What is the diffrence between cyberbullying and trolling?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

What is the diffrence between cyberbullying and trolling?

Postby Cyberman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:48 pm

I know trolls do it for fun, but is cyberbullying that much worse?
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: What is the diffrence between cyberbullying and trollin

Postby OL » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:58 pm

I would think trolling is when people do things for laughs (mostly just lying, poking fun, or playing tricks), whereas cyberbullying is when someone goes out of their way to target and fuck with someone out of malice.
Just like real life, the guy who puts a whoopee cushion in someone's chair isn't the same as the guy who shoves a weak kid around after school.

OL has received 4 thanks from: Bluecast, Cyberman, Raithos, Sonikku
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:55 pm

They're both pretty lame. Pretty much why the internet sucks. Everybody's looking for a laugh, and it's usually at the expense of someone else or through really degenerate humor. But yeah, a cyberbully has malice, trolls are just assholes.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 pm

A troll will give you a virus, a cyberbully will give you a link to the Top 10 Ways to Kill Yourself. Either way both are easily avoidable, but people pay attention anyway.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby RyoShenmue » Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 am

Cyberbullying is generally people who know you and make it personal. Perhaps they do it offline, as well as online and just makes life in general horrible for the victim. But a chair across the back of the head in real life and or reporting, having accounts deleted or avoiding the same sites online, depending on the severity, will generally solve the bullying in most forms. Picking yourself off the floor or finding your account suspended, especially if you have prior friends work, etc. can be a major blow (no pun intended) and will also make them less eager to try again.

A troll is generally someone who is random and just looking for some kicks. They may make it personal, but a general troll wont be much more than a nuacence for a little while. You can't wack them in the back of the head, but the other things work to an extent. A troll will usually just make another account though.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon May 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Cyberbullying really shouldn't even be a term. Just muddies up the water and gives people more shit to complain about, instead of growing a thicker skin or working on their self-esteem so some comment from some random person online doesn't affect them. You can try to pinpoint a definition of cyberbullying, but the line between cyberbullying and trolling is always going to be blurry.

What people refer to cyberbullying is just harassment, which basically what real life bullying is as well. Harassment can only occur if the person is able to bring the bullying into real life as well. Online you can just block people, or just fucking walk away from the computer. Online only harassment is almost never serious unless you allow it to be.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Mon May 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Mr. Frozen wrote: Cyberbullying really shouldn't even be a term. Just muddies up the water and gives people more shit to complain about, instead of growing a thicker skin or working on their self-esteem so some comment from some random person online doesn't affect them. You can try to pinpoint a definition of cyberbullying, but the line between cyberbullying and trolling is always going to be blurry.

What people refer to cyberbullying is just harassment, which basically what real life bullying is as well. Harassment can only occur if the person is able to bring the bullying into real life as well. Online you can just block people, or just fucking walk away from the computer. Online only harassment is almost never serious unless you allow it to be.

reported for triggering me. You don't know the struggle us victims of cyber bullying have had to go through. Some of us even have PTSD, have some fucking respect.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Well, I am not the type to beat around the bush for the sake of not hurting one's feelings so I may come of as ridiculously insensitive and mean, but I understand. See, here is a more detailed breakdown as to what I was getting at:

The internet is a form of escapism for people who do not enjoy the real world. Having someone infiltrate your world of escapism and harass you may seem even worse than someone who may harass you in real life because the internet world is your safe space. The problem is, categorizing cyberbullying into something on its own just legitimizes the original problem which drove them into the cyberworld to begin with. It is kinda like a morbidly obese person who cant fit through a door and then has teenage kids laughing at him. The obese person feels ultra embarrassed at this and lashes out on the kids and everyone else, saying that they shouldn't be made fun of. Laughing at the person is a shitty thing to do, but the real issue here is that the person is embarrassed about their weight, which in turn made them feel bad about someone laughing at him getting stuck in the door. Shutting up the kids who are laughing doesn't help the root cause (feeling bad about their weight), which leaves the obese person open to being emotionally harmed by future situations that will occur because of the main problem.

But then again when I was growing up, the internet wasn't as vital to communication as it was today. Wikipedia just became a thing when I was in highschool, and facebook wasn't even open to the public in my early 20s. Today kids are likely not to use the internet as a form of escapism, but rather as a way to stay in contact. But this makes it easier to ignore people, I think, since you can literally just block anyone who is trying to bully you. Then again I am thinking about this with an adult mind, it is hard for me to understand why a child would continue to allow someone to fuck with them constantly on the internet (same as why kids allowed themselves to get bullied in school), and it is probably a more complex issue (feelings of inferiority, helplessness, etc...). Which brings me back to my previous point.

The focus needs to be kept on what is causing people to be insecure enough to be affected by these forms of harassment, not the actual harassment itself. Of course you can get the law involved in the most extreme cases, but that doesn't change the fact that the emotional damage has already been done.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Stop cyber-bullying me.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Bluecast
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon May 22, 2017 9:37 pm

I've been bamboozled
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Mon May 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Maybe you were the one being cyber-bullied all along
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Mr. Frozen » Mon May 22, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm literally shaking right now.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RyoShenmue » Tue May 30, 2017 12:24 am

A person with out much effort can go beyond the pale and make a person's life a living hell, simply because they do not like that individual.  People do not kill themselves simply because they were laughed at or trolled, generally speaking anyway.

Revenge photos/info of exes or friends after a fallout in awkward situations can be posted to just about everyone connected to the victim- family, real life/online friends, co-workers/classmates, neighbors even.  (Facebook is the worst in my opinion.) Get the one person banned/blocked and they come back.  Take certain precautions with how info can be spread only makes it more difficult, but not impossible to continue the bullying.

Heck, even deleting your own profile does not stop the bully from still sending things to your contacts, family and friends. What once was just being called names or getting beaten up, now is brought to head of all that person's loved ones, friends, coworkers, ect.  And now they have to live with all that knowledge/embarrassment for the rest of their lives and that does not include the havoc it will play on those family/friends and coworkers receiving that info.

Whether you call it bullying, cyber-bullying or harrassment, doesn't change what is happening. But perhaps my example is a more extreme case. And then of course there are even worse things out there...

However the days of simply going to a random chat room as an unidentified and unassuming person is much rarer these days. People generally have this connected to that, linked to this, etc. and build their lives around it.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Return to Off Topic