New Star Trek TV Show, Seriously

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

New Star Trek TV Show, Seriously

Postby KiBa » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 am

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-sta ... nuary-2017

2015 is a strange year. Star Wars 7, Shenmue 3, and now a new Star Trek TV show? When bad things happen, I never think "the apocalypse!" That's life. But when a significant chain of too good to be true things happen, I know it must be the end.

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: myshtuff, Sonikku
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Re: New Star Trek TV Show, Seriously

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:41 am

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: KiBa
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:58 am

The new movie became a hit waayyyy back in 2009, why are they just now making a new series? The star trek movies are good, dont get me wrong, but the series are definitely where its at. I really dont get why they didnt try to do this earlier, but I am glad its happening now.

Also was kind of disappointed after all the text in that article, it doesnt give star dates of the new series, any kind of information about what its going to be, I am curious. I wonder what kind of characters and star ship we will get this time around? Think it focuses on a whole new captain and crew? It would be very awesome if they do it quality.

Its ironic I recently have been watching alot of TNG, then noticed BBC started playing it from season 1 so I have been DVRing it and watching, hopefully I get through all of it. I havent really sat down and watched Trek like this in years, then I get the announcement a new series in the same year?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby KiBa » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:38 am

I've been watching the BBC TNG marathons too.

Obviously, I can't be sure, but this announcement followed a series of relatively high-profile interviews with Michael Dorn about his pitch to CBS for a Captain Worf sequel to TNG. CBS doesn't strike me as enthusiastic about a sequel series, so it would seem more likely they'd want to start fresh for a new generation, but at the same time, with Twin Peaks and X-Files coming back and Star Wars 7 with the original cast, and with binge streaming of old series a reality now, nostalgia is high and people want shows that flat out never end. Some genius producer might be thinking a continuation has huge guest star appeal with Patrick Stewart and others still willing to reprise their classic roles. A totally new series would be a gamble, but the involvement of fan favorite characters, especially after the TNG movies did not have a satisfying conclusion, and with competition from Doctor Who's continuous storytelling style, I would say there's a 60% chance this announcement is the greenlit Captain Worf series or something similar. Given that it is produced by Alex Kurtzman with his JJ Trek connection, the possibilities for profit are limitless. Therefore, we can reasonably expect a style like the new movies, modified for TV (longterm arc storytelling combined with standalones is good for Trek), but probably a continuation rather than a prequel or unrelated sidestory. I am happy.

Lastly, Sonikku get in here!
:mrgreen:
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:52 pm

Now I just need a Season 3 of SatAM Sonic. :lol:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby myshtuff » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Man I'm gonna feel bad for Michael Dorn if this isn't his Worf Chronicles pitch. He's been trying so hard to get that greenlit.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: KiBa
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby HedlessChickn » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:44 pm

CBS is only showing the pilot on broadcast TV, then moving the series to their own proprietary streaming service that you must pay $5.99 a month for.

Nope.

Not gonna happen.

As much as I love ST, I am not going to pay yet another subscription just to watch one show.
HedlessChickn
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: HedlessChickn
XBL: HedlessChickn
Steam: HedlessChickn
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby KiBa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:18 am

I only subscribe to Hulu for the Criterion Collection, so I'll definitely subscribe to CBS for Star Trek, assuming the pilot is the best thing I've ever seen (and I'm a big enough fan that it has a good shot). Luckily, $6 is doable for me at present.

The CBS exclusive streaming thing is only in the U.S. Elsewhere, it'll be on TV or Netflix or Hulu. So if you're not American, you're in luck.

I wasn't particularly surprised by this move. Back in 1996, Voyager was the flagship of the UPN network for the same reason. They've been trying to have an exclusive Star Trek channel for decades, and streaming is the new cable.

@
Sonikku: The Ferengis at Cryptic must be overjoyed. This announcement probably just secured their jobs for years to come. I also hope this means eventual new and better content. ;-)

KiBa has received a thanks from: Sonikku
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:56 am

only streaming? Idk about that, pretty sure they will play this on TV at some point. But even if not, if the show sounds interesting ill just buy the blu rays when they come out instead of paying that subscription, or maybe even watch stream and buy blu rays if its that good.

As for what this actually is, I dont mind it being Worf as Captain, but I would really prefer a whole new show honestly. I feel like having it be worf is kind of milking nostalgia and riding on old fan favorite characters, worf is a popular character, i would say most people probably know him before they would know Commander Riker or Sisko. I wouldnt hate it, but a brand new cast and fresh situation I think would be best. Plus it just doesnt seem like worf is really the type to be a captain, idk he just seems real good at taking orders and not so much making decisions and giving orders.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: KiBa
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby myshtuff » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:29 am

phpBB [video]
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sonikku » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 pm

I'd like to get excited about this, but the lack of a presence on tv will surely hurt. It seems a shame they've decided on doing a trek formula rehash in the Abrams universe when "Klingon's" had so much untapped potential. I'm guessing they didn't go that angle because the budget will likely be cheap relative to what they spent on TNG and with Dorn having to sit through six hours of makeup before every taping, having a whole crew of Klingon's would be a huge expense and logistical nightmare.

KiBa wrote: So if you're not American, you're in luck. ;-)

Story of my life.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:01 am

I was just watching a season 1 episode "Angel One" and Geordi takes command of the enterprise because Riker is on an away mission and Picard and eventually the rest of the ship get sick, anyway worf advises Geordi and he takes the advice and thanks worf. Worf advised him not to leave the bridge for engineering while in command and explained the officers in engineering can handle what ever job that had to be done. That video of Worf getting denied is brutal though, in the instance I mentioned not so much though.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby fittersau » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:40 am

myshtuff wrote:
phpBB [video]

So harsh..
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KiBa » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:53 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: I was just watching a season 1 episode "Angel One" and Geordi takes command of the enterprise because Riker is on an away mission and Picard and eventually the rest of the ship get sick, anyway worf advises Geordi and he takes the advice and thanks worf. Worf advised him not to leave the bridge for engineering while in command and explained the officers in engineering can handle what ever job that had to be done. That video of Worf getting denied is brutal though, in the instance I mentioned not so much though.

Well, Geordi is blind and doesn't know Worf is a Klingon.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Return to Off Topic