Got any questions for a Shenmue game designer?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Got any questions for a Shenmue game designer?

Postby Sailors? » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:38 am

Adam, notice the join date on Chibas profile, sod knows who he is and you don't need to prove yourself to anyone really.

I absolutely love Shenmue myself but I don't get all giddy like a little girl when somebody starts saying they have information on such and such, so if you say you have contacts who can give info then fair enough. Unfortunately some people do get giddy like little girls and they and really a lot of Shenmue fans have been let down far too often by people who claim to know someone who can give just even a tiny amount of information on Shenmue. So the only real way you can prove it to them is by some kind of video interview but that's a ridiculous request. Personally I'm not arsed either way but it's nice to have these little insights.

Stick around, get involved in other parts of the forum and most importantly, don't give too much of a crap what people here think.

Sailors? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:57 am

Yeah, you're right. But still... it's bloody frustrating! Haha. I've actually contacted the admin and a few of the well known people within the community to see if they'd like to verify my identity. But now I feel a little stupid for sending those emails! :lol:

Oh well. I'll keep posting for the sake of people who appreciate it and want to hear from some of the back-end staff.

Adam.
Screenwriter_Adam
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: adam3855
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:32 am

Deff appreciate it Adam, keep it up
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby js3 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:44 am

Thanks for this Adam; a great read and some really interesting answers. Can't wait to read more!
js3

Currently playing: Just finished S2 (again)

Postby Supa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks, Adam! Great responses so far.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Lando » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:04 am

Screenwriter_Adam wrote: Chiba-Kun -- you may well be right about the Yakuza thing. All I said was what I was told. My friend isn't a diehard Shenmue fan either so maybe he made a mistake.

To be honest I really don't know what I can do to prove myself here?! I'm open to suggestions anybody? I've never hidden my identity, never lied about anything, so damn frustrating.

Like I said, I'm interviewing two more people who were involved in Shenmue.... I'm sorry not all of you are satisfied with the answers. Personally, I thought they were brilliant. But like I said in my last post, it'll be a shame to ruin it for the rest.

Adam.

Hi Adam. As a long time, hardcore-fan of the series, and as a video game graphics artist working in the industry, I'd just like to thank you for all your efforts, they've given me a great insight into the production of my all time favorite game(s), the Shenmues. I can relate to a lot of which is written, as far as the development goes.

Also, since I was actually born and raised in Gothenburg, Sweden, I can assure all of you out there that this guy ain't no troll, since not even a troll would come up with the idea to claim Borås to be the place where they live! ;P
No, joke aside, I love Borås : D

Looking forward to more answers from these guys! This is entertainment history we get glimpses of! I'm eternally grateful. You mentioned that you had more contacts on the original team, does someone of them happen to be a graphical artist? I'm currently working on THIS little project, would be awesome if I could get in touch with/send some questions concering how Shenmue was graphically built for the sake of that project! : )

//Lando
Lando

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:49 pm

Screenwriter_Adam wrote:

James -- the answers were supposed to be private, yes. I thought I'd post them up here for a short space of time at least considering the questions were actually decided by members of the forum and people have waited long enough. That said, I'd appreciate it if nobody publishes them elsewhere. I'm using his answers to write an article for a fairly big gaming magazine and obviously they wouldn't be too happy if they find out I've openly published them online.

Cheers.

Adam.

No worries.

I was kind of curious as to when the HD info would be leaked. :)
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby mue 26 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:19 pm

What HD info :s? I do think all this stuff in this thread is bullshit to be honest. Such a weird thread. Who wants to bet as to whether this ends up in "big gaming magazine" or not? £2 says it doesn't.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby BlueMue » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:41 pm

What I'd really like to know is why and when they changed the artistic style of Shenmue II.

In the early beta shots and videos Hong Kong looked really dark and desaturated. The city was run down, polluted and somewhat menacing. In the final game Hong Kong looks much nicer with all the colors, signs and so.

I know that a lot of the Shenmue II stuff on the Dreamcast was done simultaneosly or even before Shenmue but why the drastic change? Did they just didn't like the appeal anymore or where they just able to push the system further and the old style was just "limited" aswell?
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby moco » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 am

Hi guys. Im not sure if i ever posted here on the dojo, but here is a video ive made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4V7FQAY_lg

Shenmue 3 has been a long time coming and like everyone else here, I'm frustrated with the wait for any concrete evidence of Shenmue hd or Shenmue 3. I hope you like the video.
moco
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am

I understand peeps believing he's a troll because of the whole TEEPO thing (comes in as he leaves, also from England/Sweden...) but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. I believe the guy n wouldn't be outraged if TEEPO turns round n posts his copy of Shenmue up his arse crack again, saying "IT WAS ME!!!" It's been a nice little thing for the community, summat that doesn't really come round too often anymore, so I for one, am grateful. Cheers Adam!

*Waits on TEEPO reveal...*
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Even if he is a troll, this doesn't really seem like Teepot's style. Teepee goes straight for the money shot an doesn't faff about. He knows what we want from our trolls.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Screenwriter_Adam » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Hey Guys,

Just in case you didn't read the message on the first page. I have to remove this post because I'm writing an article with this information for a magazine. Now I'm in contact with shengoro86 on Facebook so I'll liaise with him with updates. When I get the rest of the interview questions back and write the article I'll message back and let everyone know when it'll be out.

If you want to know anything email me: [email protected]
Screenwriter_Adam

PSN: adam3855
Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sailors? » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm

1 question, which magazine?
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

Postby TheTimeRanger » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Major question... Update?
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue