Disney Buy’s Fox

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Disney Buy’s Fox

Postby Riku Rose » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Disney is in talks to purchase 21st Century Fox, acquiring its slate of original titles and rights to various franchises, according to a CNBC report. CNBC notes that talks have not occurred in the past few weeks, but both companies could revisit the deal at a later date.

The report alleges that Disney would acquire the majority of the company, with the exception of Fox’s sports and news divisions. Other properties, however, including The Fantastic Four, X-Men and numerous TV series would become Disney properties. That means the X-Men could finally appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and vice-versa. Up until now, Fox has maintained the cinematic rights to the X-Men characters and their canon. Disney has used a couple of X-Men characters, most notably Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, in The Avengers: Age of Ultron, but could not refer to them as mutants.

While having the X-Men in The Avengers is the more exciting aspect of the rumor, the more crucial element of the deal that Disney is interested in revolves around Disney’s upcoming streaming service. Disney announced earlier this year that it was ending its deal with Netflix as of 2019. Instead, Disney would bring its movies and TV series to its new streaming platform. Fox’s movies and TV series make that a much more valuable offer to viewers.

Fox has also been in the process of moving its slate of TV series off of Netflix, sending them over to Hulu instead. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother and Futurama are just a few of the titles that Disney would acquire if this deal goes through. According to CNBC:

For Disney, the opportunity to take control of another movie studio and significant TV production assets as it readies a direct to consumer entertainment streaming offering is attractive as is fox's significant exposure to international markets, such as the U.K., Germany and Italy both through its networks and 30 percent ownership of B Sky B.
There are many questions to be answered before the deal goes through, not least of which is getting approval from the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Competition. Polygon has reached out to Disney for comment. Disney declined to comment on the report when asked by CNBC.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/6/16614 ... x-takeover

Disney means fucking business with building it's IP catalog.
Last edited by Riku Rose on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: Disney in Talks to Buy Fox & Get Back X-Men

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Would this include The Simpsons?
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:33 am

Personally all I care about from this is Disney giving Die Hard one last hurrah before putting it to bed. Not havin any of this Year One shite.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby OL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Ugh. I actually think Fox is on a pretty good path with the X-Men franchise at the moment. Giving it up to Marvel would seriously fuck all that up. Marvel is obsessed with their continuity and accessibility. If Marvel had owned the X-Men a few years ago, we never would have gotten movies like Logan or Deadpool, or tv ventures of the caliber of Legion. They would want it all to fit in with their shite little Avengers universe, and force it all to have the same PG-13 sense of humor and mega-mainstream appeal.
Fuck all that.
Some people blow their loads at the thought of Wolverine and Captain America teaming up, but I've always, ever since I was a kid, thought that the X-Men works much better if treated like it's in its own little universe. Even in the comics, crossovers with the rest of the Marvel universe always felt strangely crowded and ill-fitting to me.
Really hope this doesn't happen.

OL has received a thanks from: sand4fish
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm

The problem is that Marvel ignores the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises in both comic books and video games now because they can't use them as advertisements for the big money makers (movies). So while I really did enjoy Logan and Deadpool, I'd much rather Disney have the property even if I kind of hate Disney. I mean just look at Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. There isn't a single X-Men character in it... like wtf... you know that's because they don't have the movie rights and they don't want to promote fox.

Anyway, while fox may have made a few good X-Men movies lately, I personally think most of them are pretty horrible to mediocre. Even if you think Disney's Marvel is also bad (which I think it isn't nearly as bad as fox), they've had a good track record lately too with Spiderman Homecoming, Guardians 2, and Thor 3.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:05 pm

I think Deadpool ended up being the most profitable superhero film since it had such a low budget so I can't see Disney trying to make him family friendly, if it ain't broke. Daredevil and Punisher aren't exactly family friendly and are in the MCU. I can imagine a film as violent and with cursing like Logan but if he popped up in a future Avengers he would keep in PG. I think it just opens up more opportunity for Marvel to expand especially when we're getting towards the end of the Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans era.

