.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply to this thread or PM me if you want me to try and get anymore information for you.
Pogogacy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Harley76 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:28 am

Pogogacy wrote: Non US poster here. My girlfriend works at Academic Summer Programs in America and has done every year since 2010 and loves it, but she's studying to be a teacher and enjoys working with children, so it's her kind of thing. It isn't for me personally, but from what little I know about the procedure, I would offer the following titbts:

- She uses Wild Packs and thinks it's the best site by far- http://wildpacks.com/

- The application process is fairly competitive, but as long as you can demonstrate a genuine passion for working with children, you should be OK. To that end, I would recommend using the intervening year to gain as much experience with this as possible (sports coaching/volunteering etc.). I understand they tend to look much more favorably upon this than, say, academic grades or what university you attend(ed). I imagine having something like a Duke of Edinburgh award wouldn't hurt either.

- I presume you may have at least some choice in which camp you are assigned to, as she has been to the same one for the past three years.

- You may need to be prepared to work very long hours. She will typically do 12 hour days 6 days a week, but I've no idea if this is particular to her camp or standard across the board. It might be something worth researching further if this is likely to put you off, although on the other hand I suppose it wouldn't really feel like "work" if it's something you love doing and would choose to do in your spare time anyway.

- Don't know anything about the Visa process, but I can only imagine it's a complete ballache.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply to this thread or PM me if you want me to try and get anymore information for you.

Hi Pogogacy,
Thanks for information, I always want to be a volunteer in summer camps.
I think will try this year summer camps to volunteer. Thanks again
Harley76
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:33 am

Good luck man. If you come to the new york city area, we shall meet up.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Return to Off Topic