Why is today's Music so "crap" now?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Why is today's Music so "crap" now?

Postby Jokatech19 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:42 am

It's also about what's being predominantly pushed. I used to say the same thing, but there is an amazing underground scene, and a select few artists that have amazing ideas. I took a liking to Esperanza Spalding, and I met a few local musicians at venues near me that have some amazing projects.

Also, if interested, here is a link to a project I just completed. My first experimental foray

https://open.spotify.com/album/1dILFZskTXqYcu09jXSWpu

Jokatech19 has received a thanks from: OL
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:05 am

Raithos wrote: Really funny that someone banned him, yet you guys keep responding lol.

Doesnt mean they cant come up with a decent topic just because they are banned. But yeah I just saw that too, pretty sure i know which old member it was trying to stir trouble under a new name with a seemingly innocent topic, that was one of his things, and mini flame wars took place because of his dumb ass attempts at causing trouble. Maybe im wrong though and its not what I think it is.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Jokatech19 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:52 pm

I was reading Miles Davis' biography the other day, and it's so cool how the music scene was back then. If there is one thing that you can argue has changed a bit, it's the willingness to sit down and digest the ins and outs of musical pieces. Back then, reporters, listeners, etc would all dive into breaking down the nuances of albums and stuff. I've been trying for the life of me to find venues that do that today, and they just don't exist. I got a review for my last 2 albums, which was well done by the site- Music Emissions, but they don't get into the ideas on the pieces themselves. There's a lot of layers in the recent stuff that I've done, as well as other indie musicians out there, but no one opens discussions to have an in depth opinion on them.

I don't mind my stuff being liked or hated, but I would love to get feed back from anyone, critic or otherwise, breaking down what they get out of the stuff I do on my records. That's part of why I make them.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Rakim wrote: Did you guys learn nothing from Midnight In Paris?

All I remember about that film was that Owen Wilson decided to spend his entire holiday with his smoking hot wife avoiding her so he could hang out with Kathy Bates.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Rakim, silent killer
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:50 am

OL is right when he says people have always had this complaint and music changes. And its funny that the original poster said that for him (or her) that music fell off in the 2000s because in the early 2000s most made the switch from analog recording to digital recording. It used to be you needed $100,000 worth of equipment to record indusry level music. now a days it only takes about $2,000. Before if you wanted reverb you had a machine that did that. You want an 808 in your song? better have an 808 machine. now a days all of these gadgets are done by a single recording program thats on a single computer so the whole recording process is easier to do and more accessible to the average joe blow. This is part of why music has changed so much in the past 16ish years. This is also why professional recording studios world wide are shutting down. People are creating music at home now instead. hardware being replaced by software gave birth to plugins like autotune, time correction etc... Before if you needed a singer he/she better be able to sing. Your drummer better actually be able to keep time and stay on beat, but now its more of a "well lets just get it laid down then we'll correct it later" approach. This new approach makes scouting for talent completely different. Screw talent! we'll digitally create talent. How marketable is the artist? Is the artist attractive? etc... These are the things that matter now. Because theres so many people recording from home and going viral online from their amateur shit projects, their tasteless talentless music becomes a trend to the point that even the major artists start to emulate it

Perfect_Chaos has received a thanks from: Axm
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Perfect_Chaos wrote: OL is right when he says people have always had this complaint and music changes. And its funny that the original poster said that for him (or her) that music fell off in the 2000s because in the early 2000s most made the switch from analog recording to digital recording. It used to be you needed $100,000 worth of equipment to record indusry level music. now a days it only takes about $2,000. Before if you wanted reverb you had a machine that did that. You want an 808 in your song? better have an 808 machine. now a days all of these gadgets are done by a single recording program thats on a single computer so the whole recording process is easier to do and more accessible to the average joe blow. This is part of why music has changed so much in the past 16ish years. This is also why professional recording studios world wide are shutting down. People are creating music at home now instead. hardware being replaced by software gave birth to plugins like autotune, time correction etc... Before if you needed a singer he/she better be able to sing. Your drummer better actually be able to keep time and stay on beat, but now its more of a "well lets just get it laid down then we'll correct it later" approach. This new approach makes scouting for talent completely different. Screw talent! we'll digitally create talent. How marketable is the artist? Is the artist attractive? etc... These are the things that matter now. Because theres so many people recording from home and going viral online from their amateur shit projects, their tasteless talentless music becomes a trend to the point that even the major artists start to emulate it

phpBB [video]

When I went to find the URL for that I noticed I'd already liked it! :lol:

St. Elmo's Fire has received a thanks from: myshtuff
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby munchmunch » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:41 pm

I miss MySpace days.

munchmunch has received a thanks from: scarless landi
munchmunch
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby KiBa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:39 pm

oreh wrote:We are going backwards.

Illogical. The problem with your analysis is that there is no we.

As for why mainstream music is generally shit, watch Mel Brooks 'The Producers'. While
OL and others are right that every generation has looked back on past as golden eras and despised the present, it's not because you're old and should be renewed. It's because the mainstream in every time is absolute garbage, and only after about 20 years of retrospection are the best of the lot, many unknown at that time, cherry picked into the history books to depict its era in the best possible light. Hardly anything huge right now will be remember, and much of what isn't popularly discussed right now will be fondly remembered as the sound of the age. All the people who don't know anything about our time because they haven't been born yet will have no idea. They'll just believe what they'll be told, just like we did when we were new.

KiBa has received 5 thanks from: Jokatech19, Monkei, myshtuff, OL, St. Elmo's Fire
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Cyberman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Easy. Because of people like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Nah, in reality it is worse (and by worse I mean less complex).

But that's what consumerism does, it averages everything, sometimes the development is linear (like in tech), sometimes it's not and the bar gets lowered. The latest influx of creativity came from black guys using european instruments (and what Dvorak thought it should be the future of the american school of classical music).

Before the concept of music for the populous and for the rich were still separated but they took a lot of cues from each one, today academic music is a very niche market.

I remember reading how a V-I progression could be considered addictive, so while doing music for easy consumption people don't need to go that far to find a reaction (specially when there's nothing guiding the development more than money).

BTW I'm talking about the latest 100 years or so, not just justin bieber or whatever, it has been on this path for quite a long time.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Previous

Return to Off Topic