Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:12 pm

BlueMue wrote: Very well spotted. I had to look quite a while at the screenshot to see the tiny visible bit of Ryo's jacket on the arm.
The pose does look awkward when you look at it for this long.

I think it would have looked much better without the weird hands thing, in my opinion. It would make Fuku-san look much higher up, almost like he's looking down into a secret tunnel or an abyss.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Ziming » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Podcast with Corey Marshall and Adam Koralik
http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... k.html?m=1

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Amir, Mr357, ShenGCH
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Amir » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Ziming wrote: Podcast with Corey Marshall and Adam Koralik
http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... k.html?m=1

Damn, Corey got to play a Eng-sub Jap-voice version of Shenmue back in the day?! Wonder if that data still exists somewhere...
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Kiske » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:07 am

Interesting tweet from Cédric Biscay:

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 8137777152
En train d'écrire une préface pour un livre qui va beaucoup parler de Shenmue...

Currently writing the preface of a book who is going to talk a lot about Shenmue...

The book is NOT in french.

Hopefully this could give the game some more visibilty.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 am

About that, I would appreciate the translation of this italian book one day.

There is also this interesting essay about general game design with some mentions of Shenmue :
http://avxhome.se/ebooks/GamingEssaysOn ... lture.html (this is not the complete book but all the Shenmue mentions are inside)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:53 am

I was thinking back to the first times I played the Shenmue games, and I'm wondering if I am not alone about having the urge to do a standing ovation after finishing a Shenmue game?

It's the weirdest thing, I don't even do that for movies in movie theatres, when a movie was great, but with a Shenmue game, I feel a almost uncontrollable urge to do so. Let me rephrase that, It's more like a reflex reaction(It's not a conscious thought).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:15 am

Last time I made a standing ovation was Mad Max Fury Road. I usually do this when the piece of art is really WTF and fully mastered in a surprising way. Shenmue was more about deep emotion, you still get into the universe of Shenmue until the endings end. Depends of your personality I suppose.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:23 am

Yokosuka wrote: Last time I made a standing ovation was Mad Max Fury Road. I usually do this when the piece of art is really WTF and fully mastered in a surprising way. Shenmue was more about deep emotion, you still get into the universe of Shenmue until the endings end. Depends of your personality I suppose.

Well the end of Shenmue 2 has to be to be all, end all of cliffhangers ever made(even puts the epic wuxia series cliffhangers to shame), which is about as a WTF moment there can be.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:45 am

It was a WTF thing but there was also a peacefully beauty in this. It was difficult to react.

Although, I was probably too young to have the standing ovation culture when I finished it the first time. Now that I'm aware that making a good video game like Shenmue is a so hard task, my reaction may have been different.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Shenmue Piano Medley by Redhead piano

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Yokosuka
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Yokosuka wrote: It was a WTF thing but there was also a peacefully beauty in this. It was difficult to react.

Although, I was probably too young to have the standing ovation culture when I finished it the first time. Now that I'm aware that making a good video game like Shenmue is a so hard task, my reaction may have been different.

Ok.

Ah, I never thought of that, yea I was in my 20s already by the time the 2nd Shenmue game came out.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:05 am

This is very good video for a different reason (than the usual positive ones); because it proves why main-stream game buffs will never understand an interactive entertainment software that calls for spiritual awareness and empathy, instead of quick bursts of adrenaline shots. Going to use it from now on as a reference/example of such a case.

phpBB [video]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:46 am

Giorgio wrote: This is very good video for a different reason (than the usual positive ones); because it proves why main-stream game buffs will never understand an interactive entertainment software that calls for spiritual awareness and empathy, instead of quick bursts of adrenaline shots. Going to use it from now on as a reference/example of such a case.

phpBB [video]

That's bad, laughably bad at that(It's hard to even get mad at that, It's so hilariously bad).

Not exactly surprising that, that numb nuts would actually take the stance that sales numbers=quality just to try to defend his stance. Hell he couldn't even matriculate that he didn't like the movement controls lol(If he knows what 1+1=, I would be very surprised).

I think we all knew a CoD drone would have a issue with it not being all about the action sigh, but damn this guy shows that CoD drones are far worse then we ever thought.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:42 am

Just to be on the same page here...

Do we agree that the point of this video isn't to prove that Shenmue II is a bad game but just to show the narrow mindedness of the "average" CoD player?
One is clearly a Shenmue fan (based on how well he knows locations, events, etc...) and the other one uses on purpose ridiculous arguments to justify the game is bad.

From my point of view, they are playing the good cop vs the bad cop! :king:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 am

Kiske wrote: Just to be on the same page here...

Do we agree that the point of this video isn't to prove that Shenmue II is a bad game but just to show the narrow mindedness of the "average" CoD player?
One is clearly a Shenmue fan (based on how well he knows locations, events, etc...) and the other one uses on purpose ridiculous arguments to justify the game is bad.

From my point of view, they are playing the good cop vs the bad cop! :king:

Lol yea ofcourse,

It's such a perfectly bad video, that is obviously bad to the point, It's hard to tell if It's a satire video or the FPS drone in really that brain dead/narrow minded(FPS drones are rather brain dead, and narrow minded, but this feels rather over the top).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue