...Sidestories?...

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

...Sidestories?...

Postby Forklift#5 » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:01 pm

Don't u think that some side stories would definetly make Shenmue more like a real world experiance? (not like megumi and her cat, but summing bigger)
Forklift#5
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Paul » Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:16 pm

We got the Ryo/fangmei/wierd lookin' pervy guy in shenmue 2, does that count?!
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:57 pm

Maybe after Shenmue 3 Yu Suzuki could make a side stories game where you get to control other characters. I can imagine it now playing as Ren would be a real treat as would playing as Guizang,Chai,Shenhua,Xiuyang,Ziming,Niao-sun,Lan-di,etc. Boy wouldn't that be fun.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby mikec_ct » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:29 pm

Playing as an enemy would ruin the game for me, I think. Shenmue isn't some anonymous experience like Half-Life where you don't care about the main character and therefore have no qualms about taking on the role of his adversaries. I'd love to play as one of Ryo's allies in a side story, though. This would be a good fan project, actually.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:10 pm

Heres a cool Idea for a side game - A huge Ensembal (however you spell it) type game where you switch from character to character - Shortly before the events of shenmue 1, Gui Zhang goes to Hong Kong on buisness. some stuff happens and he ends up in a scrap with ren. at this point, we take control of Ren and see a little of the trouble between the Heavens and yellow heads, involving Joy and Ren, so then with Joy we have a way to link back to Gui Zhang, who visits Xiuying, where we get some unimportant story to fill the gaps. Gui Zhang goes back to Japan and where we get a new spin on the events of shenmue 1 from a new perspective, (like that stupid harbor wars text game on some fansite that slipped into the 'who cares about it when we've got the dojo' catagory) and then we briefly get to play as Ryo in chapter 2, then we arrive in Hong Kong, meet Joy for the first time, but instead of her speeding into the distance, the camera follows her and we get a new spin on shenmue 2 from a number of angles. it would never happen, but I think my idea has the potential to be a real epic if I say so myself! that has to be one of the longest posts I've made since I were a lil noob.
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:15 pm

OK, I know it's comparatively short if you look at posts elsewhere on the forums, but I often give answers that are so short they verge on spam, so it's long for me!
Paul
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mikec_ct » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:19 pm

but that post you made in order to point out that you weren't spamming WAS spam, itself.

....as is the post I'm currently writing now. Dammit.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Alsheimer » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:16 pm

Oh man. Princess Bride. Nice avatar and sig mikec_ct.
Alsheimer
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mikec_ct » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:41 pm

haha thanks. I felt like making a fresh start
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Daemos » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:54 pm

lol. Nice story, Paul.
Daemos
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:56 am

Actually I think Paul has some good ideas-it would be interesting to see the story from other character's perspectives. Like with Gui Zhang you would hear about the strange phone call(from Ryo), and the noise in the warehouse(when Ryo drops the plate)
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby James Brown » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:59 pm

Miles Prower wrote:Actually I think Paul has some good ideas-it would be interesting to see the story from other character's perspectives. Like with Gui Zhang you would hear about the strange phone call(from Ryo), and the noise in the warehouse(when Ryo drops the plate)

Maybe something like Sonic Adventure 1, where it's the same story for each character, but from different perpectives and at other times a whole new adventure...

However, I did think it was weird how from different perspectives different words were used in the same conversations. It made the experience seem like, by choosing a character, you changed how another character acted in the same situation. Which didn't feel as right...

So basically what i'm saying here is that if Shenmue were to go into something like this (from different perspectives), conversations must be researched from the original game and not modifed for each individual character...
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Miles Prower » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:33 pm

James Brown wrote:
Miles Prower wrote:Actually I think Paul has some good ideas-it would be interesting to see the story from other character's perspectives. Like with Gui Zhang you would hear about the strange phone call(from Ryo), and the noise in the warehouse(when Ryo drops the plate)

Maybe something like Sonic Adventure 1, where it's the same story for each character, but from different perpectives and at other times a whole new adventure...

However, I did think it was weird how from different perspectives different words were used in the same conversations. It made the experience seem like, by choosing a character, you changed how another character acted in the same situation. Which didn't feel as right...

So basically what i'm saying here is that if Shenmue were to go into something like this (from different perspectives), conversations must be researched from the original game and not modifed for each individual character...

Yeh, that's what I was thinking. BTW James, it was only in the dubbed voice track different words were used in the same conversations, I've played through it in Japanese and the characters say the same things in each perspective(though the subtitles are still the ones from the dubbed voicetrack, so they are kind of like "dubtitles)
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby James Brown » Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:21 pm

Miles Prower wrote:
James Brown wrote:

Yeh, that's what I was thinking. BTW James, it was only in the dubbed voice track different words were used in the same conversations, I've played through it in Japanese and the characters say the same things in each perspective(though the subtitles are still the ones from the dubbed voicetrack, so they are kind of like "dubtitles)

Weird...why did they choose to dub them with different words?

Lets hope they don't - if this were to happen - dub Shenmue's that way...
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Arlena » Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:06 am

shenmue 1 was really enjoyable.

there is a side story, but not really.

if you fee like it, you can figure out what family each of the important characters belong to.

for example, little megumi has an older sister which i found out by talking and talking and talking to people in the game.

megumi's sister is hotter than nozomi.

also that girl in the luch stand at yokosuka harbor, she has a mother in dobuita taht you can find in a shop selling lunch .
Arlena
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Next

Return to Shenmue