Shenmue Timex watch

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue Timex watch

Postby elbien » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:14 am

yes the model Ryo´s watch is made after is the Timex T43371. Very rare. The white one many are refering to are not similar to the one in the game. But execly the same watch Ryo uses has never existed. On Ryo´s watch it says TIMEX. On T43371 it says TIMEX Expedition. On the metal bezel (ring) it´s more text on the t43371 than on Ryo´s. Still, the t43371 is the closest on there is and according to timex office, it IS the model for the watch in Shenmue. The watch with the Shenmue-text on it is both redicilous expensive and not similar to the one worn by Ryo. And, what i´ve heard, it is a cheaper copy of 43371. peace out
elbien
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: shenmue 1

Postby mue 26 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:02 pm

The white one many are refering to are not similar to the one in the game

Well, it is pretty similar to be honest. Aside from the colour, I can't actually notice any physical differences between it and the other model your talking about. Still, your dropped some nice knowledge in that post, not bad.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 pm

Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby elbien » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 am

The white watch T433914E does not have "indiglo alarm" printed/stamped on the bezel (metal ring). And IT IS WHITE;) I have been looking for T43371 for over 10 years. My habbit of checking ebay.com every week have found me 3 of them. The first many years ago didn´t ship to Sweden, the second 2 years ago I didn´t get be course I was drunk and missed the final bid:) The third I bought yesterday! :) I have been in contact with Timex HQ some years ago and been looking in every watch-shop I´ve come across in south east asia, but I think Ebay is the way to go.

Another almost-the-same-as-Ryo´s-watch is the Timex T47902. This watch has the "indiglo alarm" on the metal ring, but instead of the bell symbol over the WR 50 m, it has Indiglo over WR 50 m. The Timex T43371 has both the correct markings on the ring and the bell-symbol. Amazing how an over 10 years old game can make you an expert on timex watches from the mid 80´s:) Time for a beer, cheers!

Just noticed that Ryo doesn´t has the date on his watch:)

elbien has received a thanks from: mue 26
elbien
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby mue 26 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Haha, fair enough, we all have odd passions for one thing or another. So, is the T43371 actually considered a well made time telling piece too, or is it mostly just revered for it being Ryo's watch? And yeah I don't know why Ryo got gimped on the calender function, he could have used that! Congrats on getting your watch after so many years.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: elbien
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby wude » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:21 pm

If i remember well, the white version can be found in whats shenmue

wude has received a thanks from: Bluecast
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby elbien » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 am

I´ve only heard that the watch with "shenmue" on it is a cheaper copy of the real timex model 43371 on with it is based. I don´t know if it´s true. The 43371 only costed 25-30$ in the eighties so it´s not a very fancy watch.But I have found some old reviews for it thats says it is "very solid, never breaks, battery time over 5 years" etc. If I was not a shenmue-freak I woldn´t pay 10$ for it;)

In the jap version of "what´s shenmue" that I´ve watched the Timex is black. I don´t know if there are other versions of the demo. If you find it and the watch is white please let me know.
elbien
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby elbien » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Have to confess I didn't know that the"expedition" series from timex didn't existed before 1997! And I just called myself an expert. I have always taken for granted that ryo used a watch from the 80's and not from the future? The indiglo light didn't exist at shenmue's time either.
elbien
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Spokane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:33 pm

I think since he has waited such a long time for the third entry to the series Ryo should be given a Rolex for his time spent in that cave. He deserves it for waiting so long.

Thats one collectors item many here would not fork out the cash for. :lol:
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby mue 26 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 pm

elbien wrote: Have to confess I didn't know that the"expedition" series from timex didn't existed before 1997! And I just called myself an expert. I have always taken for granted that ryo used a watch from the 80's and not from the future? The indiglo light didn't exist at shenmue's time either.

Ah that makes a bit more sense. When you said it was from the 80's I thought that was a surprisingly authentic bit of product placement from Timex. It makes more sense commercially for it to have been a current model I guess, or maybe...time travel will factor into the story of Shenmue 3? Iwao hazuki was a time traveler!!

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: elbien, nskachu
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spokane » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Iwao going into the future would not be a jump the shark moment at all, considering what Shenmue Online was going to be and some of the supernatural stuff we saw at the end of the second.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby elbien » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 am

Hello. After over 10 years of searching the ebay every other week and many watch stores in the s.e.asia (where Timex watches are very common) I have finally got my Timex Expedition T43371! The exact model from witch Sega based the watch worned by Ryo. And the exactly same model as the Shenmue collectors watch, except with the word Expedition written on it instead of Shenmue. Its a very solid watch. Water and weatherproof and with over 5 years of battery time. Not a cheaply made watch as some has stated.
The thing is that two days after I won this watch on ebay I found another one. Also on ebay. Beeing one of few in the world that truly appreciate this watch I of course won that to:) So I´ll soon have two Timex Expedition T43371.
I´m not gonna were two watches at the same time be course it looks stupid so I´m willing to part from one of them.

If anyone is interested pm me for more info and pics (if you want to double check that the model T43371 is the right model, just google it and compare. Or search this forum.) If no one at shenmuedojo wants it it will be back at ebay.com but this time described as Ryo Hazuki´s watch from Shenmue 1 just to make it easier for the fans to find.
elbien
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Ziming wrote: Image

I want one :shock:
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Peter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:14 pm

:lol:

I take my collection a bit too seriously when i wear white gloves to display items.

Peter has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Mr.Din » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 pm

hearing that the watch came from the 90s doesn't surprise me too much, Sega saturns didn't exist in the 80s either :P
Mr.Din
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: DinSidd
XBL: DinSidd
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue