BluePoint Games at work on a "Classic" remake.

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: BluePoint Games at work on a "Classic" remake.

Postby Himuro » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:44 am

[-o<

Come onnnnnn, Shenmue!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:55 am

It's funny how every employment job description at BluePoint Games has slightly different descriptions.

Senior 3D Character Artist

Bluepoint is looking for a SENIOR CHARACTER ARTIST to join our team on a full time basis. Help us create unique assets for a AAA title and current generation home video game consoles. We are preferably looking for an individual with senior-level experience, but open to mid-level experience with exceptional talent and a true passion for creating cutting edge character art.

Senior Graphics Engineer

We are looking for a SENIOR GRAPHICS ENGINEER with an interest in cutting-edge graphics and visual effects systems join our team on a full time basis developing AAA titles for latest-gen home consoles.

Look Dev Technical Artist

You’ll contribute to the AAA titles we currently have in development as well as help set a vision of what is possible for our future titles.

Senior Technical Artist

Bluepoint Games is looking for a SENIOR TECHNICAL ARTIST to join our team on a full time basis. Tackle the most complex asset challenges and join us in developing a world-class workflow to unleash the potential of our art team in developing AAA titles for latest-gen home consoles.

Nice to know there is currently more than one AAA title in development...

Hype Train Pete... :lol:

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 am

But a remake of a game would not be classes as AAA
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 am

Peter wrote: But a remake of a game would not be classes as AAA

Makes sense. So you think those AAA they are talking about are part of some collaboration(s) for actual original new games?

What is a remake of a classic AAA game called? :-o
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Himuro » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:04 pm

How would a Shenmue remake remotely be AAA? You're doing it to yourself again, Kiske.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Himuro wrote: How would a Shenmue remake remotely be AAA? You're doing it to yourself again, Kiske.

The question about AAA remake wasn't rhetorical.

But yes, my interpretation of the AAA's development is both a false hope and false trail.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon May 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share these here, I recently wanted to check what the progress was on the Phantom Dust HD and uncovered some interesting stuff. I've never played this game (as it was never released here in the UK) but it looks really awesome, and apparently it's made by the same guy who made panzer dragoon? Just something about it appeals to me, like if it's a hidden gem from the good old days lol.

It's meant to come out this Spring but we haven't heard anything yet. I wonder if they're planning to shadow drop it at E3? I passed on Voodoo Vince but both of these games look like really great remasters. Here are some screens:

Xbox OG in 4:3 480p:

Xbox One in 16:9 1080p (UPDATE: 30fps confirmed)

If shenmue gets this level of treatment I'd be over the moon. Hopefully it gives up some gauge/idea on what they could potentially accomplish for a Shenmue remaster. It'd be a bit gutting to see Voodoo Vince+Phantom Dust getting their due before Shenmue in this regard (yes I'm salty) but whateves YOU BETTER JUST GIVE IT US SEGA! :-p Let me know your thoughts on the above.
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Thu May 04, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu May 04, 2017 8:01 am

Sorry guys this is a super big tangent from the OP thread I know, it's just I wanted to follow up from my previous post to say that Phantom Dust HD now has a full on 17mins of gameplay up on polygon's YouTube channel with a dev commentary.
Interestingly, they don't even consider it a remaster. It's 1080p now and widescreen, but they haven't altered any of the assets as they say the original art style holds up so well (but the real answer probably is they don't have the source code to fiddle around with and it would be an expensive endeavour for them to make significant changes to art assets/animations).
Imo I'm okay with this as long as the pricing isn't too absurd, it's still looks like a lot of fun and (hopefully) it should hold up quite well. Really interested to try this one out (but I haven't met anyone here who's played the original?) even if shenmue gets this level of love it'll be a huge deal. Also I appreciate you being able to own/run the game on Windows as well as the xbox and both platforms being able to engage in multiplayer together.

https://youtu.be/imfEL1N12CA

Update: Here's the NeoGAF thread with more details shared directly from the devs.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Previous

Return to Shenmue