Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue Collections & Merchandise

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Over 10 years it took, but my collection is finally.... Finally complete. The unboxing I did live on episode 14 of the Dojos Shenmue 2 playthrough, which is on our YouTube channel.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: Bluecast, BlueMue, Mr357, Switch
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby RootyKazooty » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Deleted. (old ebay listings of Shenmue items)
Last edited by RootyKazooty on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RootyKazooty
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 pm

I briefly mentioned that I got some interesting "merchandise" heading my way during the last episode of Peter's Shenmue II stream and well, it finally arrived today.

I was looking for info and pictures on this machine from time to time but never found much solid stuff.
About 3 weeks ago I searched again and found some pictures that lead to an eBay auction that was still running. Naturally I didn't hesitate to buy this thing. It's about the nerdiest Shenmue thing to do but it is a cool item related to the game and a quite nice looking machine. Once I have everything up and running well and some more info I'll demonstrate the thing in a video.

BlueMue has received 6 thanks from: Coromasta, James Brown, Kiske, Mr357, RootyKazooty, Spaghetti
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:51 pm

You could reproduce the tapes from the game using extracted audio files. :lol:
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Used to see those exact ones pretty much everywhere as a kid. I have done stuff like this tho so to Blue from Blue. You're not alone in doing super nerd stuff. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby RootyKazooty » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:25 pm

BlueMue wrote: I briefly mentioned that I got some interesting "merchandise" heading my way during the last episode of Peter's Shenmue II stream and well, it finally arrived today.

That's right up my street. Very cool indeed. If I had one i'd do as LGS suggested and reproduce a tape from the game. What's the model number? i can't make it out.
RootyKazooty

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Is the Timex watch really worth that much? It doesn't seem to be official merchandise.

south carmain has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 am

RootyKazooty wrote:That's right up my street. Very cool indeed. If I had one i'd do as LGS suggested and reproduce a tape from the game. What's the model number? i can't make it out.

It's TRQ-298. Don't worry, I already made some plans what to do with it when I bought it. I fixed an issue with the play button and it runs pretty well for such an old machine that was advertised as untested.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: RootyKazooty
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RootyKazooty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm

BlueMue, thanks for the reply. My search begins.
If I find one with a faulty play button i'll be hassling you for advice!
RootyKazooty

Postby RootyKazooty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 pm

south carmain wrote:

Is the Timex watch really worth that much? It doesn't seem to be official merchandise.

It's definitely not worth anything like $350 to me. [-X Even if it wasn't scratched up.

Also it has that upside down and incorrect wording all around the ring on the front.
As I've said, there was a model produced with the correct writing on that ring.
For me this is the true Shenmue watch - the one the developers put in the game and obviously the most accurate looking. There's no point in me settling for another version because I'd still end up looking again.
For that reason I'm not at all interested in this ebay model, or the Ltd Edition Shenmue watch which has the same problem.

The "official merchandise" thing doesn't bother me. It's like if they brought out BluMue's Hitachi TRQ-298 after it had already been in production, but screwed up with wrong, upside-down wording, then slapped a Shenmue logo on it. I know which one I'd want.

I'm almost certain "my" watch was the early model and they later changed the wording, because I've seen a promo picture of the Ltd Edition watch. It showed a box with a picture of "my" watch on the front, albeit with "Shenmue" written on the dial.
Likely it was a mock-up using a stock picture, because the Ltd watch came in a completely different box.
Either they altered/photo-shopped it on, or there really is a Ltd Edition watch with the correct writing.
But every Ltd one I've seen has the alternative writing, so I doubt it.

Recently I've discovered that on the back of these watches there's a number on the bottom right strap pin brace. Interestingly (to me!) they differ. I've seen numbers 2, 3, 4, 5 and I think 6 (was hard to discern from pic).
The watch with number 2 was the same one I'm after. All the others had the alternative writing.
So it's likely these numbers relate to the manufacturing order.

