Should an HD release be a port or a fresh remake?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Should an HD release be a port or a fresh remake?

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 am

Maybe this topic has been done before but I don't want to dig through. Naturally, we all want an HD release of the first two games. The question is, how do we want it? Of course a straight port of the original Dreamcast release is one thing, but considering that the third game will be made with the Unreal Engine, do you think the first two games should be remade with the Unreal Engine.

Considering with the second game, you could carry over your saves from the first, I still want an HD release where my saves from Shenmue 1 and 2 would carry over to Shenmue 3 to make your own complete story with your move list, items, etc. I also feel that by remaking the game from scratch through UE4, it would give players both old and new to not only re-explore the game, but give players a more direct preview of what is to come in the third installment.
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: Should an HD release be a port or a fresh remake?

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm

I'd be happy with a port, especially if they added some of II's features to I like saving on demand, the "wait" prompt, and maybe a minimap. Another thing I've always wanted is to be able to listen to the cassette player without standing with the menu open. That would have made the forklift job much less mundane.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:52 pm

Proper remakes would be a dream but they'd take too much time and money and I think the games derserve a polish because they still have enough quality to shine again. Just put some slight tweaks in it, like the ones Mr357 mentioned and that's it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Testament » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:58 am

RyoHazuki84 wrote: Maybe this topic has been done before but I don't want to dig through. Naturally, we all want an HD release of the first two games. The question is, how do we want it? Of course a straight port of the original Dreamcast release is one thing, but considering that the third game will be made with the Unreal Engine, do you think the first two games should be remade with the Unreal Engine.

Considering with the second game, you could carry over your saves from the first, I still want an HD release where my saves from Shenmue 1 and 2 would carry over to Shenmue 3 to make your own complete story with your move list, items, etc. I also feel that by remaking the game from scratch through UE4, it would give players both old and new to not only re-explore the game, but give players a more direct preview of what is to come in the third installment.

This would take more time, money, and effort than Shenmue III. People don't seem to realize how much goes into making this stuff "from scratch."

I'm fine with a port.
Testament

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks for your input. But I just want a game where my saves from an HD Shenmue would transfer over.

Hopefully in the future, HD releases from the UE4 engine can be released regardless.
RyoHazuki84

Currently playing: Shenmue

Return to Shenmue