Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby johnvivant » Thu May 14, 2015 4:12 am

i don't remember ever seeing this mentioned before, but there is a non-named npc of Mao Zedong in shenmue 2. he appears in several locations. i first noticed him at the arm wrestling place in Aberdeen (behind kaihou transport - near entrance to workers pier). he is sitting right at the first table facing you as you enter the area - he is wearing green cultural revolution style clothing. he is also in the crowd cheering at the wild man street fight on Beverley hills wharf. he is also sitting having tea at marvelous tea house (1st floor tea break building) in kowloon.

i'm sure its mao zedong because he even has the mole on his chin.
you can't speak to him he is just a generic non named ncp.

edit
it looks like he is in many locations throughout the game, i've just seen him in mahjong parlour thirteen wonders dancing dragon building, sixth floor.
also he is a spectator at the acrobat street fight thousand white qrt.
if i see any more i'll make a note.

edit
he is also a spectator at the greg fight and iron thrust street fight.
Last edited by johnvivant on Sat May 16, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Brosauce » Thu May 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Giorgio wrote: Playing Shenmue II, for the second time in my life: Whoa, I didn't know that. You can choose to not wait for the scout and proceed to the dungeons, reaching finally that locked door. Ryo tries to open it, Ren comes and Ryo is like "Oh, it's you..."; then the usual happens, with Wong unlocking it etc.

Could you kindly explain what you mean by this? How exactly do you not wait for the Scout and proceed? Is there a trick or something or a easy mishap you did not realise before?
Brosauce
Banned
Banned

PSN: Playstation Network
XBL: Xbox Live
Nintendo FC: Nintendo Network
Steam: Steam ID
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Education

Postby BlueMue » Thu May 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Brosauce wrote:How exactly do you not wait for the Scout and proceed?

It really can't get any easier and more obvious. Just don't chose to wait in the underground and go on yourself.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Brosauce » Thu May 14, 2015 4:03 pm

BlueMue wrote:
Brosauce wrote:How exactly do you not wait for the Scout and proceed?

It really can't get any easier and more obvious. Just don't chose to wait in the underground and go on yourself.

Oh I get you. That's pretty cool and unusual as I've always had myself wait for him because I didin't know you could bypass. Mabye speedrunners choose this option? Seeing as the Scout cutscene is skipped right?
Brosauce
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Thu May 14, 2015 7:37 pm

johnvivant wrote: i don't remember ever seeing this mentioned before, but there is a non-named npc of Mao Zedong in shenmue 2. he appears in several locations. i first noticed him at the arm wrestling place in Aberdeen (behind kaihou transport - near entrance to workers pier). he is sitting right at the first table facing you as you enter the area - he is wearing green cultural revolution style clothing. he is also in the crowd cheering at the wild man street fight on Beverley hills wharf. he is also sitting having tea at marvelous tea house (1st floor tea break building) in kowloon.

i'm sure its mao zedong because he even has the mole on his chin.
you can't speak to him he is just a generic non named ncp.

edit
it looks like he is in many locations throughout the game, i've just seen him in mahjong parlour thirteen wonders dancing dragon building, sixth floor.
also he is a spectator at the acrobat street fight thousand white qrt.
if i see any more i'll make a note.

Interesting, could you get a picture?
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby johnvivant » Sat May 16, 2015 10:14 am

if you go to the fortune teller (mind reading fortune, dancing dragon) to find out your lucky number on the morning when you are supposed to meet the scout in the basement of thousand white, she tells you that the direction in Ren and the lucky number is 0. i actually went to the slot house to make sure there wasn't a 0 numbered machine - there isn't. does this just happen occasionaly or is it specific to this moment in the game?

Supa:
don't have any way to get a photo of Mao Zedong. maybe bluemue could make a video of it, otherwise i will try later.
i'm sure everyone has seen him but just did not recognize who he was supposed to be.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Sat May 16, 2015 1:41 pm

Did someone just call me in for duty?

Personally never noticed this NPC that much. Looked like an average guy to me. Never considered his appearence to be something special. There definately are similarties though.

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: johnvivant, Supa
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Brosauce » Sat May 16, 2015 1:58 pm

Intresting beyond belief. Who is he? A president?
Brosauce
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao_Zedong

Interesting. I did a quick look at Miles' character database and didn't find this guy on first glance.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Mon May 18, 2015 6:05 am

Someone should definitely ask Suzuki about this the next chance they get.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby johnvivant » Mon May 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Brosauce wrote: Intresting beyond belief. Who is he? A president?

he was a big 'cult of personality' leader of china in the 20th century.

this is maybe shenmue's version of 'Where's Wally?' except its 'Where's Chairman Mao?'

I'll offer a prize for anyone who can spot him in Guilin....
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sat May 23, 2015 11:26 pm

Damn. Since I am in the Yellow Head Building, I decided to keep an eye out for one of those guns I remember reading about in the old Kowloon Room Raid topic. I didnt realise it was an actual gun lol!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Giorgio » Sun May 24, 2015 11:22 am

Today I finished Shenmue II for the 2nd time in my life. (After 12 years.)

The story goes on...

For some reason I missed the scene with Shenhua levitating the dandelions. - Shenhua was kept mentioning an old lady at Bailu Village that knows a lot; she even said that she may know about Lan Di. Seems Ryo will meet her in Shenmue III... - It really gets magical at the end. And the forests, so beautiful! I enjoyed a lot talking with Shenhua. I hope Shenmue III's experience will be similar.

My most favourite moment is when Ryo founds herbs while walking and tells Shenhua about that. He picks them up and gives them to Shenhua; she is very grateful, to the point that she tries to give a kiss to Ryo! :heart: So adorable and cute. However, Ryo makes an uncomfortable facial expression, stands back and then says that they better move on. Shenhua follows him and giggles cutely for a moment. Haha. - She is definitely the future love interest of Ryo. After all, at some point Ryo mentions about the girl he is seeing in his dreams, during a discussion (I think) with Fangmei about love (or something similar).
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby sand4fish » Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 pm

Giorgio wrote: Today I finished Shenmue II for the 2nd time in my life. (After 12 years.)

The story goes on...

For some reason I missed the scene with Shenhua levitating the dandelions. - Shenhua was kept mentioning an old lady at Bailu Village that knows a lot; she even said that she may know about Lan Di. Seems Ryo will meet her in Shenmue III... - It really gets magical at the end. And the forests, so beautiful! I enjoyed a lot talking with Shenhua. I hope Shenmue III's experience will be similar.

My most favourite moment is when Ryo founds herbs while walking and tells Shenhua about that. He picks them up and gives them to Shenhua; she is very grateful, to the point that she tries to give a kiss to Ryo! :heart: So adorable and cute. However, Ryo makes an uncomfortable facial expression, stands back and then says that they better move on. Shenhua follows him and giggles cutely for a moment. Haha. - She is definitely the future love interest of Ryo. After all, at some point Ryo mentions about the girl he is seeing in his dreams, during a discussion (I think) with Fangmei about love (or something similar).

Those quieter moments in Guilin were some of my favorite moments in Shenmue 2 too!!! I played the game in last December and I am still mesmerized by how beautiful the game looks even by today's standards.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Giorgio wrote: Today I finished Shenmue II for the 2nd time in my life. (After 12 years.)

The story goes on...

This track is exceptional:
phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue