Religion

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Religion

Postby PILMAN » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 pm

I was raised Jewish, I feel somewhat uncomfortable mentioning it as I never really know what someones reaction will be, honestly it would be best if it didn't really matter in some cases.

As for what I believe now, I don't really know. I have a bad taste in my mouth with religion, I've explored into other religions and while I suppose I could say I believe in something, I think I try to stick more to science, history, and a somewhat agnostic view to a degree.

My wife was raised Catholic, I think she doesn't really follow catholicism either.

For me, i've seen way too much division. I end up getting rejected by other Jews for not being "Jewish enough" since my mom was a convert (though my dad was born Jewish both parents), and I end up being seen as a Jew by outsiders and then the whole mess defining if Jews constitute a ethnic group or not.

I can't exactly distance myself completely from being Jewish because my father was buried in a Jewish cemetery, and I wouldn't exist had it not been for that part of the family.

I wonder if this is just mainly a western specific issue.

My situation is awkward since I left the Chicago suburbs to a remote area of northwest Florida. Chicago has a significant Jewish population. I generally tend to feel very remote and distant with the Jewish community as I have not felt like I have had a supportive community and don't tend to really associate in common interests. It's like more of a blood relationship but a distant one.

As for other religions, I have nothing against them, people are free to believe what they want so long as they are respectful to those practicing in peace. I actually like some elements from other religions, for example, I like that many Christians have such a huge community and go out of their way to help others.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to Off Topic