Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Chaikilla » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:53 am

Oh e_e

I heard that global travel agency closes down if Ryo has enough money to afford the plane ticket. That's why I was curious.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Ziming » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Adi Shankar the producer of the recent Castlevania animated series is a fan of Shenmue. It's his favorite game on Dreamcast. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3021774/

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: KiBa, Kiske
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby KiBa » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Nice!
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kiske » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:41 am

Guys, please vote for Shenmue in this Famitsu Weekly poll opened to celebrate the upcoming 1500th edition of the Weekly Famitsu magazine.

You can find comprehensive explanations on how to vote here (on Switch "Phantom River Stone" blog):
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... .html#more

The poll ends at midnight on July 18th (JST).

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Mr357, Switch
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:52 am

Only around 10 hours left to get your votes in, if you haven't already. Follow the quick guide on Switch's blog linked in Kiske's post above.

When they released interim results a week ago, Shenmue was somewhere in the top 19 games, out of every game ever, so the final rank could be impressively high if everyone takes a minute to do their bit before the deadline.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Kiske
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:00 am

I must have voted at least 4 times through 4 different internet providers. :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:35 am

:no: :whip: [-X
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:50 am

You can't blame me (yes he can!).
We are schizophrenic (no we are not!).
But we all love Shenmue (no we don't!).

SHUT UP!!!

Kiske has received a thanks from: Mr357
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Mr357 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:21 pm

The two motorcycle riding thugs who hang out in Dobuita have different seating positions at the arcade depending on whether you're playing the Japanese or US/EU version of the game.

Japanese

US/EU

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: Amir, BlueMue
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 am

Huh... For what reason, I wonder?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:31 am

Wow, there's something that flies over everyones head for sure. Very nice find and a very peculiar change.
Doesn't seem to be necessary at all.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Abraham_1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

Jibby wrote: Popular streamer Joel from Vinesauce is currently streaming Shenmue with 1166 viewers:
https://www.twitch.tv/vargskelethor

It seems that he's enjoying himself and giving Shenmue a pretty good first impression to a lot of people.

I have to say, I am loving his videos on Shenmue! It's great to see a first-time player with a huge fanbase (he has 450k subscribers on YouTube and over 100k Twitch followers) who 'gets' Shenmue, in terms of its atmosphere and immersion. Sure, there are a few things here and there like him hating the combat and not bothering to go into how in-depth it is, but that's fine.

And he gets that the game isn't perfect; he specifically stated from the outset how the voice acting is bad, but unlike some other people who have played Shenmue on YouTube or Twitch, he doesn't make those negatives the emphasis of the streams, to make cheap jokes and to capitalise on the game by making fun of it (which, admittedly, can be easy to do).

But what I love the most about these streams is seeing the chat. It really goes to show how influential the person playing the game is; if they put the game in a bad light like Funhaus, of course you're going to get the majority of comments being like this game is shit. However, from watching these streams with chat on Twitch, they seem to be really enjoying Shenmue too. They make plenty of jokes, but those jokes aren't making fun of the game itself and they even agreed with Joel when he said he loves Shenmue more than Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit etc, because of how immersive it is.

Sorry if this post is a couple of months later than the initial post I am quoting, but the playthrough is currently ongoing, with the last stream being 3 days ago, so thought it was still relevant in case anyone wants to check it out.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 pm

So I decided to seek out his Twitter account for info on his next live stream, and found a description of one from earlier in the week that sounds like the absolute zenith of gaming.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:31 pm

A Shenmue Facebook live stream resulted in some impressive numbers when I tested it out for the first time today. A 2 hour stream generated 5.8k views, reached nearly 18,000 people, 450+ likes, 65 shares, and 200+ user comments.

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Shendream
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Chaikilla » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:05 pm

I got inspired to fire up my Dreamcast again to play some Shenmue but the game kept randomly freezing on loading screens and occasionally when I opened the notebook. Getting through a day without this occurring was close to impossible so decided to calibrate the laser.

Unfortunately, the damned laser ribbon detached during this process and it seems impossible to reattach. That certainly killed my good mood. Maybe God knows the HD remakes are around the corner and he doesn't want me to spoil my appetite for them.
Chaikilla

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue