Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby yuc02 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Found a few videos on Bajiquan master Wu LianZhi and his association with Yu Suzuki

Part 1
phpBB [video]

Part 2 (watch the last few mins :))
phpBB [video]
yuc02
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:43 am

If you fail the QTE vs Chai at the end of Shenmue's final fight, he'll scream "with this, I can join the chiyoumen!" after beating Ryo senseless. He makes the very same remark after you fail the QTE where he steals the mirror in Chen's warehouse.

This made me think: is the implication here that Chai steals the mirror after knocking Ryo out? Or is defeating Ryo enough to curry the favor of the chiyoumen? If the latter is true, it would mean that Ryo was already a target of the chiyoumen as early as the end of the first game and this would neatly tie in with Chai's "assassin" occupation. He did attempt to kill Ryo, so perhaps he was tasked with doing so by the Chiyou?
Chaikilla

Postby BlueMue » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:32 am

Chai is just a weirdo seeking attention. I don't think he has a real connection to the Chi You Men and I doubt his assaults on Ryo are based on orders. He just knows about them because he's constantly lurking around corners and overhearing conversations.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 am

BlueMue wrote: Chai is just a weirdo seeking attention. I don't think he has a real connection to the Chi You Men and I doubt his assaults on Ryo are based on orders. He just knows about them because he's constantly lurking around corners and overhearing conversations.

According to Chai's biography in the Prima guide, Chai is "a low ranking member of the Chi You Men," though as for whether that is in an official capacity, or he simply considers himself to be the aforementioned, we don't really know. Plus, remember when Terry says something along the lines of, "That creepy skinhead, he took him out to the ship?" I doubt Lan Di would allow some random stalker to follow him around, getting in the way of his business and such, unless he really did have some agency, however miniscule.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: RenDur89
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:04 am

Oh right, I forgot that Terry mentions this.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Chaikilla » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:10 pm

I've been messing around with the map glitch in Shenmue 2. I managed to save myself the 2k entrance fee for the fight with Chunyan and I glitched my way out of the basement entrance to the yellow head building.

Interestingly, Ren still follows Ryo. I went around Kowloon for a while with him. Oh and Joy, who was present in Ren's hideout when you wake up on the day of Ryo meeting the scout/infiltrating the yellow head building, is no longer there from noon onward. She's not at any of the tea shops she usually frequents, either. We all know she follows Ryo and ends up being captured, so her absence here is very interesting. I'm amazed at how little details like this are covered, even though there's no real reason to cover them (since there isn't any legitimate way out of the basement of the thousand white building once we've met the scout/Ren).
Chaikilla

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:58 am

For French speakers, a cute child has made a let's play of Shenmue II.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWb-h5_q7ZE

He almost struggles at QTEs and he's pissed that Wong is a thief.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby south carmain » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:54 am

Yokosuka wrote: For French speakers, a cute child has made a let's play of Shenmue II.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Zgt-jnn2Y

He almost struggles at QTEs and he's pissed that Wong is a thief.

That is a fifa video.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:48 am

Shit

Fixed.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Chaikilla » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:32 pm

I didn't know that you can break curfew during your arrival at the Come Over Guest House. It's nothing special but when Ryo first gets the key to his room, he has to walk to the room and put his bag away. You can just stand around until either 2:30 am or 3am (I forgot). Pointless, I know, but still.

I seem to be hell-bent on destruction in my latest play through. So far I've made the guy on the ladder's sign as crooked as can be and I've picked dialogue options that always result in Fangmei getting angry with me. I'm a menace, I know.

Map glitching up the arcade stairs seems like an interesting idea but if there's a way to get back down, I've yet to find it. Upon trying to glitch back down the stairs I either float in the air for a second and hit an invisible wall, or I end up in the area where you fight Izumi and Eileen. Again, stuck behind an invisible wall in a small corner of the room. e_e

Something I've been thinking about recently is Ryo's debt with the Come Over Guest house. We all know that Ryo settles it before heading to Guilin but what happens if you don't have the money to do so? It's unlikely at this stage in the game that: 1. Ryo will have a significant debt and 2. Ryo won't have enough money to afford to settle his debts (because of his street fight winnings). But if you were going for a 100% complete notebook you'd probably rack up a hefty debt, since you'd need an entry from a Shenhua dream that you can only get a month before the bad ending date (June 30th) and to do this, you'd need to fail Zhangyu's QTE. During this time you'd be racking up a LOT of debt, it would cost Ryo 3686 dollars if he stayed from February 24th to June 1st. That would leave your average Shenmue player about 686 dollars short after completing the street fights.

Alternatively, you could just blow all your street fighting prize money and see what happens. Hmm...I'm thinking back to a play through where I got Yidian Wai Sik on my first try with the maximum stake during the "free day" before meeting the scout at the yellow head building. Coincidence or rigged so Ryo is able to pay his debt?
Chaikilla

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:57 am

Two interesting reflections on open world games by Meristation (Spanish) and Pseudoless (French)
http://www.meristation.com.mx/reportaje ... os/2221743
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxly2JD3Ggk
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Pinko Fug » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 am

Chaikilla wrote:
Something I've been thinking about recently is Ryo's debt with the Come Over Guest house. We all know that Ryo settles it before heading to Guilin but what happens if you don't have the money to do so? It's unlikely at this stage in the game that: 1. Ryo will have a significant debt and 2. Ryo won't have enough money to afford to settle his debts (because of his street fight winnings). But if you were going for a 100% complete notebook you'd probably rack up a hefty debt, since you'd need an entry from a Shenhua dream that you can only get a month before the bad ending date (June 30th) and to do this, you'd need to fail Zhangyu's QTE. During this time you'd be racking up a LOT of debt, it would cost Ryo 3686 dollars if he stayed from February 24th to June 1st. That would leave your average Shenmue player about 686 dollars short after completing the street fights.

I remember something about Joy paying Ryo's debt, if you haven't enough money. The first time Ryo and Joy chat in Kowloon, I remember something about the debt coming up once...
Pinko Fug
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: sonic mania

Postby Chaikilla » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:23 pm

Today's thoughts focus on Ren.

Firstly, when Ryo and Ren are heading up to the 18th floor, they're stopped a bunch of Yuan's men. Ren volunteers to fend them off while Ryo looks for the watchman's key(s). The problem here is that Yuan's weapons (a steel pipe and a chainsaw) are directly behind Yuan's men and way out of the reach of Ren. Ren really did pick his time to play the hero well!

This got me thinking: Has Ren killed before? He wields a knife, which he is happily willing to use (God knows what he would have done to Yang without Ryo's intervention) and he fought a bunch of Chiyoumen/yellow head on that super-narrow stairway on the rooftop. It was pretty much a miracle that everyone concerned in Ryo's fight in the same tight space survived and Ren seems to be far more ruthless than Ryo...I wonder if he killed a few off screen D:
Chaikilla

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:02 am

Shenmue series cracks the Top 20 Best Games of all time reader list for Famitsu:

Famitsu just released their 1500 issue, as they've done on previous milestones they asked their readers to pick the best game ever and the results are in:

[1]Persona 5
[2]Dragon Quest III
[3]Splatoon
[4]Nier Automata
[5]The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
[6]Final Fantasy VII
[7]Danganronpa V3
[8]Chrono Trigger
[9]Sakura Wars
[10]Shenmue
[11]Danganronpa 1 2 Reload
[12]Shenmue 2