Fav char in Shenmue 1 other than Ryo?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Fav char in Shenmue 1 other than Ryo?

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:58 am

ShOzO MiZuKi
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:03 pm

That guy who goes:
Ive been to tired lately why don't you try asking me again tomorrow.
That guy is a legend!

mrslig100 has received 2 thanks from: Lan Di-sama, Who Really Cares?
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 pm

I don't get the "other than Ryo" stipulation.... there are dozens of characters more interesting :lol:

I'm going to list a few, not because they are my favorites necessarily (so hard to choose), but these are just the ones I've happened to think about after not having played the game in some time. Pardon if I misremember some specific names...

Main character faves include Gui Zhang and Master Chen (and Master Chen's man boobs - they even jiggle when he walks!). I also enjoyed the interaction between Ryo and his friends - Nozomi, Naoyuki, Ichiro - they really were quite realistic forces in Ryo's life - the scene where they stop by to visit, for example, and the brief interactions Ryo has with them out and about, just feel really natural. Despite that, they are really auxiliary players in Ryo's life now (even Nozomi) and it's pretty cool how much thought Am2 must have put into the dynamics of Ryo's relationships with his friends and neighbors. I still can't really think of another game since Shenmue in which your sandbox is one town, where almost everyone has their own personality and treats the player in a unique way, based on the relationship they have with him (or her).

There were hordes of interesting NPCs as well:

- Yamato-san (Mei's sister, the one at the harbor lunch stand - is that Yamato-san?) - what a kind, gentle soul.

- I always enjoyed the romance between the guy at the military surplus shop (Kurito?) and the chick who had the flower shop with her father.

- Yamagishi-san and Lui-san were bad ass

- And all of the Bar Yokosuka regulars were really endearing, too. I love how Suzuki/AM2 glamorized the dive bar. MJQ Jazz Bar had that stiff, uppity feeling despite being a cleaner and classier-looking joint. But Bar Yokosuka was homey and warm. Even though it'd be 8 years before stepping foot into a real bar, I preferred to pop into Bar Yokosuka to kill time in the game and unsurprisingly I'm much more apt to hang out in environments like that to this day.

A character I don't care much for:

Chai - I thought his presence in the game was more unrealistic than the last section of Shenmue II. Perhaps it was a result of playing the game post-Lord of the Rings movies, but to me, he seemed too generic a villian and out of place in the slow, realistic world of Shenmue (Chapter 1, anyway). And while actually playing Chapter 2 would have been fun, the mere fact that Chai somehow got on the ship seemed silly, too. I wonder if we are really through with him or if there is more to his story.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:16 am

Lan Di-sama wrote: - Yamato-san (Mei's sister, the one at the harbor lunch stand - is that Yamato-san?) - what a kind, gentle soul.

You mean Hisaka-san?
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 pm

Definitely Xiuying, love her personality and strength as a character guiding Ryo. She's also easy on the eyes! :-D

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby poblequadrat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:21 am

What about the mafioso guy who tells you not to stray from the right path? I always found Nagai Industries hilarious, what with the South American soap opera-type music and all...
poblequadrat
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby chris1986 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Fuku-san! he's the best!

Jokes! He is a bit annoying, although I do think him telling Ryo to smash open the piggy bank is nice.

I like Nozomi, I really wish Ryo was a bit more 'intimate' since the girl practically spills her heart out to him, surely he must know she wants to be with him, I like her character design, her voice is really soft and girly, she is a favourite of mine, i used to like speaking to her, and i like all her scenes.

Other than her, i'd find it hard to pick since everyone else isn't too involving, they play their short parts and have their roles, but it's hard for me to pick.
chris1986
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Chaikilla » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:41 am

Eri. She's a total bitch but I kinda love the way she treats Ryo with utter contempt. She's certainly the more interesting one out of Nozomi's friends; I swear if I could crawl Cyclone that Noriko hoe for everytime she's told me "I want to be a kindergarten teacher" she'd have very sore ankles. Let's put it that way.

It's kind of cool how she treats Ryo like a human at the end of the game as well, (if you race home to Dobuita before you're due to meet Tom you'll get some interesting dialogue with her). She's like a really bitchy boss who seemingly hated you for years, only to realise that you're not such a bad guy after all. Clearly Nozomi told her about the whole Ryo saving her thing and it softened her up. :D

Another notable mention is Chai. I know he divides opinion, with some people feeling like this Gollum-like, roof-jumping crack addict felt out of place in such a realistic world but it's the mysteriousness that surrounds his character that has always made me find him intriguing. Described as "that thing" by Master Chen, his mysterious fighting style, his superhuman athleticism. All of these things make you wonder just what the hell he is and how he came to be. Moreover, it's unclear whether he was given instructions to keep a keen eye on Ryo by the Chiyoumen or whether he stumbled across Ryo by chance and it was actually Guizhang that he was stalking initially, deciding to stalk Ryo as well after learning of the existence of another mirror.
Chaikilla
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BigTuna » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:26 pm

Nozomi.
She's a cutie, man.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby R3N » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:21 am

Nozomi probably bad at giving blowjobs.
:twisted: My favorite is Mari Yamashita.
If only Ryo was not gay he could wait for her shift to end and take her to that "empty warehouse" where he used to get sweaty at.
Just look at those lips perfect for a blowjob! :---) :-o
I also liked the way she flatter Ryo by saying he look like a pop star and that they should go to audition together.
R3N
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:18 am

Wow so many interesting characters that I had forgotten about! Guys like Gordo and stuff, brings back memories..haha! I`m glad this thread is sparking up some passion from all of you. :)
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous

Return to Shenmue