Lets Talk Shenmue HD

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Lets Talk Shenmue HD

Postby Karimov » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:57 am

Himuro wrote:
Anonymous81 wrote: Wait... there was also a rumored Skies of Arcadia HD!?

Don't do that to me! You don't understand! Lol. I want that ALMOST as much as Shenmue 3!

They were working on it/it was in the pipeline but was dropped due to DC hd ports bombing.

yeah but wtf do you expect people buying a gimmick game such as freaking bass fishing and space channel. and that sonic adventure was allready whored out back in the day ion gamecube and even some games on ps2.

shenmue and skies would v sold very well. this only shows how mental dumb ass sega is and was. they think like oh they dont want sega games. but they should think oh they dont want bass fishing and space channel. very retarded way of thinking. and because of that no skies and shen HD
Karimov
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Elders scroll online

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:46 am

If I'm not mistaken it was the poor sales of Jet Set Radio that really blew it.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:17 am

south carmain wrote: If I'm not mistaken it was the poor sales of Jet Set Radio that really blew it.

A short-sighted move on SEGA's part if true. Digital download games are "ever green" games that ideally return a continual profit over the long run. It's especially useful if you have several you can either sell in a bundle or individually.

JSR has sold over 1.65 million on PC alone according to SteamSpy data. Even if it was *always* sold at the current sale price of $3.99, and with Valve's 30% cut taken out, they've still made over $4.6 million in revenue.

It's actually the best selling of the JSR/Sonic Adventure 2/NiGHTS batch of "SEGA Heritage Collection" games, on PC at least.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Karimov » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:15 am

Spaghetti wrote:
south carmain wrote: If I'm not mistaken it was the poor sales of Jet Set Radio that really blew it.

A short-sighted move on SEGA's part if true. Digital download games are "ever green" games that ideally return a continual profit over the long run. It's especially useful if you have several you can either sell in a bundle or individually.

JSR has sold over 1.65 million on PC alone according to SteamSpy data. Even if it was *always* sold at the current sale price of $3.99, and with Valve's 30% cut taken out, they've still made over $4.6 million in revenue.

It's actually the best selling of the JSR/Sonic Adventure 2/NiGHTS batch of "SEGA Heritage Collection" games, on PC at least.

sega is a shitt company that spectates to long before making plans. look at mobile gaming. they started it when it was becoming shovelware and now they know that mobile gamong is shizz they want to give console the chance also late call. and the fans just speak loud
streets of rage 4
a proper altered beast and golden axe
and so forth.

they are so out of sync that sometimes i just can not comprehend
Karimov
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: Elders scroll online

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Himuro wrote:

Don't do that to me! You don't understand! Lol. I want that ALMOST as much as Shenmue 3!

They were working on it/it was in the pipeline but was dropped due to DC hd ports bombing.

Ah. :(

Can we move to the alternate reality where Dreamcast was such an overwhelmingly popular system that HD ports of DC games were met with unprecedented sales?
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Monkei » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Himuro wrote:

They were working on it/it was in the pipeline

That was never officially confirmed though if I'm not mistaken..

Monkei has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:32 am

Monkei wrote:
Himuro wrote:

They were working on it/it was in the pipeline

That was never officially confirmed though if I'm not mistaken..

It was pretty much hinted at by Sega reps that the failure of JSR HD, made them reconsider their approach to HD re-releases in general.

A Sega rep flat out said that Skies of Arcadia HD was coming, and then JSR HD bombed. The project was probably scrapped after that. I'll try to find it tomorrow but as for tonight, I'm going to bed. I'm bushed.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Ziming » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:41 am

Himuro wrote:
It was pretty much hinted at by Sega reps that the failure of JSR HD, made them reconsider their approach to HD re-releases in general.

A Sega rep flat out said that Skies of Arcadia HD was coming, and then JSR HD bombed. The project was probably scrapped after that. I'll try to find it tomorrow but as for tonight, I'm going to bed. I'm bushed.