Manufacturing order? WTF am I talking about.
I'm in too deep man.
I'm in way too deep.
Last edited by RootyKazooty on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
RootyKazooty

Postby BlueMue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:57 pm

If you can handle the droning commentary here's the video showing the tape recorder in action, including parts of the tape from the game.

phpBB [video]

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, RootyKazooty, Switch
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:34 pm

RootyKazooty wrote:
south carmain wrote:

It's definitely not worth anything like $350 to me. [-X Even if it wasn't scratched up.

Also it has that upside down and incorrect wording all around the ring on the front.
As I've said, there was a model produced with the correct writing on that ring.
For me this is the true Shenmue watch - the one the developers put in the game and obviously the most accurate looking. There's no point in me settling for another version because I'd still end up looking again.
For that reason I'm not at all interested in this ebay model, or the Ltd Edition Shenmue watch which has the same problem.

The "official merchandise" thing doesn't bother me. It's like if they brought out BluMue's Hitachi TRQ-298 after it had already been in production, but screwed up with wrong, upside-down wording, then slapped a Shenmue logo on it. I know which one I'd want.

I'm almost certain "my" watch was the early model and they later changed the wording, because I've seen a promo picture of the Ltd Edition watch. It showed a box with a picture of "my" watch on the front, albeit with "Shenmue" written on the dial.
Likely it was a mock-up using a stock picture, because the Ltd watch came in a completely different box.
Either they altered/photo-shopped it on, or there really is a Ltd Edition watch with the correct writing.
But every Ltd one I've seen has the alternative writing, so I doubt it.

Recently I've discovered that on the back of these watches there's a number stamped on the bottom right strap pin brace. Interestingly (to me!) they differ. I've seen numbers 2, 4 5 and 6.
The watch with number 2 was the same one I'm after. All the others had the alternative writing.
So it's likely these numbers relate to the manufacturing order.

Manufacturing order? WTF am I talking about.
I'm in too deep man.
I'm in way too deep.

Wow thanks for the info! Even I didn't know about the reverse text in the inner ring! I had an absolute heart attack when I read that, and jumped out of bed to dig out my watches. Indeed you are correct about the Official Shenmue Timex, with mine having the text incorrectly facing outwards. I also checked with David, PoL and a few others I know own the official watch and indeed they are all the same.

BUT, thankfully my standard Timex T43371 does have the correct writing so I guess I was lucky when I got it back in 2010.

As far as I know, the "Expedition" was removed due to licensing issues, and the developers couldn't get the date function to work correctly in game, hence why they were removed. So in theory, you legitimately cannot get an exact version of the in game watch. Even if I took the YS/Shenmue straps off my limited edition and put them on my regular T43371 face, the "Expedition" text and the date window will always remain.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: Mr357, OL, RootyKazooty
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby GameHacKeR » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:53 am

NICE! :D
GameHacKeR

Postby RootyKazooty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:44 am

@Peter. That's the one! The object of my hearts desire. :heart: =P~ :heart:

If possible, can you tell me the number stamped on the back of your Standard T43371 please?
(On the bottom right strap pin brace).

LOL Sorry for causing you a shock. You must have thought that your quest wasn't actually finished.
I knew you had the "correctly worded ring" version because there are hardly any pictures of it on the internet, and yours is by far the best image.
But the link I posted to it stopped working, so I had to use an inferior picture.
I'm glad you posted it. I love the white gloves, nice touch. (Can you clean the cue-ball please ref).

Considering you didn't realize about the reverse text, you have been very, very lucky indeed.
I initially thought the 2 different versions were split 50/50 but it's definitely not the case.
I've now seen 5 "reverse" versions for sale in the last 7 months, and zero of the correct one.

One other thing I've noticed from pictures is that the two crowns used for the "reverse" and "correct" ring versions seem different. With the latter being most accurate to the game, from what I can tell.
Last edited by RootyKazooty on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
RootyKazooty

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Haahaahaa thanks man. I just checked and yes, it has a 2 on the bottom right handle. That's such cool info, I'm glad you told us about it. :D
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue