Shenmue's biggest plot hole

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue's biggest plot hole

Postby asdfguy » Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 pm

I always wondered this, but why didn't the police investigate the death of Ryo's father? The makers of Shenmue didn't even mention the police. It would have made sense if the police didn't want to get involved because the Yakuza involvement. But they didn't mention anything. There could of been a scene where Ryo finds out from a whistleblower that the police didn't want to investigate too much because the murder has ties to the Yakuza.

Just a thought...
asdfguy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Shenmue's biggest plot hole

Postby Axm » Tue May 19, 2015 2:46 am

Ya I always thought about why no mention of police involvement was made, but ofcourse theirs nothing they can really do about it. A Chinese person illegally enters Japan by frieght ship, kills someone and leaves. That person is also a leader of an undergound triad group with huge political and physical power.

Ya, nothing can really be done especially considering Japan and China relations in the 80's.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Tue May 19, 2015 3:52 am

Axm wrote: Ya I always thought about why no mention of police involvement was made, but ofcourse theirs nothing they can really do about it. A Chinese person illegally enters Japan by frieght ship, kills someone and leaves. That person is also a leader of an undergound triad group with huge political and physical power.

Ya, nothing can really be done especially considering Japan and China relations in the 80's.

If, at any point in the game, you try to phone the police, Ryo will automatically hang up and say something along the lines of, "I don't want to get the police involved," so perhaps the series of events following the death of Iwao were all handled privately, including the funeral, etc.? Makes make think it's something to do with family tradition in that if a member of the family dies, everything is taken care of very quickly as a way to honour them. Seeing as there was just a four day gap between the death of Iwao and the beginning of Ryo's adventure, shit would have had to have happened really fast. Plus, there's the fact that a reading of a will took place; Ine-san tells Ryo he should "respect the will of your father and look after the dojo."

I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby johnvivant » Tue May 19, 2015 4:54 am

yeah, having discussions with police would have felt out of place in the game in my opinion. maybe the four day gap was for us to assume that the police were informed and are investigating but Ryo wouldn't deal with them again.

in fact i don't think you come into contact with law enforcement during either game. only security guards.

this is also supposed to be an old style revenge story, dating from a time before the establishment of institutions like a national police force, hence the necessity of taking matters into ones owns hands. otherwise Ryo would have just stayed home!
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue May 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Yu said that they were too corrupt or that the Chi-You Men were too big or a ghost or some shit like that.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby sand4fish » Thu May 21, 2015 4:37 pm

ShenGCH is right. There is definitely mention of police in Shenmue. It's all really subtle though. Remember there's a 4 days gap between Ryo's dad and when we have control of the character. A lot might have happened.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue