How old were you when you first played Shenmue?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: How old were you when you first played Shenmue?

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:19 pm

BlueMue wrote: Looking at the posts so far, a pattern is already starting to shape. Except for Radar everyone so far is in a rather close together group of 12-16 years old. I'd say that's a good age to get sucked into a game. At that age it's easy to get attached to something as your still growing up and learn, thus are "shapeable". But you can already understand and appreciate what's going on well enough. Well, I guess...

That's a great point and explains our obsession so to speak.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:54 pm

mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Latin King » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 am

I was 10, first played it back in 2003 I think.
Latin King
West Coast
Master of the Three Blades

Postby south carmain » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:34 am

9-10 can't remember exactly
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 am

15. Mum bought it for me from GAME after I saw it on that show GamePad on Bravo TV. Memories, man!

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Ryo911
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:05 am

Must of been about 9. Me and my twin used to watch my older brother play it all the time, and i would get mad if he played without me. Can still remember the huge smile my older brother had on his face the day he brought Shenmue 2 home, just because he knew what our reactions would be.

Funny what you remember as a kid.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby RyoDC » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:23 pm

I think I was 13 or 14.
RyoDC
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:03 pm

13 in 2001. I originally asked for a PS1 for christmas in 2000. I eventually played many other games and Shenmue didn't look fun to me, but I finally rented it from a local video store after I had played through most of the other dreamcast games they had. I would eventually buy a PS2 about 3 months later. If I had never rented Shenmue I am not sure I would be where I am today. I could be more successful, or I could be less successful. I do know that I definitely wouldn't be in Japan though :lol:

ShOzO MiZuKi has received 2 thanks from: nskachu, wude
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby nskachu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:54 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: 13 in 2001. I originally asked for a PS1 for christmas in 2000. I eventually played many other games and Shenmue didn't look fun to me, but I finally rented it from a local video store after I had played through most of the other dreamcast games they had. I would eventually buy a PS2 about 3 months later. If I had never rented Shenmue I am not sure I would be where I am today. I could be more successful, or I could be less successful. I do know that I definitely wouldn't be in Japan though :lol:

I wouldn't wear a lether jacket and ask for sailors at night.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:49 am

Fairly certain it was like late 2000, early 2001 so I was like 10 or so. First time I played it, my cousin brought it over and popped in the disc in my then new Dreamcast. Was completely blown away by the graphics and structure of the game. I guess it was very impressionable on me
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Thief » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:13 am

I was 20. It's been a little over three years since I first played Shenmue.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:31 am

I was 11 or 12 when I first picked up a pre-owned copy in 2001 or 2002. It was around the time I finally delved into RPGs after not quite understanding them growing up (I had been playing platformer and adventure games since I was 3 or 4).

Although not an RPG in the traditional sense, Shenmue was recommended to me. Alas, I had trouble getting the disc to play properly, I was being hampered by freeze-ups on loading screens on Disc 1 and put it aside.

It was summer of 2003 when I was browsing the interwebs, probably read something about Shenmue on GameFAQs, and decided to dig the game out of my closet. Managed to get past Disc 1 without any glitches and the rest was history...tracked down a Shenmue II import a few weeks later.

So I was 13 when I properly played Shenmue and had video gaming as a hobby properly ruined for me, because nothing has ever compared to the Shenmue experience.

Being 13, I think I understood better and was impacted more by the game than I could have at any other time. The story was easy to follow (and incredibly captivating) and I was wise enough to pick up on all the intricacies of the artistic efforts put into this game. I remember the game inspiring me to work out (push ups, running etc) and I would mimic some of Ryo's martial arts techniques in my bedroom. And while I've never been to Japan or China, if(when) I do visit, I'll have Shenmue to thank for opening up my eyes to another culture and the natural beauty this world has to offer. Sounds a little sappy, but I think it's true.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby lavrentis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:10 am

10 or 11.

My bro borrowed it from a friend, I remember saying "this game looks terrible" judging it by the cover.

Put the disc in, fucking hell I was fixated for hours. Love at first play.

Used to bring the game round to a girls house and we'd play it together.
Last edited by lavrentis on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:11 am

I played it on the NTSC release date for USA. So I was 10.

Man, what a great day that was.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Sailors? » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:12 pm

I think I was 10, pretty sure I picked up the game in 2001.

I was at my friends house when I first saw it played by his step-father and I was completely immersed even then and I wasn't even playing it myself. My mates step dad has always had the latest gaming gear ever since I first met him all those years ago and he was playing on this retro 50 inch TV (Which was unbelievably huge at that time.) Needless to say the game looked amazing.

But when it came round to 2001 with my birthday just around the corner I had somewhat forgot about the game and me and my mum went to the local Electronics Boutique (before Game bought it out and subsequently closed down) with the intention of getting an N64. Another friend of mine had one and that's all we used to play for hours, I loved Goldeneye and Banjo-Kazooie and most people I knew had a N64 not a Dreamcast. But they were sold out of N64s (I was gutted!), a store assistant suggested the Dreamcast, it was either that or wait for them to re-stock the N64. I wasn't sure what to do but in the back of my mind I remembered seeing my friends step dad playing that amazing game and I knew then that I would love the Dreamcast even more than I would the N64. It was the right choice of course, I loved every game I got for the Dreamcast and in that spur of the moment decision I allowed myself to experience the best game ever made.

Shenmue4lyf.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue