Shenmue I 100% complete memo guide, written on 06/17/2016

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Shenmue I 100% complete memo guide, written on 06/17/2016

Postby LCrespo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:52 am

Introduction

After 17 years of the game release, I noticed there is still controversy over the entries on the memo, also there is not a perfect memo guide on internet. I am writing this thread on 06/17/2016 to end the confusion in order to welcome shenmue 3 in the future! The best source on internet regarding this topic is Vector's Shenmue I Complete Notebook guide which you can find here http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/19862 ... faqs/14458. It is nearly a perfect version with few confusions, so my job here is to point out those spots, in other words the combination of my comments in this thread and the Vector's Shenmue I Complete Notebook guide will be the "real" complete guide for shenmue I memo. I must thank Vector to write such a good guide, the real complete guide can't be done without your guide.

IMPORTANT
Before start I would like to clarify that it is impossible to obtain all the entries since some entries are conflicting. So there is not a 100% memo, but based on the game play one can fill the notebook as much as possible to get a relative "100%" memo.

Confusions in the Vector's Shenmue I Complete Notebook guide
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PAGE 15:

When searching
for Chinese, seek
the 3 blades

HOW TO GET:
Talk to Tao-san when he's inside the Ajiichi Restaurant.

(There is this big gaping space below but I don't know what to do to
get an entry to appear here. Considering that the next two pages are
a continuation of the information that Tao-san gives, I'm assuming that
there really isn't anything written on this space. I could be horribly
mistaken, but until someone proves me otherwise, I'll stick to my theory.)

LCrespo comment

On this page 15 you can only get this entry, the big gap appears in all english shenmue 1 versions but in the Japanese version there is no gap, the comment is in the middle of page 15.

PAGE 37:

Got a lead on
Charlie!

HOW TO GET:
On the same evening you defeat the wussy sailors, head to the
Tattoo Shop and converse with Takashi Takashiro (Tattoo artist)
about Charlie three times.

(I could have sworn you could talk to him on an afternoon, but on the
last two times I've restarted my game I can only talk to him on the
same evening I fought the sailors. On the next day, even if I do
nothing but squat in front of his door, the moment I enter it plays
the sequence where the sailors are getting a "stronger" tattoo -
Charlie is at the back of the room resting.)

(I've also tried to see how many of the entries I can get before Ryo's
curfew and with such a tight deadline I ended up missing the 2nd Entry
on Page 34 - naturally, since you can only get this on the next morning;
and the 2nd Clue on Page 35 since talking to the Fortune Teller takes
15 minutes game time for each clue.)

(If anyone can shed light on this niggling problem, you'll be mentioned
in this FAQ aside from my heartfelt gratitude.)

PAGE 38:

Return to the
Tattoo parlor
tom.

HOW TO GET:
This also appears when you've talked to Takashiro [Tattoo Parlor].

LCrespo comment

Here is the first spot in the memo with conflicting entries, you can only get the 2 entries above on the same evening you defeat the wussy sailors as mentioned by Vector. After this night no matter when you go in the Tattoo Shop the "stronger tattoo" cut scene happens. If you talk to him that night, you miss the entries below

=====================================================================================================
PAGE 34:

A tattooed man
seen at the You
Arcade?
Go check it out

HOW TO GET:
Head to You Arcade before the Bike Punks squat there for the whole day
(that means waiting outside and entering the moment the place opens).
This entry appears after you've talked to Yuji Nito.

PAGE 35:

*Clue
Neon reflecting
an apt. bldg. w/
a dragon door?

HOW TO GET:
Like the above clue, go to Lapis only after you've gotten
three negative replies from three people.

it seems do not go to the tattoo shop that night is a better choice, it is up to you.

=====================================================================================================
PAGE 75:

*Clue
Candlelight in a
large room, sword
& then handguard.

HOW TO GET:
Once you've gotten the 2nd Entry on Page 74, head to Lapis.

Is there anything
in Dad's room?

HOW TO GET: !!requires confirmation!!
Spend 2 hours (game time) in the dojo without having the key
in your possession. (or is it get to this point within 2 hours?)

PAGE 76:

The hanging scroll
must have some
meaning

Once you've opened the box, spend another 2 hours (game time) in the dojo.

A hidden door
in the Dojo...
Found a basement
Could the Phoenix
Mirror be here?

HOW TO GET:
After opening the secret door, head down the ladder and
this entry appears when you get to the bottom.

LCrespo comment

The entry order in Vector's guide is wrong. It is possible to get the 2 entries, and the tips offered by Vector is correct. The key point is during the 2 hours game time, you can't just put your dreamcast controller on the table which means you have to keep moving or doing something with your dreamcast controller in the game for the 2 hours game time. I bet most people just put their dreamcast controller away and doing something else in real life and wait for the entries appear.

For the entry "Is there anything in Dad's room?", if Ryo already has the key........ Yes, you need to restart the game, this happened to me. Thanks SEGA.

PAGE 77:

*Clue
The gods help
those who
persevere...

HOW TO GET:
Go to Lapis after you've climbed down to the basement but
NOT entered the room itself.

Found an old
photo of Dad

HOW TO GET:
From the entrance of the basement, head to the stack of boxes at the
far right side of the room. When you open the top most, you'll see
a picture and automatically pick it up. This entry appears afterwards.

Floor scratches?

HOW TO GET:
From the entrance of the basement, head to the far left shelves
and look at the floorboards near it.
PAGE 78:

This shelf's been
moved... why?

HOW TO GET:
After you've seen the scratches, you'll have the option of performing
an action on the shelf. Press A and this entry appears after you've
moved the shelf back to its original position.

Is there a space
behind the wall?

I need to break
the wall... how?

HOW TO GET:
Once the shelf has been moved, examine the "secret panel"
to get these entries.

PAGE 79:

Fuku-san tips:
floor scratches,
part of wall a
different color.

Explore the secret basement for two hours without getting
the Entries on Page 77 and 78.

LCrespo comment

Same problem as I just mentioned, put your finger on the dreamcast controller during the 2 hours in game time. Please note once you get tips from Fukusan you can go back to the entries on page 78. But one by one! Do not check the wall before Fukusan talks Ryo about the wall. Yes, you need to spend another 2 hours in game after getting "floor scratches" on page 79.

The entry "Floor scratches?" on page 77 is conflict with "floor scratches," on page 79, you only get either. The first two entries on page 77 won't affect getting Fukusan tips. So get them before the 2 hours + 2 hours boring time in the basement.

PAGE 95:

Maybe I should
discuss this with
Fuku-san again?

HOW TO GET:
This is also part of the entries you get after the automatic
cut-scenes involving the Travel Agencies.

(Like Page 15, there is this big gaping space below and again I don't
know what to do to get an entry to appear here. Anyone who can shed
a light on this will be greatly appreciated.)

LCrespo comment

Same as page 15, this is the only entry you can get on this page, don't think about too much. SEGA should have done a better typeset.

PAGE 127:

(POSSIBLE ENTRY SPACE HERE?! -- Joel) LCrespo comment: no entry here

A co-worker
said he feels
we're being spied
on during work

The MAD ANGELS?

HOW TO GET:
During your lunch break on day 4, look at the bench you and your
co-workers sit on. At about 12:45 the guy wearing the beige shirt
will stand up and walk off. Follow him and keep talking to him until
Ryo asks about the Mad Angels (you may have to let him walk for a short
while before Ryo will ask). This entry will be added afterwards.

PAGE 133:

Nozomi's been
kidnapped!
I have to get to
Warehouse No. 17
by 3:30am!

HOW TO GET:
After your 5th day at work, when you go home and go to sleep, Ryo will
wake up a bit later and tell Ine-san he's "going out for fresh air."
She'll reply that she was talking to Aida-san and Nozomi never came home.
A call will come in and Chai will tell you more.

(POSSIBLE ENTRY SPACE HERE?! -- Joel)LCrespo comment: no entry here

Thats all! Some of you may have noticed from my writing that my native language is not english. I am born in Ryo's destination, yes China! but not Guilin. If there is anything you are not clear due to my english, feel free to message me.

Thanks for watching!
:D :D :D :D
LCrespo
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Shenmue I 100% complete memo guide, written on 06/17/201

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:12 am

Your English is not bad at all, and wecome to the boards!

I didn't realise after all these years that Vectors notebook was incomplete! That could be a new project i would work on if I wasn't so busy with another at the moment.

What I would suggest first of all, is to try and get a modder to try and get you a text dump of the notebook text. You would need to go through it and make sense of that, but then you would have a guide of that the entry text is. Then it's a case of discovering how to get the text.

Least that way, you know there are no missing entries. I am not sure if Force Vector actually used a text dump for his guide, but it's worth confirming at least.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby AlphaMale09 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:43 am

Hello everyone !

I'm almost finished the Full Notebook Quest of Shenmue I (Thanks to Force Vector's guide), but also with these informations, I meet an issue. In the Disc 3, on the 2nd day of work, we must go to the Lapis to get a clue BEFORE and AFTER fighting the Mad Angels at Warehouse #17.

BEFORE

PAGE 121:

MAD ANGELS
->meet up behind
Warehouse No. 17

HOW TO GET:
During the second day of work, sometime after lunch you will be ambushed
by more members of the Mad Angels in Warehouse #3. Beat all of them
and after interrogating one of the men this entry is added.

*Clue
When you help a
new friend, a new
path shall open.

HOW TO GET:
After getting the first entry on this page, return to Dobuita
and visit Lapis. You must do this before meeting the Mad Angels
behind Warehouse #17.

AFTER

PAGE 124:

*Clue
In the dark of
night the sea is
full of evil but
in good time,
this evil may
guide your way

HOW TO GET:
Visit Lapis in Dobuita after saving Mark outside Warehouse #17
on day 2 of work.

But it's impossible to get, we don't have enough time, we can't quit the Harbor before 8 PM...

Anyone can have a clue please ? :D

Thanks for all
AlphaMale09
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ReeceKun » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:13 am

This is Every Possible Memo Entry taken from the Games 1stRead.Bin

Code: Select all
Mirror w/ Dragon    design stolen!  Lan Di- murdered Dad    wore dragon robe    rare fight style    Tattoo on his arm   In Meng Cun Dad killed a man    named Zhao  Sun Ming?   What happened   that day in the Dojo?   Ine-san will        leave 500\ on   the shoe cabinet    for me daily.   I should go to  the Dojo and ask    Fuku-san=@  I'll get revenge    for my father!! Ask around to   see if anyone   saw men wearing black that day  I found a locked    box in the Dojo Where's the key?    I can't involve Sumiya-san may  know something? An elderly lady's   looking for the Yamamoto house  in Sakuragaoka  Yamagishi-san   almost got hit by   the black car   I need to visit The blk. car went   towards Dobuita _Maybe ppl. who work there saw it   *Clue   She surrounded by   flowers can help.   Nozomi (Aida    Florist) got mud    splashed by the black car   Tom (hot dog    truck) had words    with blk.car men?   Seek he who always dances to    cheerful music  Tom saw Lan Di &    suggested I seek    information from    Chinese people  I'll ask Ajiichi    Chinese Rest.   owner Tao-san   A cook will show    you a new path  Ajiichi Chinese Restaurant_across   from Hattori    Sporting Goods    When searching  for Chinese, seek   the 3 Blades    3 Blades:   Knives=@cook    _Manpukuken   Ramen Scissors=@Tailor    _Itoi-san of     Mary's Patches  & Embroidery   Razors=@Barber  _Maeda-san  Ex-3 Blades _Yong-san   _Wu-san (Yong & Wu  frequent bars   in the evenings)    I should visit  Liu Barber &    Hair Salon  Must speak with Liu Senior who  walks in Suzume Park,   nearby Yamaji   Soba Noodles    *Clue   Your guide awaits   in a park for you   Lan Di - black- market Chinese  Organization or Chinese Mafia?  Sailors who work    Hong Kong or    Shanghai import may know about  Must find sailors   Sailors hang out    in bars at    night   Neon lights shall   guide your way  Bars that sailors   frequent:    -MJQ Jazz Bar   -Heartbeats Bar    He you seek waits   on a dark street    Can find sailors    at Heartbeats?  Near Motorcycle Shop.   same side   as Mahjong Parlor   By Slot House   Near Bar Linda  Charlie  -Has arm Tattoo     -Black leather   jacket.    -Sunglasses     -Rides hawg    Heard Charlie's a biker=@   Knocking Motor- cycle Shop for  information Where is    Charlie?    The one you seek    can be found on the night streets   Tattoo=@    Nagai Industries?   Could Charlie   be yakuza?  Nagai Industries    Seek amusement  to proceed=@    Charlie'll be in    Dobuita at night    He's often at the   Military Surplus?   Seen at Jupitor's   Jackets at 7ish?    Ask Tsuruoka-san    (Jacket Shop)   If Charlie had  his tattoo done around here=@   Need to find a  Tattoo Parlor=@ Tattoo Parlor   location=@  Yokosuka Bar's  Akemi should know   Ask Saijo-san   Seek 2 men with arm tattoos.    2 men standing  near motocycles.    Bikers may know about Tattoo    Parlor? A tattooed man  seen at the You Arcade? Go check it out An old apartment    unexpected place    Neon reflecting an apt. bldg. w/    a dragon door?  Tattoo Parlor at    XX Heights? A Tattoo Parlor in Okayama  Heights.    Okayama Heights is  by Manpukuken      Ramen    near Yokosuka Bar   Got a lead on   Charlie!    Return to the   tom.    Meet Charlie    at You Arcade   tom. 3pm.   One awaits you by   pond&cherry tree.   Nozomi seems    to be worried   about me=@  Ine-san gave me letter written  in Chinese  Helped out  a Chinese boy   named Gao Wen   This letter's my    only lead now   I'm sure it will    reveal the next step but=@who   can read this   letter for me?  Nozomi spoke to me yesterday of her feelings=@but   what are mine?  It'd be a good  idea to go talk to Liu-san  Go to Ajiichi=@ Maybe Wang-san  can read it=@but    he's on delivery    Where?  _Dobuita     back street?   _at vending      machine?   Help one troubled   to open the path    Wang-san was    unable to read it   Can anyone else read Chinese?   _Ask around To the East, one    surrounded by old   china awaits you    Xia-san (Russiya    China Shop) might   be able to read it?     _near the   Water Dragon 2  The characters  were reversed!  Letter contents:    Beware of those who seek a Mirror   Should you need help, contact   Master Chen at  0468-     61-5647   Back of letter  |Father's Heaven     Nine Dragons    Mother's Earth  Comrades|  Signed by:  Zhu Yuan Da Call the #  _use the phone at    the Tobacco Shop   Hanging scroll in   altar room reads    |Heaven, Dragon Earth, Comrades|    These terms are interchangeable:    Heaven is Dragon    Earth is Comrade    Comrade  Earth  Dragon  Heaven  and so on=@ |Father's Heaven|    is a password! I need to locate    Warehouse No. 8.    _Can I get the  address from the    phone number?   Need to call 104    One who is fond of you can help Area code 61    is for Amihama  Sm. shop near Bus   Stop is your gate   Warehouse # 8 is    in New Yokosuka Harbor? _Go by bus  The Bus Stop for    Amihama is near the Tobacco Shop    Keep searching=@    Where's Warehouse   No. 8?  _Check #'s  Got directions  from a guy  named Goro=@    _Enter harbor and   take a right    Made friends with   old homeless man    living in harbor.   Can't enter ware-   house from front    Wonder if there's   another way in? Look for alleyway   w/ wooden crates    2 Warehouse #8's    _The other is in    the Old Ware-   house District  I'll find Old #8!   Hisaka-san (Lunch   Box Stand) knows    the harbor well Listen to the sea   wind from the NW    Old Warehouse   District is NW  From entrance go    straight and left   Lack of guards  on night shift=@    Heavy security in   day_Night is my only chance to  sneak in    Hisaka-san is   worried about her   sister Mai=@    Where's Mai?    _the far side of    New District near   Warehouse No. 17    Mai should be   all right now   Report to Hisaka-   san so she won't    worry anymore=@ I was careless=@    What's happened to Mai? To a sea scented    land in the NW  fortune shall   visit at night  Aim for after   guard shift change _8 pm.   =@must wait      until nighttime    to sneak into #8.   Met with Master Chen in Old Warehouse No.8  Lan Di is leader    of a Chinese    organization    called   Chi You Men    He uses a deadly    martial art style   It seems another    mirror, called  the Phoenix Mirror,exists   Password:   Heaven, Dragon,  Earth, Comrades    The Phoenix Mirror must be  somewhere in our    house=@it's my  only lead so=@  I must find it! Someone familiar    is awaiting you I hear Fuku-san is looking for me   Father apparently   took something to   the Antique Shop    Could it be the Phoenix Mirror? An elder awaits,    surrounded by   antiques behind closed door to N.   The Antique Shop    is opposite the lunch box stand.    Dad left me the Hazuki Family   Sword Handguard.    Lan Di will never   get the other   mirror! Legend of    -Heaven, Dragon,   Earth, Comrades-    9 Dragons born of   Father's Heaven grow on Mother's    Earth to become land gods. Even today, they're  respected as both   parents&comrades    and are believed    to protect Hong Kong from natural   disasters.  In the dark, near   is item you seek.   Snow ring, two  stars, one sword    _The Hazuki  Family Crest   Candlelight in a    large room, sword   & then handguard.   The hanging scroll must have    some meaning.   Is there anything   in Dad's room?  A hidden door   in the Dojo=@   Found a basement    Could the Phoenix   Mirror be here? The gods help   those who   perseveres=@    Found an old    photo of Dad    Floor scratches?    This shelf's been   moved=@why? Is there a space    behind the wall?    I need to break     the wall=@how?  Fuku-san Tips:  -floor scratches    -part of wall a  different color    Got the Phoenix Mirror! Must go see Master Chen Father's Heaven,    Nine Dragons,   Mother's Earth, Comrades,   are words that  interchangeable The Phoenix is a    sacred guardian of Chinese legend          ^            Protector of the    North Star  (highest emperor)   In China    the Big Dipper  was also highly respected like  the North Star  for a long time Phoenix Mirror's    made of precious    stone only found    in Gui Lin region   Carved by master    artist by mandate   from an ancient emperor=@   Secret of Ying- Yang - All items    harbor both good    and evil fortune.   Is there meaning    other than that of the legend?  When the Dragon ascends & the   Phoenix descends,   Something occurs.   Lan Di still does   not know there  are two Mirrors.    A creepy skinhead   (from ChiYouMen?)   tried to     steal the    Phoenix Mirror    The Chi You Men and MAD ANGELS  are connected.  MAD ANGELS are  enemies of Master   Chen's group.   It appears Lan Di   has already left    for Hong Kong.  I must go to    Hong Kong ASAP. But how?    No connections  No money.   I should talk to    Fuku-san    Fuku-san said   A cheap Travel  Co. in Dobuita  I don't want to worry Ine-san   I'll get to Hong    Kong on my own! First I need to     check the Travel    Co's in Dobuita.    Find out how    much it costs   to get to   Hong Kong   Megumi was  worried because the kitten was  missing=@   We found the    kitten! I'm sure    Megumi's happy. I heard that the    Global Travel   Agency has a good   reputation=@    Asia Travel Co. near Yaokatsu   Produce has bad How much is a ticket to Hong Kong?  _Global Travel-   198,000Yen ,  _Asia Travel-     158,000Yen    Got pamphlets for   Hong Kong fares but too expensive   Maybe I should  discuss this with   Fuku-san again? Fuku-san gave me    his life savings    I mustn't waste his money!  Someone must    know a cheaper  way of getting  to Hong Kong!   Should ask Nozomi   at Aida Florist.    Wang-san(Ajiichi)   may also know=@ Ask Saijo-san at    Yokosuka Bar too.   Tatsumi (Water  Dragon) opposite    Hokuhoku Lunches    may have info.  Boat fare is less   than plane fare!    _Ask at travel   agencies again.    A travel agency bodes lucky.    Strong sign from    Travel Co. He you   seek has gone.  For boat fare go    to Asia Travel  Purchased   boat ticket at  _69,000 Yen Pick up ticket  at Asia Travel  in 4 hours. Arranged to get new ticket  with man from   The woman at    ran off with my money!  Man from Asia   Travel Co. will contact me tom. Nozomi brought  flowers for altar   Jimmy (Asia Travel) called  _Meet at You     Arcade at Noon That skinhead   showed up again!    Who is he?  Where did he go?    Could Jimmy from    be one of them? Go to   Jimmy swindled me   is a member of  the MAD ANGELS  MAD ANGELS- gang    who extort&harass   harbor workers  I'll meet the MAD   ANGELS if I work    in harbor so I'll   go look for work.   To the NE near  the sea there is    a lucky person. Wonder if it'd  be quicker to   find work if I  ask the foreman?    _Saw him at  Warehouse No.18    Eri was worried because Nozomi  seems depressed lately=@    Suppose I should    be concerned too    Meet Nozomi at  Sakuragaoka Park    She cried but I couldn't comfort    her=@Nozomi, pls.   don't leave w/out   saying goodbye! Goro says he'll find a job for me   _Tom. noon at    Warehouse No.1  at Blue door   Go to the place to meet Goro    Near a bldg. w/ fishermen & sea is that you seek.   Speak to Yada-san   at Alpha Trading    Office by 2pm   The office is in    a bldg. w/ |Alpha   Trading| sign   Started job     driving forklifts   _Mark will   instruct me    Part-time job:  Start at 9 am.  2hr lunch break untill 5pm daily    Wage: 300\ per  crate, raise    given once  quota is met    I've got to try to gather info. about the MAD   ANGELS while    working at docks    MAD ANGELS  what kind of    gang is it? _Many foreigners    _Backed by  Chinese Cartel. _kills and dumps    bodies in the sea   Fallen angels   toy with your   new friends.    Mark seems to be    troubled=@ _He  knows something?    Master Chen and are rivals. Where are the   MAD ANGELS? Be wary of evil lurking in the  dark, seeking to    do you harm.    People have been    on edge lately? _meet up behind  Warehouse No.17    When you help a new friend, a new   path shall open.    Mark's brother  may have been   killed after    leaking some    |important info.|   But what info.? The info. was:  MAD ANGELS were making a deal w/    the Chi You Men If I follow them    they'll lead me to Chi You Men! In the dark of  night the sea is    full of evil but    in good time,   this evil may   I heard that    bikers gather   at night    (Near the   Harbor Cafeteria)   Is that them?   One w/ grudge has   dangerous hint  Lan Di is still in the harbor!  Find out more   about the trade=@   A co-worker said he feels   we're being spied   on during work  The MAD ANGELS? Am I being spied    on by them too? Good=@that will     make it easier to   look for them   Come on out!    Mark heard about    |Long Zha|  What is it? Long Zha - blk. market dealings between Chinese org.& MAD ANGELS    When is the next    Long Zha deal?  There are 2 paths   and both may    close should you    hesitate.   2 foreigners I  rarely see  (Tony& Smith)   =@are part of     Long Zha? _I hear they're  hanging around  the Cafeteria. It seems Goro   and Mai are getting married I need to find a    guy called Terry    Nozomi's been   kidnapped!  I have to get to    Warehouse No.17 by 3:30am!  To get to the   harbor quickly=@    _Bus X  Won't make it!  I'll make it if I   go by motorcycle!   _Ask Ono-san at  Motorcycle Shop     about borrowing.   Try to borrow   Naoyuki Ito's   (Sakuragaoka)   motorcycle. Nozomi is fine. Had to promise  Terry I'd beat up   Chen Gui Zhang  Tom. at 10pm go to Warehouse # 9    Promised to have    lunch with Tom  I got fired from my job=@   Friends close to    you are leaving.    I should    check with  everybody=@ Tom went home to    the United States   I defeated Terry    but Lan Di's gone   to Hong Kong=@  Nozomi gave me  an amulet   Take care, Nozomi   and everyone=@  Master Chen gave    me a letter of  introduction for    Tao Li Shao-san,    a martial arts  master who lives    in Hong Kong.
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Skyrim

Return to Shenmue