Game script?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Game script?

Postby hellfirebg » Tue May 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Hello everyone!

I recently got back from a trip to Japan where I bought a DC and Shenmue. I've been learning Japanese for 2 years now and the kodomo (child) mode from the oprions menu of the Japanese version really makes it easier for me to play the game but there's still plenty of stuff I don't quite understand. That's why I'm searching for the game script, regardless if it's in english or japanese, I just need either one in order to fully experience this wonderful game.

I did a search on google, but all I got was the game script of Shenmue II, which I have yet to purchase.

Could any of you aid a fellow shenmue fan in his search for the game script? Thanks a bunch in advance!
hellfirebg
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Re: Game script?

Postby Kiyuu » Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 am

hellfirebg wrote:Hello everyone!

I recently got back from a trip to Japan where I bought a DC and Shenmue. I've been learning Japanese for 2 years now and the kodomo (child) mode from the oprions menu of the Japanese version really makes it easier for me to play the game but there's still plenty of stuff I don't quite understand. That's why I'm searching for the game script, regardless if it's in english or japanese, I just need either one in order to fully experience this wonderful game.

I did a search on google, but all I got was the game script of Shenmue II, which I have yet to purchase.

Could any of you aid a fellow shenmue fan in his search for the game script? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Welcome to the Dojo! I'm glad to know you're trying to play the Japanese version. :)
Do you mean you've never played Shenmue before? I've never heard of any script for
Shenmue, unfortunately. But, have you heard of "US Shenmue" that looks like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-SHENMUE-SEGA-DRE ... .m20.l1116

It's the English voiced Shenmue with Japanese/English subtitles for the Japanese DC,
though there's no "kodomo mode" with it. Isn't it easier for you to check the English
version whenever you need a help by playing the exact part of the game with the file
of the Japanese version you've just saved in your VMU? I hope you wouldn't mind
the extra spending on "US Shenmue" and enjoy the amazing world of Shenmue fully!

BTW, I've never used the "kodomo mode" for playing Shenmue, as I'm Japanese. ;)
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby hellfirebg » Wed May 06, 2009 5:25 am

Hi there and thanks for the reply!

Well, I've decided that I should exercise my Japanese whenever I have free time, as I'm firm on studying at a Japanese university when I finish high school. And what better way to practice than while I'm having fun ^^. So that is why I started playing japanese video games with the help of a Japanese/English game script of the game whenever I experience difficulties with the language. I have already done so with final fantasy 9 whose script I came across here : http://web.archive.org/web/200406030046 ... d_top.html and the English one which is available here http://www.ffwa.org/ff9/script.php?page=d2-03

I did the same search for Shenmue but I failed to obtain the script. Usually the script is extracted by the work of fans who love the game and do this out of their own free will, without getting paid for it. Shenmue is a pretty popular game in Japan so I thought that the script of the game would be included in a fansite or fan walkthrough or such but I didn't manage to find such a thing.

I'd like to thank you for the help you provided me with but unfortunately I do not own a credit card and therefore cannot shop at ebay or any other internet shopping site for that matter. My only option seems to be to obtain the game script. In Japanese I believe it's called 全台詞.

Anyway, I'm very happy that a Japanese person responded to my inquiry. ありがとう . ところで、英語が上手ですね!
hellfirebg
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 06, 2009 12:45 pm

A text dump would prove to be a rather difficult with a game such as Shenmue, since the sheer amount of text simply put would take a long time to compile and extract. Maybe LanDC or Hellraiser got so far with it? I've never seen a text dump for either of the Shenmue games, unfortunately. Maybe we would find some dialogue left out of the final product (like LanDC found with certain characters originally having larger roles than they ended up with)? People find all sorts of things when they hack into a game, for whatever reason.
Last edited by Henry Spencer on Wed May 06, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Razzmatazz » Wed May 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Interesting topic. I tried learning Japanese for two years with evening classes but a third year didn't have enough demand and I also had university to focus on so haven't kept up to speed with it. I have the PAL version of Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast however and this is pretty useful for picking up phrases and I do notice the words I know and match them with the subtitles.
I imagine someone making a note of every piece of key dialogue in the game is too much but maybe emailing the people who worked on the translation (English to Japanese) could help. There should be a credit for whoever worked on it in the manual / credits.
I would look at mine but I only have the discs with me (boxes are in the loft).
Razzmatazz
Asia Travel Representative

Postby hellfirebg » Fri May 08, 2009 2:50 pm

Good idea! I wonder if I'd be able to contact those people now, since the game is 9 years old, but there's still a chance that I might pull it off. Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is the script of Shenmue 2 - http://www.gamerhelp.com/xbox/ShenmueII/104400.shtml
hellfirebg
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri May 08, 2009 4:45 pm

That's a pretty thorough script..played the game so much I could hear the different characters saying the lines ;)
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby harris_t » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 am

What's the kodomo mode? Is that like furigana for subtitles?

EDIT: Oh, holy shit: http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/12/10/ ... r-friendly
Kid's Mode: Same as the Game Mode, except all Kanji appears as Hiragana, the Japanese alphabetic characters

That's perfect for me to learn Japanese.. advanced thanks several years later!

EDIT 2: Damn it! I forgot that I can't save immediately before every conversation in Shenmue I, you can only save in Ryo's bedroom.. and the emulator doesn't have save state capability yet. Fuck, any ideas? Can I rewind in nullDC? I guess I'll have to screenshot every conversation, study them and reload my save spot over and over until I can make it through the day or some shit.

Guess I'll get the bad ending in an honest way this time :D
MAn.. shenmue 3 you guys! HOLY FUCK.
harris_t

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:49 am

hellfirebg wrote: Hello everyone!

there's a child mode in the japanese version? what is it exactly?

edit: never mind :)
Last edited by drunkensailor on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:50 am

harris_t wrote: Fuck, any ideas? Can I rewind in nullDC?

Use Demul. You can quicksave there.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby wataro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:12 pm

***edit; delivered
https://mega.co.nz/#!1k1j3QBS!rBM7SLcHv ... G-V5rRotZk

still looking for JP scripts

I have the first 3 GDR scripts from shenmue one in English
Albeit a fue untranslated lines
They are from kogamis undub version
Its the text from the English ROM inserted into JP text files and then hacked into the ROM with JP voices
I'll assume that's what happened anyway.

You can get the scripts .zip files in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=46869

Can't remember where I'm on mobile now, but that's where I got them
Will upload when I'm home if you don't find them.

It would be nice if one of the modders could either rip the JP text files or let us know what tool was used to do it as I'd like the JP scripts too.

I have uploaded the full GDI rips of JP shenmue 1/2 here if anyone needs them

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=47695
wataro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Return to Shenmue