Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Suzuki's biggest blunders in Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:42 pm

Verderame wrote:-You have to scroll back to the beginning all the notebook pages everytime you need to read the telephone numbers you need

You can go back to the first page by pressing up on the d-pad and likewise jump to the end by pressing down.
They definately put thought into this.

I have all kinds of minor nitpicks of what could be improved, especially when comparing Shenmue and Shenmue II but there is not much that's really wrong. In terms of gameplay it's really just the usefulness or rather the lack of it when it comes to the snacks.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby iyapol » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:13 pm

- The complete and utter pointlessness of buying food. A complete waste of money. Dried squid, anyone?

- Not being able to win actual money on the slot machines. No. You cannot store my chips for me.

- No capsule toy inventory or any real purpose of collecting capsule toys. In Yu's defence, Shenmue was in the pre-achievement days.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:16 pm

iyapol wrote: - The complete and utter pointlessness of buying food. A complete waste of money. Dried squid, anyone?

- Not being able to win actual money on the slot machines. No. You cannot store my chips for me.

- No capsule toy inventory or any real purpose of collecting capsule toys. In Yu's defence, Shenmue was in the pre-achievement days.

You can feed the squid legs to the kitten.

Completely agree with the slot machine issue, though I explained why this choice might have been made in this post

Collecting capsule toys was pretty cool, albeit relatively pointless outside of collecting them, though they completely sorted this in Shenmue II by giving the player a collection inventory and the ability to pawn toys.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby iyapol » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:46 am

ShenGCH wrote:
iyapol wrote: - The complete and utter pointlessness of buying food. A complete waste of money. Dried squid, anyone?

Completely agree with the slot machine issue, though I explained why this choice might have been made in this post

Collecting capsule toys was pretty cool, albeit relatively pointless outside of collecting them, though they completely sorted this in Shenmue II by giving the player a collection inventory and the ability to pawn toys.

I think you've just highlighted another one - feeding the kitten!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:17 pm

iyapol wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

Well, it's completely optional (barring the very first interaction), so it isn't really a blunder. Besides, who doesn't love kittens?

...you do love kittens, right? :|
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:57 pm

This seems silly but it has always bugged me. In Shenmue 1 you can't manually climb steps. You move toward them and Ryo automatically climbs up or down, which makes it a pain if change your mind and want to turn around because you have to wait for the animation to finish.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby iyapol » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:19 am

ShenGCH wrote:
iyapol wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

Well, it's completely optional (barring the very first interaction), so it isn't really a blunder. Besides, who doesn't love kittens?

...you do love kittens, right? :|

I'd say it's a blunder in the sense that you're guilt tripped into feeding and caring for it but, in reality, there are no repercussions if you decide to completely ignore it and let it starve!

Tamagotchis were huge in the 90's. A Tamagotchi-style caring, feeding, playing side game would have been a nice addition.

There could have been a good cat ending - goes to a good home - and a bad cat ending - starves to death!

: )
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:04 am

Not the QTEs, but the way the QTEs were handled in Shenmue 1 was pretty bad. In Shenmue 2, It's perfect, and all makes sense, but in Shenmue 1, there's way too many QTEs in spots that would've made more sense, to have a real fight.

Now what makes matters even worse, is that there are almost no real fights, until you're getting close to the ending. It would be one thing, if all the QTEs in Shenmue 1 made sense to be QTEs(aka, Ryo being caught by surprise, thus it would make sense for the interaction, to be QTE based), but they don't.

That's probally my biggest problem with Shenmue 1.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Showing move instructions on the VMU only after you've already executed the move properly.

I mean, what's the point of showing it there, when you just got it down? As anyone would've forgotten already when they keep on practicing. I mean it's nice and all that you can look it up again but it would've been a better idea to already show it there when it's time to do the move?

It would've been a great little aid on top of the verbal instructions to remind you what actions you have to perform.
Since it doesn't display anything on the TV, it wouldn't break the immersion there. And if you're really stumped, you could just look down on the controller.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:43 pm

I buy dry squid because it's cheaper than the cat food at Tomato mart. It also comes with the option to do a raffle I think. I don't remember.

I wish there were a point to buy soda and food (like chips) besides prizes. I mean, prizes is a good enough reason at it is but seeing a bunch of uneaten potato chips in my menu always looks a little funny.

I also wish you could buy in bulk.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 pm

Himuro wrote: I buy dry squid because it's cheaper than the cat food at Tomato mart. It also comes with the option to do a raffle I think. I don't remember.

I wish there were a point to buy soda and food (like chips) besides prizes. I mean, prizes is a good enough reason at it is but seeing a bunch of uneaten potato chips in my menu always looks a little funny.

I also wish you could buy in bulk.

Yeah, there isn't really a 'point' to buying food items outside of the realism factor, despite there not even being a pay-off. At least with buying drinks, Ryo actually consumes them, but food items become nothing more than an inventory hog.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:11 am

Well it does make Ryo look like an obsessive type with a thing for potato chips and chocolate. If only he had sense and kept that food and sold it in the street of Hong Kong for extra cash. But noooo, probably wouldn't let go of his "food collection." Fucking nerd.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 pm

Himuro wrote: Well it does make Ryo look like an obsessive type with a thing for potato chips and chocolate. If only he had sense and kept that food and sold it in the street of Hong Kong for extra cash. But noooo, probably wouldn't let go of his "food collection." Fucking nerd.

Must've gotten hungry on the way to Hong Kong.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:42 am

Himuro wrote:But noooo, probably wouldn't let go of his "food collection." Fucking nerd.

Especially since he bought merchandise! I wouldn't let go of such stuff either. :lol:

It's sad that they don't stay in Ryo's inventory for Shenmue II. It could've led to some hilarious situations.

Ryo: Hey, um, odd stranger girl from the wildest depths of China.
Shenhua: What?
Ryo: Even though I've never seen you before, you look familiar.
Shenhua: How comes? You aren't thinking about kittens, are you?
Ryo: No, I... I have this bag of potato chips from Japan. And there's a picture of you on it.
Shenhua: No way, let me see that! *grabs the bag, looks at it with a totally puzzled face*
Ryo: See? It's a perfect match. Here, I have chocolate and caramel bars with the same picture of you too.
Shenhua: ...
Ryo: In fact, I have dozens of these in my backpack.
Shenhua: Um... Excuse me but I gotta get at least a country distance between us again. You're giving me the creeps.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Switch
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 am

BlueMue wrote:
Himuro wrote:But noooo, probably wouldn't let go of his "food collection." Fucking nerd.

Especially since he bought merchandise! I wouldn't let go of such stuff either. :lol:

It's sad that they don't stay in Ryo's inventory for Shenmue II. It could've led to some hilarious situations.

Ryo: Hey, um, odd stranger girl from the wildest depths of China.
Shenhua: What?
Ryo: Even though I've never seen you before, you look familiar.
Shenhua: How comes? You aren't thinking about kittens, are you?
Ryo: No, I... I have this bag of potato chips from Japan. And there's a picture of you on it.
Shenhua: No way, let me see that! *grabs the bag, looks at it with a totally puzzled face*
Ryo: See? It's a perfect match. Here, I have chocolate and caramel bars with the same picture of you too.
Shenhua: ...
Ryo: In fact, I have dozens of these in my backpack.
Shenhua: Um... Excuse me but I gotta get at least a country distance between us again. You're giving me the creeps.

Lol yea, it would definitely make Ryo seem like a creepy stalker, not like many other things he have done, doesn't already make him seem like a creepy stalker, but still.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue