Your angriest Shenmue moments

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Your angriest Shenmue moments

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:15 am

Of the most-referenced tricky, difficult, or infuriating parts in Shenmue, which ones do you personally find fit the bill the best and hate the most?

Shenmue - it's a toss up between losing the forklift races due to bullshit (the pipe sticking out of the ground behind the Harbour Lounge, for example) or the second Mad Angels sub-boss with the 2x4, but I'm leaning more towards the latter. The dude in the green camo jacket? Easy. Pedro? Tough, but not a problem. Hacksaw Jim Duggan-san, however? Cheap. As. Fuck. Easily the cheapest fighter in the game next to Chai. Fuck that dude.

Shenmue II - those fucking planks in the Ghost Hall Building, no question. I couldn't possibly tell you how many obscenities I screamed the first few times I tackled them. Paired with my crappy short-term memory and refusal to jot the QTEs down, I absolutely would not take the easy way out; I insisted on doing it properly. If there's anything that gives me video game-related PTSD, it's that section. Still hate them to this very day :lol:

GO!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Your angriest Shenmue moments

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:42 am

I mostly comboed Hacksaw Jim Duggan-san by spamming the punch punch punch kick attack and i usually could get him, however Pedro? that mf always blocked and did that big punch that knocks you to the floor while he laughs....

I also when i played S1 for the first time i had a suuuper hard time with the Jimmy QTE, i kept loosing, it was tough at the time. THE MOTORCYCLE SEGMENT... UUGUGGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHG..... That has to top it for me.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Monkei » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:18 am

That final Dou Niu QTE in Shenmue II, where you had to push a short combo instead of just one button. Couldn't get the timing right for quite a while and almost turned super sayan.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:52 am

The Ghost Hall Building plank section still gets me a little upset to this day.
It's the starting over from the bottom if you fail that's the killer. When I got right up to the top I'd just save before each plank then flip the DC lid if I failed :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby theseabass » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:33 am

Shenmue 1 didn't have too many moments that I can remember that actively made me angry from a gameplay standpoint. However, the first time I played I didn't realize that the only place you could save was at his house, and I learned it the hard way after losing several hours of playtime. That was pretty infuriating. Failing sneaking into Warehouse 8 was really unpleasant, but didn't take too many tries for me. Overall Shenmue 1 is a much slower game than 2 so it had less things that could get on my nerves.

Shenmue 2 had quite a few. The seemingly RNG wrestling fights when you're trying to get the recruiter to let you into the Yellow Head Building. As someone stated earlier having to redo the Dou Niu fight was aggravating, but I only messed up once on the final QTE, so it doing it over once more wasn't the worst thing ever. The one fight in the basement of the Yellow Head Building when you find Joy was annoying before I learned the pattern to beat him, as I could easily get past the first fight, but failed the second one multiple times and would have to redo the first. The first time the sort of "freeze frame" QTE came up (idk what else to call it) I had lots of trouble seeing exactly what I was supposed to do.
theseabass
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue 2X

Postby Amir » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:19 am

Sonoshee wrote: The Ghost Hall Building plank section still gets me a little upset to this day.
It's the starting over from the bottom if you fail that's the killer. When I got right up to the top I'd just save before each plank then flip the DC lid if I failed :P

Tip for future: for almost every Dreamcast game you can do a reset to menu if you presss A+B+X+Y+Start.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Fenix » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:41 am

In Shenmue, nothing. In Shenmue II, the fucking Baihu lv16.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby BlueMue » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:10 pm

I really can't think of anything else but the planks maybe. The frustration lies so far in the past...
It's been so many years that I went through them without the notes I made and it's even been a long time since I went up the building without skipping them
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:22 pm

The motorcycle race to the harbor, the Ghost Hall planks, but more than anything else, that damned QTE in the Izumi fight. Fuck whoever thought of that, even if it was Yu. I lost so many times because of that thing popping up just as I was about to finish her.

I don't think I've ever gotten that angry at a game besides maybe the Liquid fight in MGS or the vampire boss in YS.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Mr357 wrote: The motorcycle race to the harbor, the Ghost Hall planks, but more than anything else, that damned QTE in the Izumi fight. Fuck whoever thought of that, even if it was Yu. I lost so many times because of that thing popping up just as I was about to finish her.

I don't think I've ever gotten that angry at a game besides maybe the Liquid fight in MGS or the vampire boss in YS.

VIVA... SAKURA... FESTIVAL! *pink onions rain down from the sky*

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Mr357
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:55 am

At least her QTE is always the same and if you do it fast enough Ryo will do a counter attack. Totally worth it.
Just take your left hand off the d-pad and use two thumbs to input the command. Yeah, you gotta be quick for it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby rwinno21 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:42 am

For me definitely the Chai fight in the arcade, never could win that fight at the time, have seen since the moves which work against him. I always thought this was the most difficult fight over 1 and 2.
rwinno21
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Ryno4 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:41 pm

100% it's the Dou Niu QTE. It takes an age to beat him and then ou have to do that whole thing again.

I beat Baihu first time without a struggle. It tells you when you pause it that you need to use a certain type of move. Cross charge seemed to work. It was the first one I tried on him. He didn't block it
Ryno4
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Shmemoon
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Mr357 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:53 pm

BlueMue wrote: At least her QTE is always the same and if you do it fast enough Ryo will do a counter attack. Totally worth it.
Just take your left hand off the d-pad and use two thumbs to input the command. Yeah, you gotta be quick for it.

I used my index and middle fingers on my right hand, but it was still a pain in the ass.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby rockerlad » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:49 pm

The planks in shenmue 2. Sometimes the waiting in shenmue would annoy me to be honest.
rockerlad

Currently playing: Until Dawn

Next

Return to Shenmue