Shenmue Fandom/Myers Briggs Correlation?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Shenmue Fandom/Myers Briggs Correlation?

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:32 am

I was fiercely adhering to the idea of complete individuality -- assuming that there was no possible way that a test could pinpoint my particular personality (especially when the options were a meager sixteen), but then I took the myers briggs test thing. It said I was an ENFP, and I am. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. In my experience, the test is shockingly accurate.

Thief has received a thanks from: Kirino_Matsuyama
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kirino_Matsuyama » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:41 am

mbti_addict wrote: I'm a huge fan of Shenmue, and used to be a member of this site several years ago. Unfortunately, I can't remember the username or the email I used here. I stalk the site periodically so the faux news can set my hopes up to be crushed. Anyways, over the past few years, I've become very acclimated with Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) which is a system developed to group people into personify types based on the research of Psychologist Carl Jung. According to the system, there are 16 types of personalities. If you delve deeply into MBTI, it is difficult to not be impressed by how accurate the system is.

On to the point of the post.... Shenmue is obviously not a game for everyone. Honestly, I cant think of one as polarizing, with most complaints dealing with the pacing of the game. Because of how accurate the personality profiles are, I came to the hypothesis certain types of people are more likely to like/dislike Shenmue. In MBTI, each type is made up of 4 letters. (E) Xtravert or (I) ntravert, i (N) tuitive or (S) ensor, (F) eeler or (T) hinker, and (P) erceiver or (J) udger. I am an INFP. My type is known for writing ability. Because I have the cognitive functions of a writer, I feel I am drawn to the slow pacing of Shenmue because it allows plot and character development., which most current gamers care nothing about.

Does anyone here know their MBTI? Is anyone willing to take the test online to see if there are any correlations between personality type and Shenmue enjoyment?

Really interesting post :D

Living in Japan I’ve got a lot of experience in taking these tests. Companies in Japan use them to find out if you are suitable for a certain job. Also, when registering at recruitment agencies in Japan it’s quite common to be asked to take a personality test.

They are called Shinrikensa or Shinri Tests (心理検査) in Japanese. They normally are around 100 questions and most are taken on a computer. One test I took only gave me 5 seconds to answer each question, and as Japanese isn’t my first language it was like playing a EXCITE QTE 2 in the arcade, trying to read the Kanji as quickly as possible and select the appropriate tick box.
Anyway, I was thinking about doing a vote/straw poll so members could show what personality type they have and we could see if a certain pattern emerges (as you mentioned INXX should be popular). However, I didn’t want to steal your thunder, as you had already covered the topic.

Is it okay if I make a new post so people can vote on what personality type they have?
Kirino_Matsuyama
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:16 am

If a thread hasn't been updated in years you can consider it dead and just go ahead and create a new one.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Kirino_Matsuyama
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Previous

Return to Shenmue