What's Shenmue hacking... Where to start?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

What's Shenmue hacking... Where to start?

Postby Miles McCloud » Tue May 27, 2003 7:41 pm

Just finsihed downlaoding and burning What's Shenmue. Haven't even played it yet and I'm already looking at ways to hack it :) .

I've only spent 10 minutes looking over the disc, here's the HUMANS.IDX
file.

l...AKSKAOKIASOUBOB_BUS_DOGAECHOEIIUENKIFKSMFLD1FLD9GJBFGJ

HFGOROGRKNHANAHDEIHIDEHIRAHISAHRNOHRSKHTNKISYMITOIIZWAKA

ORKAYOKBSOKEBGKENIKIM_KJIYKJMAKNJIKOMNKONDKOTAKTROKUDOK

URIKYMAKYSNMAGOMARKMEGMMIHOMIKIMISMMKMRMNWAMRSKMRUAMS

TAMTRIMTUKMURAMURINGSMNITONOMRNORKONO_PAURRIKARNKTRYKO

SAKISATOSGRHSIMZSINDSKRDSNGASNKCSOBASONZSTAKSTP1SUMISY

KUTAENTAGWTJMATKNNTOM1TOM_TOSKTSUCTTYATURUUDGWYASUYAYI

YBBAYJIHYJJIYKDMYMGCYOB1YOB2YOHIYOPAYOSEYSKTYUKKYURI

Not quite as orderly as the one in Shenmue II, but at least the stuff in the AFS is appropriatly named. Tom has two models?

There's also a file named "REN_B.MT5" in the model directory, which I find odd.

I'm off to play this bad boy now, if anyone can point me to a good tutorial for re-burning selfbooting DC games I'd be greatfull.
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: What's Shenmue hacking... Where to start?

Postby LanDC » Tue May 27, 2003 8:10 pm

Yeah, i'd kind of like to hack it SOME GODDAMN DAY. but it seems my fucking PC is DEAD. i am using my bro's right now. god damn this. ANYWAY, im sure i will be able to walk around in mr. yukawa's office, and no telling what else. and that REN_B.MT5 thing interest me too, its also in shenmue 1. i am pretty sure that the XXX_B.mt5s are the fighting blurs of the characters.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Miles McCloud » Tue May 27, 2003 10:55 pm

There's a alot of fighting blurs on the What's Shenmue disc consideraing there are no fights o.o.

Heres a screenshot of HWW (the unused Shenmue II model that's oddly in What's Shenmue)
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Bambi » Tue May 27, 2003 11:13 pm

Neat I wonder why she was removed?
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 28, 2003 1:54 am

I have played through the import version of Shenmue 1 and I dont remember seeing her in the mix of people
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Gongjue » Wed May 28, 2003 2:27 am

where did you end up finding it at?
Gongjue
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby nuts_to_that » Wed May 28, 2003 2:30 am

I don't remember seeing her in the Japanese version of Shenmue either. I guess she wasn't in any of the games, unless she was in Shenmue II.
nuts_to_that
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Miles Prower » Wed May 28, 2003 3:51 am

Neat-o. Mr. McCloud, is it true that Izumi is one of the people stopping you from leaving Dobuita?
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yenaphe » Wed May 28, 2003 8:32 am

The strange thing about the english woman is that, when ryo says "shenmue" you can see a sequence with heads of important shenmue characters fading in & out (just before president of sega wake up) and she appears in tha thing too..
Yenaphe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mikec_ct » Wed May 28, 2003 9:27 am

Yenaphe wrote:The strange thing about the english woman is that, when ryo says "shenmue" you can see a sequence with heads of important shenmue characters fading in & out (just before president of sega wake up) and she appears in tha thing too..

Well, they're not all important. You'd think that would be the reason for putting them in, but look again and it isn't really.

I noticed that woman as well, it was funny how she only speaks English, not just broken Japanese like Tom and that darts hustler from Shenmue 2.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles McCloud » Wed May 28, 2003 10:14 am

Yep, Izumi is one of the blockers. Her model is considerably less detailed than her Shenmue II counterpart, but you can tell it's her. Next time I play I'll take a picture. I found HWW walking through dobuita from the Bus Stop direction at around 3:00 (Shenmue time of course).
Miles McCloud
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Veteah » Wed May 28, 2003 11:28 am

Sorry to sound n00bish but whats a blocker and how does it stop you from leaving Dobuita?
Veteah
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Miles Prower » Wed May 28, 2003 12:18 pm

Viper 250 wrote:Sorry to sound n00bish but whats a blocker and how does it stop you from leaving Dobuita?

Basically in What's Shenmue you can only explore a small secrion of Dobuita, and there are these chalked lines marking where you can't pass, and there are NPC's guarding these who basically tell you you can't go any further. I haven't played it but I've seen shots...I think the other "blockers" include a harbor security guard and Midori Aizawa(the female shopkeeper at Water Dragon)
Mr. McCloud, did you happen to notice that Shinkichi-san and Itoi-san look completely different? They look really strange, Itoi-san looks younger and Shinkichi looks considerably less ugly :P
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Silas » Wed May 28, 2003 1:29 pm

This ties up neatly with an earlier question - if these characters look different, my guess is that HWW is someone else, too.

Being a Western woman with red hair leads me to think that maybe she's an early design for Eileen. (She couldn't be Joy, could she!?)
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mikec_ct » Wed May 28, 2003 4:44 pm

Silas: I doubt she was an early design for Joy. If you look on the Dreamcast Shenmue 2 disks on your PC and check out the character sketches (I forget which of the 4 disks it's on), Joy always looked similar to how she does now, just with different clothes and hair color.
mikec_ct
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue