I visit Yokosuka this Friday, where should I go?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Postby ConanTheKing » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:56 am

I need Shenmue things to do.

So far I got:
    Dobuita Street
    Buy a gatchapon
    Buy ice coffee at a vending machine or Cola
    Visit the gaudy jacket shops

Any other ideas? No, I'm not going to ask for sailors. I also hear there are cultural tensions, I spoke to a former navy man that told me there are signs by the suburbs saying "No foreigners allowed" so sadly I can't walk down some of the quieter streets.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:59 am

I wouldn't worry about any "no foreigners allowed" places. That's not so common.
I've lived in Japan for many years, never been to Yokosuka, but I hear they have a large Chinese immigrant population in Dobuita these days. Well, perhaps its always been like that because Chinese people are in Dobuita in Shenmue 1 back in the 80's aswell.

Honestly Japan does have a racism problem (what country doesn't) but it's usually more subtle and not so direct. It's more indirect and you'll just have an overall feeling of being unwelcome. If you start acting up, speaking too loudly, being overall annoying, ya they might tell you to go away but that's to be expected anywhere. Just be a nice guy and watch your manners. You'll be fine.
Honestly go anywhere you want with respect to the area. If you have a nice camera that's not just your smartphone, carry it and if anyone asks who you are or what you are doing, say you are a student and studying Japanese. Nobody can get mad at you for that. "Watashi wa gakusei desu. Nihongo wo benkyoushimasu" then smile and be on your way.
Have fun ;)
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: I visit Yokosuka this Friday, where should I go?

Postby Sonikku » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 pm

If anyone asks why you're disruptive just tell them you're trying to track down your father's killer so you can avenge his death.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Return to Off Topic