Ryo's Real teacher?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Ryo's Real teacher?

Postby Terra Ryzing » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:59 pm

I was playing through Shenmue today and came across a very interesting piece of dialogue with Ine-San the morning after you learn of the Tattoo parlor on Disc one.

Apparently I was under the impression that Ryo's father Iwao was his only martial arts teacher since it's a Hazuki Tradition, however Ine-San mentioned that a "karate instructor" (specifically karate and not Jujitsu) by the name of Nonaka-san had called and said something along the lines of Ryo missing MA practice and that he would like him to show up more often to Karate school. This is really confusing as not only that but she said that Ryo's teachers had been calling him to talk about how they're worried about him...

This seemed to happen to me if you constantly stay out past curfew, although I'm not sure if it might come across as standard 'chit-chat'. I suppose this would explain the trophies in Ryo's closet if he had been competing in Karate tournaments with the institute, but I was always (as I'm sure most of you are) under the assumption that Iwao was Ryo's only Sensei since I'm sure his Jujitsu training would eat up alot of time for this new Karate training.

Just an interesting piece I thought I would share with you guys. I'm not sure if Nonaka-san has a profile or has ever been mentioned in previous discussions.
Terra Ryzing
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SpringChick » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:17 pm

Hm, this is new to me. I just assumed those trophies came from tournaments or something, but with Iwao as his only teacher. Be interesting to see what others have to say about it.
SpringChick
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Ryo's Real teacher?

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:44 pm

Terra Ryzing wrote:I was playing through Shenmue today and came across a very interesting piece of dialogue with Ine-San the morning after you learn of the Tattoo parlor on Disc one.

Apparently I was under the impression that Ryo's father Iwao was his only martial arts teacher since it's a Hazuki Tradition, however Ine-San mentioned that a "karate instructor" (specifically karate and not Jujitsu) by the name of Nonaka-san had called and said something along the lines of Ryo missing MA practice and that he would like him to show up more often to Karate school. This is really confusing as not only that but she said that Ryo's teachers had been calling him to talk about how they're worried about him...

This seemed to happen to me if you constantly stay out past curfew, although I'm not sure if it might come across as standard 'chit-chat'. I suppose this would explain the trophies in Ryo's closet if he had been competing in Karate tournaments with the institute, but I was always (as I'm sure most of you are) under the assumption that Iwao was Ryo's only Sensei since I'm sure his Jujitsu training would eat up alot of time for this new Karate training.

Just an interesting piece I thought I would share with you guys. I'm not sure if Nonaka-san has a profile or has ever been mentioned in previous discussions.

Nonaka-sensei is the instructor of the Karate club in his high school. Ryo belongs to
that club, as that's the only martial-arts club in his high school, most likely.

That scene is triggered just once while you're looking for the tattoo parlor, I believe.

Anyway, Ryo mentions Karate once more when he meets Nozomi outside the tattoo
parlor, saying that he's considering going to a university which has a Karate course.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 am

I got that conversation too, a few years ago. Except I believe it was towards the end of the game during the time you have in between Ryo getting fired from his job, and meeting Tom at the Hot Dog truck for lunch.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Hadoken Hazuki wrote:I got that conversation too, a few years ago. Except I believe it was towards the end of the game during the time you have in between Ryo getting fired from his job, and meeting Tom at the Hot Dog truck for lunch.

Are you sure about the timing you had that conversation? :?

I always have the same conversation with Ine-san in between Ryo getting fired and meeting Tom.
Ine-san asks Ryo what happened in "that night," which is a bit strange as it's just the previous night
when Nozomi was kidnapped. And, Ine-san finally becomes understanding about his revenge, saying
something like "I know you since you were 3 years old." It's a remarkable conversation really.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:43 am

I guess I can't be absolutley certain that it was at that point in the game, as I have only heard it once, and that was about 2 years ago. But since then I had always thought of the conversation being at that point. However, I have also gotten the conversation you're referring to, at the same point in the game. So maybe I decided to talk to Ine-San again, after hearing the conversation you're talking about, and got the one about Nonaka-san.

On the other hand, I could be wrong and heard it during the Tattoo parlour section of the game. :)
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:52 am

Nice 'find'. I've started Shenmue again recently, so I'll be sure to play for that scene.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby ShenmueAddict » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:49 am

Same here i just started a new game on shenmue 1 , so i think ill try get that never heard of it before ( i dont usually talk to ine-san that much)
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: Patrickingham2
Currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Postby Giony » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:58 pm

why is he interested in a karate school if his style is jujitsu?
Giony
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Terra Ryzing » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:28 pm

Giony wrote:why is he interested in a karate school if his style is jujitsu?

Ryo is known to cross train between Jujitsu, Kung-Fu, and Karate. He seems to blend alot of the useful techniques together in his "style".
Terra Ryzing
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Virtua Hazuki » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:40 pm

Its amazing how Shenmue can still surprise you with new scenes, even after so many years. I'll have to check this out next time I play Shenmue I.
Virtua Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:25 pm

Never run across this scene. Very nice. Thanks for the heads up.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby BayStone » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:28 am

Damn.... news to me. Very, very interesting.

* goes and makes a note. *
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Visual Memory » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:25 pm

It's got nothing to do with the curfew. I never cared too much about that conversation, actually.
Visual Memory
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KiBa » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:30 am

Thanks, Terra.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Next

Return to Shenmue