Why is today's Music so "crap" now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Why is today's Music so "crap" now?

Postby oreh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:44 pm

To be honest I think it went downhill in the 2000s. Every song now has no funky tune like the 80s and the theme is pretty much about the same thing (partying and boyfriends), barely anyone writes their own music anymore, most of it has inappropriate lyrics and shit that doesn't make sense (remember when some rap songs were actually appropriate for families to listen to lol?), their voices are now fake and computerized, no one has a good/unique voice, every pop song has rap in it. Why is music so bad now? I can't believe that crap that most people like nowadays. Classical music/ jazz is actually smart music and people hate it. Everywhere I go extremely embarrassing melodies are played including instruments mixed together that just sound like a mess, also fucking Justin Bieber. For real, 2016 has absolute trash music compared to the glory days of classic music 1980s - 1990s. We are going backwards.
oreh
Banned
Banned

Re: Why is today's Music so "crap" now?

Postby redline » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:04 pm

Last edited by redline on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Monkei » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Welcome to being old.

Monkei has received a thanks from: OL
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:19 pm

yeah I wish we could get the 60s 70s 80s and 90s back. People today are just trying to make money maker songs that are going to be a hit, and not make legitimate music and albums. There are still good music, you just have to sift through the shit to get to it, and the stuff on the radio? Forget it.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:37 pm

phpBB [video]

Axm has received 2 thanks from: AnimeGamer183, Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:20 am

I think it's because there really isn't much room for innovation or new grounds to tread in regards to music nowadays. Sure, music has existed since the dawn of time, but only in the past eighty or so years did the 'big push' happen where music technology really started to evolve, resulting in new acts taking up the mantle, evolving, and laying the groundwork for new acts to come.

Honestly, where else is there to go in this day and age? Most new talent is simply replicating that which came years before them with very minimal difference. We're never going to see another Beatles, Queen, or Black Sabbath because those days have long since passed, and everything that really matters was already done by those groups.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:02 am

Meh, we have the internet, so actually finding decent stuff you like has never been easier, you have literally a whole world of it from every age to search through!

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: Rakim
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:45 am

ShenGCH wrote:Honestly, where else is there to go in this day and age? Most new talent is simply replicating that which came years before them with very minimal difference. We're never going to see another Beatles, Queen, or Black Sabbath because those days have long since passed, and everything that really matters was already done by those groups.

That's the same sentiment that 99% of people would have had before those groups came along. If we all knew what the next step was, it would have been tried by now. That's why those who truly break new ground are hailed as geniuses and visionaries.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby OL » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:23 am

oreh wrote: To be honest I think it went downhill in the 2000s. Every song now has no funky tune like the 80s and the theme is pretty much about the same thing (partying and boyfriends), barely anyone writes their own music anymore, most of it has inappropriate lyrics and shit that doesn't make sense (remember when some rap songs were actually appropriate for families to listen to lol?), their voices are now fake and computerized, no one has a good/unique voice, every pop song has rap in it. Why is music so bad now? I can't believe that crap that most people like nowadays. Classical music/ jazz is actually smart music and people hate it. Everywhere I go extremely embarrassing melodies are played including instruments mixed together that just sound like a mess, also fucking Justin Bieber. For real, 2016 has absolute trash music compared to the glory days of classic music 1980s - 1990s. We are going backwards.

People have continued to say the exact same stuff you're saying all throughout time. Everyone always thinks the music they liked earlier in life was some kind of golden heyday in music history. You can go as far back as the 1800s, look at reviews for the music of Nicolo Paganini, and find people talking about how near-sacrilegious his music was, how terrible it was, how times had apparently changed for the worse and everything was going to hell. But if you played that same music for the average person today, and compare it to something that came before it, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
The only truth of it all is that music changes over time. Music doesn't get "worse." Sure, there's a lot of stuff out there nowadays that I'd consider absolute crap, but that's always been the case. For everything you consider to be good from a given era, there's usually an equal or greater amount that you'd hate from that same era. The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s were all full of downright awful, simplistic music, aside from the things we actually like and remember.

I'd say the only thing that's truly changed is the method of music distribution. With the world being so interconnected nowadays, information as a whole is saturated throughout our culture, and music is a part of that.
Great music is still being made all the time, you just have to look for it. Dig past the crap. Experiment with different genres, look for music from other countries. You're talking about radio tripe, but that shit has always been pretty "meh." Look for things that aren't on the radio and you might find something great.
EDIT: Just realized AG said halfway the same thing, though I can't say I agree about music nowadays being all about the money; it is true, but that's always been the case.

Also:

Monkei wrote:Welcome to being old.

OL has received 4 thanks from: mikec_ct, Monkei, Perfect_Chaos, St. Elmo's Fire
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Music has no soul now, it doesnt come from the heart, its not inspired by the artist. Now they are just making what people want to hear, the inspiration comes from what they think other people want and not what they themselves want to make. That takes away a huge element that presents new ideas and helps music evolve, sure the sound and production methods may change, but the messages and themes and concepts have been largely the same for a while now, music is lacking originality and talent. We have acts like Lady Gaga that put so much of themselves into their music basically saying I cant make music anymore because of the way the industry currently is, not that im the hugest fan of her, but she wasnt afraid make music about the way she personally felt and how she thought certain things worked, her philosophies, and thats what you have to have to be successful. Now we have everyone just trying to copy each other and make a song to coat tail the success of another song etc etc etc, and it waters down and washes out the whole music industry and we get to the point we are today where we have lost musical direction over the past 12+ years.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Axm
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:23 pm

Because Bach was so based that he destroyed counterpoint for the next generations.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Rakim
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Pop music got shittier. Independant music has never been better. Just my opinion.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Rakim » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:19 pm

Did you guys learn nothing from Midnight In Paris?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Raithos » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:53 am

Really funny that someone banned him, yet you guys keep responding lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby myshtuff » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:24 pm

What's funny is that I've kinda taken a music break this past 6 months after discovering podcasts. I listened to nothing but podcasts and did a sort of cleansing of music. When I went back to it, my standard music sounded refreshing again and led me to find new artists as well. Another thing that I think helps is finding music not in your language. Just because you can't understand them doesn't mean it's not good.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: OL
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Next

Return to Off Topic