SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD happen

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: SEGA currently "investigating" making Shenmue 1/2 HD hap

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Verderame wrote: Tweaks needed in a Shenmue 1 & 2 HD remastered in my opinion:

-The most important one: [b]actual analog stick-based movements and controls.[/b] Capcom did it in the recent RE HD remaster, so why Sega shouldn't be able to do the same? They really need to do this, because otherwise the first 20/30 mins of the game are going to be very, very tough, traumatizing and off-putting for tons of newcomers. [very doable and likely]

-Of course, second analog stick based camera control [sure thing]

-Extremely reduced loading times [sure thing]

-Add the time skip option from Shenmue 2 in Shenmue 1 too [unlikely but who knows?]

-No matter how much we love it, the original english voice acting is simply god awful, and it's the second, serious flaw that ages the game. But what they could realistically do about this? I would really LOVE the inclusion of the japanese track, but the Undubbed mod showed us that it would be super complicated to do (mainly because the english version has added dialogues). And, of course, american people need their english dub, otherwise they're not going to buy it. [extremely unlikely - without a real solution]

I really think that with the right adjustments Sh 1 and 2 (especially the second one) could actually be decently appreciated nowadays. I mean, we have lots of "walking simulators" today, why not Shenmue then?

they already did that in shenmue 2
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Whatever they decide to do with the controls, Shenmue for me will always be D-pad to control Ryo and left stick to control camera, if they are gonna change that i hope they include a ''legacy'' control option to bring it back to how it was, RE HD did this so i hope Sega will do too.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby drunkensailor » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:46 am

GYO6161 wrote: Whatever they decide to do with the controls, Shenmue for me will always be D-pad to control Ryo and left stick to control camera, if they are gonna change that i hope they include a ''legacy'' control option to bring it back to how it was, RE HD did this so i hope Sega will do too.

you never played shenmue 2?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:17 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
GYO6161 wrote: Whatever they decide to do with the controls, Shenmue for me will always be D-pad to control Ryo and left stick to control camera, if they are gonna change that i hope they include a ''legacy'' control option to bring it back to how it was, RE HD did this so i hope Sega will do too.

you never played shenmue 2?

Im more talking about if they alter ryo's walking to make it less tanky and make the camera fully 360, not just maping it like how it was in S2
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby alexh86 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 am

Hopefully they would have a legacy control system for those who want to experience the games as released. Personally, I don't have an emotional attachment to the tank controls and prefer the control scheme of Shenmue II. To make the game accessible to modern audiences, I hope they would completely revamp the controls to allow full movement with the left stick and full camera movement with the right stick.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby Verderame » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:39 pm

If i recall Shenmue 2 just let you choose to play with dpad tank controls remapped on the stick, but it still hadn't actual analog movements.
Verderame

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Outrun

Postby Sappharad » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Verderame wrote: If i recall Shenmue 2 just let you choose to play with dpad tank controls remapped on the stick, but it still hadn't actual analog movements.

No, I just booted up the DC version to confirm. Analog mode is pretty much analog. Push a little, you walk. Push all the way, you run. Push in between... you get the idea.

The analog controls are analog in the sense that how far you push the stick is how fast you move, but the direction isn't 1:1, which I am personally fine with. When you press right, Ryo sort of walks in a circle. If you press down, he turns around and the camera turns around accordingly. They're not exactly tank controls from that respect, as actual tank controls you'd just turn right/left when pushing right/left and not actually move forward. I suppose if you had a dedicated Camera stick that 1:1 controls would work, but the current controls are at least not as terrible as actual tank controls like Grim Fandango had.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby alexh86 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:19 am

Verderame wrote: If i recall Shenmue 2 just let you choose to play with dpad tank controls remapped on the stick, but it still hadn't actual analog movements.

Nope, it was normal single-stick analog control as was common at the time (think Super Mario 64). When you press the trigger you get the view zoom and the stick then moves the camera. If memory serves the tank controls are the default and you must manually switch to analog movement in the menu. If both games could get that control treatment, modern players would be fine with them. Bonus points would be for full right stick camera but I don't think that's 100% necessary.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:30 am

bad amemory
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Esppiral » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:35 am

That's actually true, on Xbox.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am

Can we be reasonably excited by this sequence of tweets?

Probable source: https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf ... _final.pdf

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: scarless landi, Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:52 am

shenmue is no new title and an hd update wouldn't be released only on pc
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:57 am

drunkensailor wrote: shenmue is no new title and an hd update wouldn't be released only on pc

I'm not sure the 27 new titles are all PC exclusive.

If you read the first tweet in the picture, the author admits he's not sure whether or not those 27 new titles includes port/re-releases.

I tried to go thorugh the pdf file from the link but it's not that easy to extract precise information from it.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby drunkensailor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:29 am

I think they will be mostly mobile games
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:46 pm

I can only hope that Shenmue HD Collection counts as two of those 27 games... and that they land on PS4.

Beyond that, I would imagine many of the 27 games are going to be classic Sonic games for the 25th anniversary. I'd quad dip for Sonic CD. I bought it on Sega CD, PS3 and my Kindle. I'd get it for PS4 in a Sonic Mega Collection like Gems on Gamecube.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Previous

Return to Shenmue