Shenmue Prototype

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue Prototype

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:43 am

So I wonder who bought it? If it was anybody here or at 500k?
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 am

No way I'd spend that much on a beta that seems to be available for download here.

400 or 500 maybe, but 2500, I'll pass.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:07 am

DEVILLE_David wrote: No way I'd spend that much on a beta that seems to be available for download here.

It's more then just being able to play it lol(most people would play a beta once, and then never again, so yea, It's so not about being able to play it), It's about the actual physical item, having a piece of history(and seeing how It's Shenmue we're talking about here, a damn major piece of history at that), and "one of" the holy grails to any fan of the series.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:26 am

Zoltor wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote: No way I'd spend that much on a beta that seems to be available for download here.

It's more then just being able to play it lol(most people would play a beta once, and then never again, so yea, It's so not about being able to play it), It's about the actual physical item, having a piece of history(and seeing how It's Shenmue we're talking about here, a damn major piece of history at that), and "one of" the holy grails to any fan of the series.

I know that feeling since I am collecting stuff. Just never thought It'd go for such a high price. A playable copy of the saturn version, I could understand, but not this one.

Grats to whoever had the budget for it tho !
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby James Brown » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:59 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

I know that feeling since I am collecting stuff. Just never thought It'd go for such a high price. A playable copy of the saturn version, I could understand, but not this one.

Yeah I agree, the end price actually really shocked me!

Just worried we may never see it again now...would have liked someone to have won it from the Dojo, and put a burnable version up for us all to try :), we'll see what happens!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:20 pm

I bet the person is a member of the Dojo. Maybe not an active member and more like a lurker, but still somehow part of the community. After all who that relates to Shenmue isn't part of the Dojo, when even people who actually worked on the game have accounts here? :D

But now, having the person share his $2550 piece of memorabilia with the rest of us is a different story, as I'm not sure he/she will be willing to do so.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:24 pm

James Brown wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Just worried we may never see it again now...would have liked someone to have won it from the Dojo, and put a burnable version up for us all to try :), we'll see what happens!

I figured in a ideal time span, it would get that, if not more, but what's surprising, is that any Shenmue fan would have that kind of money to spend, after the whole KS thing(and now the Paypal option), this is definitely the most expensive year to be a console gamer in general, but if you're a Shenmue fan, odds are, you're already broke(any broker, we would probally end up homeless.

Nevermind the fact XMAS is around the corner.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 am

Zoltor wrote:
James Brown wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

I figured in a ideal time span, it would get that, if not more, but what's surprising, is that any Shenmue fan would have that kind of money to spend, after the whole KS thing(and now the Paypal option), this is definitely the most expensive year to be a console gamer in general, but if you're a Shenmue fan, odds are, you're already broke(any broker, we would probally end up homeless.

Nevermind the fact XMAS is around the corner.

I'm almost absolutely sure this beta is the same as the Shendream release.

He has one more beta that is different, newer, and lacks a debug menu. Although, I could easily add the debug menu at this point.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby iyapol » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:53 am

Sold for $2,550!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:57 pm

I really hope whoever bought the GD-Rs will back up the data from the discs, for his own sake at least. Recordable media like DVD-Rs and GD-Rs use a dye that changes color or reflectivity when heated. There are many different type of dyes used in the industry, so they do not all have the same life expectancy.

But in short, GD-Rs will deteriorate over time and at a much faster rate than pressed Dreamcast games, specially in the case of the Shenmue beta discs sold in the auction as they already have scratches and scuffs, plus they have been labeled with what appears to be a marker-pen which solvents can slowly penetrate the reflective backing and dye layers, destroying the data as time goes by.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Himuro
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Shenmue