Fox have done great with Logan and Deadpool but I don't think I've 'loved' an X-Men film since X2. It seems to be a series with no real direction and I'm getting bored of them forming the X-Men in every single film and never staying together. It seems like all the X-Men do is meet each other 20 minutes into each film and say "I haven't seen you since..." and discuss something from the last film. The next film they're just doing the Dark Phoenix storyline again and I'm still not sure if they've even rebooted and the first trilogy doesn't count anymore or if it's an alternative timeline.

I actually started watching Legion last weekend and I'm 3 episodes in and outside of saying the word mutant about once an episode it doesn't have much to do with X-Men.

I was actually reading about this deal at work today and it's crazy what Disney would gain. Disney are making their own Netflix style streaming service and have already announced pretty much everything Disney, Marvel and Star Wars will be exclusively on their service going forward. Buying Fox will allow them to add stuff like The Simpsons, Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development and Futurama. Then on the film side they'd gain Avatar, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Planet of the Apes.

Fox also own a large stake in Sky here in the UK which Disney would then control. For you Americans Sky is like cable but if there was only one cable company. Disney would then be the distributer of HBO content like Game of Thrones and the Premier Legaue in the UK. I just looked at Sky alone has 11 million people subscribed.

Would be a great buisness move.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 pm

We're all going to miss the days of when we cut the cord and got most of the movies we wanted to watch all under one roof for $10 a month with Netflix. Now everybody is taking their properties back and are all making their own individual streaming services with their own rules and pricing structures. We cut the cord to get away from all this nonsense but now it's coming back just in a different form.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby JohnBlack » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Sonikku wrote: We're all going to miss the days of when we cut the cord and got most of the movies we wanted to watch all under one roof for $10 a month with Netflix. Now everybody is taking their properties back and are all making their own individual streaming services with their own rules and pricing structures. We cut the cord to get away from all this nonsense but now it's coming back just in a different form.

It will be the same as Game stores. First steam took early lead, everyone decided to do the same stuff with own games(UPlay, Origin, Games for Windows), and only after that all started to work with publishers and steam.
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 pm

I feel like it's a weird little secret... although it really isn't... but y'all need to visit your public library for movies instead of worrying about streaming services.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Disney is out of control. Gone are the days where I can think of a certain animation style and film quality and know its disney. They have sold out to the modern era for cash, and whats really crazy is that me and everyone else STILL eats up everything they put out, and while the actual business decisions are blatant money grabs, they take the IPs and companies they acquire and make media better than they ever were before. Im just saying they are unrecognizable now compared to what they used to be. How far will they go?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:06 pm

OL wrote: Ugh. I actually think Fox is on a pretty good path with the X-Men franchise at the moment. Giving it up to Marvel would seriously fuck all that up. Marvel is obsessed with their continuity and accessibility. If Marvel had owned the X-Men a few years ago, we never would have gotten movies like Logan or Deadpool, or tv ventures of the caliber of Legion. They would want it all to fit in with their shite little Avengers universe, and force it all to have the same PG-13 sense of humor and mega-mainstream appeal.
Fuck all that.
Some people blow their loads at the thought of Wolverine and Captain America teaming up, but I've always, ever since I was a kid, thought that the X-Men works much better if treated like it's in its own little universe. Even in the comics, crossovers with the rest of the Marvel universe always felt strangely crowded and ill-fitting to me.
Really hope this doesn't happen.

Definitely! No way The New Mutants would be a horror feature under Disney's management.

phpBB [video]
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Thief » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Am I in bizarro world or something? Fox blows... right? Has our hatred for Disney blinded us of this fact?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Will this mean that Disney finally gets the rights to the unaltered edition of Episode 4? If so Disney could finally release an unmodified original trilogy bluray set with actual remastering instead of the cheap laserdisc port George made when releasing the originals on dvd.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: KiBa
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Disney Buy’s Fox

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 am

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Re: Disney Buy’s Fox

Postby KiBa » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:30 pm