About the other twist in Disney's Frozen

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

About the other twist in Disney's Frozen

Postby NorthStarHazuki » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:58 am

So, when I watched Disney's Frozen for the time in act 3, It was pretty clever that true love doesn't usually appear when boy meets girl, it also comes from family relationships but what about the other twist in Frozen. I an actually disappointed when in act 3, Hans turns into a main villain of this movie; it feels out of character. I know some of you might defend this twist by bringing arguments like it teaches real true love, at least we hear Hans' line to have his own kingdom. Now I understand your views and I will respect, but I'll tell you one of my honest problems why making Hans the villain doesn't work.
Let's go back to the first act, we see Hans acting clumsy and acts like a nice and polite person, when he met Anna for the first time. Then later that night, he playfully flirts with Anna and sings Love is an open door. But suddenly Anna and Elsa had an argument after her older sister said that she can't marry someone who she just met. Ok. So Elsa ran away, and Anna decides to find her.
Then in act 2, we Hans preparing a strategy to stop Elsa and her icy powers. And after the battle, Elsa got arrested by Hans. We see Hans telling Elsa to stop the catastrophe, but Elsa sometimes can't control her powers. So after Kristoff brings Anna back to her kingdom. Hans prepares himself to kiss, but stops and we see him evilly smiling. Then Lristoff leaves Anna to freeze to death and kill Elsa. In act 3, after the sisters escaped. Hans prepares to kill Elsa with a sword but Anna stops by and get frozen(no pun intended). And blew hans away. After the clever true love message, Hans got arrested and sent back to the southern isles.
That's my personal issue with Hans as a main villain. We see him as a polite gentleman in the first two acts, but in the last act, he seems pretty out of character. And the obvious storytelling element is to show, don't tell. Let's take Gaston for example
In the first act, we see him as charming but arrogant and rude, but also likable as a villain;He wanted Belle to be his wife. But after getting rejected he felt pissed and went to his tavern at night. And Gaston's song shows how arrogant and much of an asshole he is. I thought that was a clear setup when making a good and different villain. So in the second act, Gaston plans to throw her father Maurice into the asylum, because we remember how they made fun of him for his behavior. Then in the last act, When Belle showed the town villages the beast with the magic mirror. Gaston attempts to kill the beast not only to do whats best for the village, but to get the beast out of his way. That's pretty villainous. So after they march to the castle, he fought with beast but fell down in the down.
For me, I thought the setup works, because we see Gaston as a charming gentleman, but also a jerk. The only villain that is acceptable for frozen, is Elsa's conflict. I thought it would focus on Elsa's turmoil rather than to shoehorn a straight up villain for no reason.
Overall, it is my honest opinion on Disney making Hans as a primary villain.
NorthStarHazuki
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: F2great
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Re: About the other twist in Disney's Frozen

Postby fittersau » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:21 am

NorthStarHazuki wrote:
So, when I watched Disney's Frozen for the time in act 3, It was pretty clever that true love doesn't usually appear when boy meets girl, it also comes from family relationships but what about the other twist in Frozen. I an actually disappointed when in act 3, Hans turns into a main villain of this movie; it feels out of character. I know some of you might defend this twist by bringing arguments like it teaches real true love, at least we hear Hans' line to have his own kingdom. Now I understand your views and I will respect, but I'll tell you one of my honest problems why making Hans the villain doesn't work. [..]
Overall, it is my honest opinion on Disney making Hans as a primary villain.

You should be aware something is up when he so quickly declares his true love (kiss) to Anna. This was the seed of false pretense in the second act.

It's not convincing because we are never shown how Hans was mistreated by his brothers and essentially heir to nothing because he couldn't get a break in "love". We never get to see his desperation which drove his well hidden motivation to become king of Arendelle.

He could have let Elsa live and try to reason with her and keep Anna as his wife with a comfortable life. However he got greedy in the end and wanted everything to himself. It's thin motivation, however still holds true.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Return to Off Topic