Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Jibby » Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Popular streamer Joel from Vinesauce is currently streaming Shenmue with 1166 viewers:
https://www.twitch.tv/vargskelethor

It seems that he's enjoying himself and giving Shenmue a pretty good first impression to a lot of people.

Jibby has received a thanks from: Kiske
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Fri May 19, 2017 7:52 am

If you have a minute, please vot for the Shenmue Franchise in the Ranker.com "Best Video Game Franchises of All Time" list.
http://www.ranker.com/list/best-video-g ... nker-games

Shenmue has been added yesterday (Only video game franchises with at least 3 games in the series.) and is currently at number 88.

I don't know how popular this Ranker website is, but it would have been a shame for Shenmue not to at least appear in the list, especially now with Shenmue 3 coming and high hopes for the remasters of 1 & 2.

Thanks!

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Coromasta, Mr357
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby RyoShenmue » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 pm

I fear I will not enjoy Shenmue 3 as I had the other two and the 2nd less then the 1st. I love Japan so it is a no brainer I loved the original. I like China also so 2 was good as well. But both the 1st and 2nd still used real martial arts and no Street Fighter or Dragon Ball Z fire balls.

With the ending of 2 however and the Shenmue Online trailer where everyone was capable of using magic, I began to worry. Will Shenmue be a good game? Certainly. Will it be what I wanted? Only time will tell.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Himuro » Sat May 20, 2017 1:02 am

Suzuki said III will not hav Dragon Ball Z antics and that that was specifically for Shenmue Online.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby RyoShenmue » Sat May 20, 2017 1:12 am

It has been a while, but wasn't there magic at the end of part 2, or only the girl could produce it?
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Himuro » Sat May 20, 2017 2:06 am

I just watched the ending for II - it's been a few years - and yeah, the sword floats on its own. This doesn't mean that hadoukens are confirmed in III, though. Especially since Suzuki has said it will be grounded in traditional martial arts still.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby celsowm » Tue May 23, 2017 11:03 am

celsowm
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Wed May 24, 2017 1:02 pm

I just noticed that the watch looks a little bit cleaner and smoother when it's displayed in one of the arcade games.
I wonder if it has something to do with the video mode that's used there. Image for comparison is enlarged to 400%.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Mr357
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed May 24, 2017 6:01 pm

That's a completely different clock. The hands are completely different. Look at the shading in the gradation along the edge of the watch. It's a completely different image. Interesting.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Rakim » Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 am

Did anybody here play Shenmue Gai when it was possible? And did it suck as bad as I imagine it did?
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sun May 28, 2017 1:16 am

I like Giant Bomb. I think they produce good content. I don't always agree with their views and certainly not their tastes typically but sometimes do. I know many Shenmue fans think Jeff Gerstman is the devil because he very much does not like Shenmue and had a speech how much he thinks it sucks. He is actually pretty funny at times and does have some good insight sometimes.Plus GB recently did a play through and Vinny and Alex were not big fans to say the least. It was funny seeing them complain. You know what? I do not agree with them as I do love the game. I do get why it doesn't click with many people. Jeff said Shenmue was made at a time there was no blueprint for sandbox games. Shenmue tried a lot of things and may not have necessarily worked. I think that is correct to an extent. It didn't have mass appeal no. I think for what it did do worked well and don't harp on it for what it didn't do.

I still play Shenmue because there are some things about it I just find are perfect. The art style. The atmposphere. I'm wearing rose colored glasses on somethings but feel I am aware of some big issues. Writing and VA is pretty bad. Over time that became part of the charm. Some see Yakuza as a streamlined and improved version of what Shenmue tried to offer. That is I believe correct to some degree. At the same time I think they offer something different. I quite enjoy both on a different way. Yakuza has great VA,writing and story. I don't feel an atmosphere in Yakuza like this character truly lives here in a living world. I feel like it's just a backdrop for the story. That's perfectly fine for what Yakuza does. Shenmue is trying to convey a living breathing world. Every character has a routine,blood type and home. Yakuza is much more of a traditional game. Shenmue tries to be a full on experience of that world.

tldr Jeff Gerstman isn't an enemy of Shenmue fans. You can disagree with him without hating him.
We can love both Yakuza and Shenmue.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Spaghetti » Sun May 28, 2017 2:19 am

Weird coincidence how there's Giant Bomb talk going on in here and the Shenmue III E3 thread. There's also a "best E3 reactions" thread going on right now at GAF that's got the GB fans and the EZA fans going at each others throats over Huber's mega-hype moment. Must be that time of year, or maybe month, because I fucking swear that argument comes up in increasingly shorter cycles.

GB themselves, I've spoke my piece about them in the E3 thread so whatever. Some GB fans, however...

They are many of the things they criticise other fan communities of being, minus any sense of self-awareness, while generally being snarky try-hards. They're very concerned about what other people should/shouldn't like, and boy, they'll sure let you know their fucking opinion whether you ask for it or not.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue May 30, 2017 8:09 pm

It makes me happy seeing the Shenmue III forum so alive right now. Sure some heated discussions but I think it's great Shenmue III is happening to even have those heated discussions. It used to be just cynical series is dead get over it type responses...I was guilty of it myself back then. I look forward to the fan discussion after they beat the game. Have theories and such about events in the game or the endings. Heated debates and such. Just like the early days of SD. :)

Bluecast has received a thanks from: ys
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ys » Wed May 31, 2017 7:14 am

Jibby wrote: Popular streamer Joel from Vinesauce is currently streaming Shenmue with 1166 viewers:
https://www.twitch.tv/vargskelethor

It seems that he's enjoying himself and giving Shenmue a pretty good first impression to a lot of people.
Yes it was pretty good. I expected something more cynical for some reason. Maybe since some others approach older games with more "edge" to be funny. He on the other hand was genuinely impressed with the attention to detail compared to other games. Even current ones. For example the fact that they bothered to include Ryo drinking. As he noted : he liked these additions since it makes it more immersive.

Episode 2 :

phpBB [video]
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby celsowm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:04 am

Shenmue I & II on famitsu pool:

source: https://mobile.twitter.com/da34ss/statu ... 855301633/

celsowm has received a thanks from: Kiske
celsowm