Most beautiful moment(s) in Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Most beautiful moment(s) in Shenmue?

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:30 am

Favourite moments aside, are there any particular moments, scenes, things, or otherwise in Shenmue you consider to be beautiful? The kind that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside; that leave you with a content smile on your face; or even left you awestruck the first time you experienced them?

There are quite a few things in Shenmue I can confidently describe as being beautiful, but the one that sticks with me the most is the cutscene with Ryo and Nozomi at the altar where she gives him the amulet before they both part ways to head off on their journeys. It's such a sentimental, tender moment, and a brilliant bridge between Ryo's last moments in his old life and the beginning of his new adventure. I love how it's the very last thing he thinks of before getting onto the boat, too, as if he is keeping true to his father's dying wish of keeping his friends and loved ones close. Fucking love that scene.

Please share yours :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Most beautiful moment(s) in Shenmue?

Postby TrashPuppet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:04 am

Probably the ending for me. Then there's the other little things, like collecting the cassette tapes and actually having to buy new batteries from listening to them regularly. That would be pretty awesome if they brought that back for III.
TrashPuppet
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Phantasy Star Online

Postby Giorgio » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:02 am

When Shenhua tried to kiss Ryo (and the latter made a facial expression like he tasted the flavour of a crunched lemon pip).
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BlueMue » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:21 am

When you say goodbye to Fangmei after speaking a lot with her and she tells Ryo that she loves him.
The cutscenes with Nozomi at Sakuragaoka Park have a stronger sense of romance but it's Fangmei who says the magic words and for some reason it really strikes me every time I see that.

In Shenmue I the most beautiful scene to me is Iwao teaching little Ryo the elbow assault under the cherry tree, with all the leaves falling and just the charming nature of the scene.

In terms of just visual beauty I'd say the cutscene with the fireflies in Guilin is the most pleasing thing to watch.
But then again a lot of scenes in Guilin are just a beautiful sight, starting right with the intro.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenSun » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 am

For ne personally, all of the 4th disk of shenmue 2. Never seen or experienced anything like it.

Giorgio wrote: When Shenhua tried to kiss Ryo (and the latter made a facial expression like he tasted the flavour of a crunched lemon pip).

When did this scene take place. I have a vague memory of it.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:25 am

ShenSun wrote: When did this scene take place. I have a vague memory of it.

When you have to lead the way through the woods. After Shenhua stops to pick up herbs you can come across more of them and Ryo spot them and that cutscene will play.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:06 am

got a link to a youtube vid?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:18 am

phpBB [video]
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 am

I've only triggered that scene twice in all my playthroughs. It still takes my breath away every time I see it.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zoltor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:40 am

The scene where Fangmei confesses

I second the Shenhua, and Ryo picking herbs scene

and

The ending of Shenmue 1

To BlueMue: Lol yea, everything about Guilin is so beautiful, which is all the better, since when his long journey is finally over, he's going to marry Shenhua, and move to Guilin. It's going to be so great for him.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bellator » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:30 pm

The farewell to the Hazuki residence with the goodbye scene between Ryo and Fuku-San, followed by the last walk through Dobuita.
After the immersion shenmue offers, it feels as if you are leaving your own town, not knowing if you will ever be back.
Absolutely brilliant.
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr357 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:49 am

I like all of the parts with trees. This includes Iron Palm practice with Jianmin, leaf catching behind Man Mo Temple, and the cutscene in which we learn why the series is called Shenmue.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:27 am

Bellator wrote: The farewell to the Hazuki residence with the goodbye scene between Ryo and Fuku-San, followed by the last walk through Dobuita.
After the immersion shenmue offers, it feels as if you are leaving your own town, not knowing if you will ever be back.
Absolutely brilliant.

Fuck, man, I completely forgot about the last walk through Dobuita. That's a brilliant scene, for sure. It's a perspective of Dobuita you never really see, as if the world is still going on all around Ryo as per usual while he's completely, unwaveringly focused on his goal and nothing else matters. It's a very satisfying disconnect.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Might be weird, but when I first saw a plane flying by out of nothing in Wan-Chai I was carried away from the real world. I felt literally like on a vacation and got lost. I was walking aroud admiring the life around myself. Then suddenly that huge plane over my head! It took me completely into the world of Shenmue.

Also this. After defeating Dou Niu. Pretty much "ys" avatar.
Last edited by -=SPZ=-47 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:35 pm

One of my fav :

phpBB [video]

DEVILLE_David has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Sonoshee
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Next

Return to Shenmue