I think you are referring to former Sega digital brand manager Ben Harborne?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/benharborne

I remember Skies of Arcadia had it's trademark renewed that year.(2012) The NeoGAF user who revealed the licensing issues also told me they were in the midst of porting the game before it got canned. A damn shame!

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:02 am

I'm gonna have to get an HDMI modded Gamecube and replay Legends due to all this talk of Skies. Man I loved that game. I can still hear the Ixa'Taka theme in my head, and remember going down the slide lol.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Sappharad » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:33 pm

Spaghetti wrote:JSR has sold over 1.65 million on PC alone according to SteamSpy data. Even if it was *always* sold at the current sale price of $3.99, and with Valve's 30% cut taken out, they've still made over $4.6 million in revenue.

I'm guessing that more than half of those were from the Twitter promotion where they gave the game away for free. I bought it on PS3, but I have the PC version because of getting it free. One of my co-workers who hates the series for some reason also took advantage of the promotion to get a free copy.

RE: Skies of Arcadia, they had announced a PC Port way back in 2004 that got canned as well. Wikipedia has a link to an archived copy of Sega PC's Japanese upcoming releases page from 2004 referenced in the article.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Anonymous81 wrote: I'm gonna have to get an HDMI modded Gamecube and replay Legends due to all this talk of Skies. Man I loved that game. I can still hear the Ixa'Taka theme in my head, and remember going down the slide lol.

>>>> NullDC<<<

In 1080p native mode, Skies of Arcadia is still one of the best looking games of the world.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:21 pm

Sappharad wrote:I'm guessing that more than half of those were from the Twitter promotion where they gave the game away for free. I bought it on PS3, but I have the PC version because of getting it free. One of my co-workers who hates the series for some reason also took advantage of the promotion to get a free copy.

No way of knowing right now, unfortunately. The SteamSpy sales data only charts back to May 2016, and I'm unable to find anything further back than that. There was understandably a big player spike in Feb, but it's hard to divine sales data from that.

I don't really expect over half of those owner figures to have come from the free promotion, but even if 1 million of those ownerships came from giving it away free, SEGA have still made $1.6 million in revenue at the least on the PC version, with Valve's cut already calculated, and a $3.99 sale price point (so I'm low-balling the number pretty considerably).

Even having a quick peek at the iOS version's sales data (although I've got no idea about the margin of error), it seems to have made $31,000 in the last 30 days.

It's hard to know exactly why the SEGA Heritage Collection attempts were killed off so early, but it's important to note they released in the same year SEGA had it's huge panic about doubling down on core franchises like Sonic, Total War, Aliens, Football Manager, etc, because of a big loss coming their way in that year's financials.

The shrinking of the business was announced about half a year before the Heritage Collection games released, and it may be possible that the initiative was killed off irregardless of any sales data because SEGA were desperate to climb out of the Red at that point, and anything that wasn't in their core profitability plan was considered a risk and halted.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Youre forgetting that JSR has been on sale on pc a shit ton of times too. I got it for less than a dollar on steam.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Anonymous81 wrote: I'm gonna have to get an HDMI modded Gamecube and replay Legends due to all this talk of Skies. Man I loved that game. I can still hear the Ixa'Taka theme in my head, and remember going down the slide lol.

>>>> NullDC<<<

In 1080p native mode, Skies of Arcadia is still one of the best looking games of the world.

He can play the GC version emulated in Dolphin.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:02 pm

Ziming wrote:
Himuro wrote:

I think you are referring to former Sega digital brand manager Ben Harborne?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/benharborne

I remember Skies of Arcadia had it's trademark renewed that year.(2012) The NeoGAF user who revealed the licensing issues also told me they were in the midst of porting the game before it got canned. A damn shame!

phpBB [video]

Yup I am and I believe we got the same message from the same user.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue